PDA

View Full Version : Why are my plants wilting?

Plastron
19th Jun 2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to aquascaping and shrimp keeping so I need all the help I can get. :bs_help:

I get these really healthy looking plants and moss from the store like mini pellia, najas etc...and after having them in my tank for about 3 days, they start to wilt and turn a bit brown.

I've got my DIY CO2 running with a Hydor Ario 2 as the diffuser, water temp is around 27~28C with fan (I live in a rather hot climate). I'm using JBL Proflora start set (Aquabasis+ is sandwiched about 2~4cm thick between small gravel about 1cm thick and I haven't used any of the fertilizers yet since I'm supposed to wait 3~4 weeks. Just did a water change last night and added 2 teaspoons of ADA Bacter 100. I've also got an air pump oxygenating the water thru an air stone at night. Using a normal flourescent tube for light (was wondering if that really bright Philips Energysaver tube is good?). I'm using a hang on filter which does a pretty quick job of clearing the water after moving things around :P.

The funny thing is, I have a simple guppy(6 albinoes) tank at my office with no soil, no CO2, nothing...just a mini air pump operated filter and air stone and one of my identical java moss that came from the same batch is triving while in my "serious" tank mentioned above it's turning brown. What's going on? :huh:

Btw, I have 2 green shrimps, 3 tiger shrimps and 4 cherry reds. That's what was left after 1 tiger and 1 cherry red was found dead this morning. I suspect they were the two that just molted and stupid me did a water change that might have casued them to die. :embarasse

Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me out...Thanks~!

sorab
22nd Jun 2007, 12:12 PM
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the temperature is a bit high, some plants do fine at 28C but most prefer it cooler, does your office have air conditioner keeping the guppy tank cooler?

Maybe an air driven sponge filter would be better for the tank as it creates no extra heat in the water, the hob can produce quite a bit of heat. Cherry shrimp can deal with 27-28C but they wonít be at their happiest, I donít know about green shrimp but the tigers wonít do very well in water that warm.

Donít know if thatís any help but good luck!

Xema
22nd Jun 2007, 02:49 PM
How many watts per liter have you on lighting?

retardo
23rd Jun 2007, 02:45 AM
Are you supplementing your plants' nutrition by adding fertilizers? Plants need Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), Potassium (K), Iron (Fe), and trace minerals to truly thrive. Simply adding CO2 is not enough.

Plastron
25th Jun 2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your inputs guys~!
Here are a few things I found out from some local help over here:
1. My light is not strong enough. Getting a JBL Solar today.
2. There was a damselfly larvae that I just caught last night. That shrimp MURDERER~!
3. I just found out about NPK and used it last weekend after a 20% water change.

Now the questions:
1. 1 fan lowered my temp from 30C to 27C, will a 2nd fan lower it 3 more degrees?
2. How can I ensure I don't get anymore carnivorous larvae in my tank?

retardo
25th Jun 2007, 03:46 PM
1. How many watts per gallon of lighting do you have?
2. Check your plants before you put them in your tank. This can be accomplished by putting new plants into a quarantine period (no more than a week).
3. NPK covers your macro fertilizers. You will still need iron (Fe) and trace elements (magnesium and others) to help your plants thrive.

Plastron
25th Jun 2007, 08:49 PM
Err...I have no idea how to calculate the Watts per gallon but I do know that I have a 15 liter tank and I'm using a 15W tube. Does that help?
I thought that iron, magnesium, etc was to be added only after a month of plant acclimatization to the tank?

retardo
26th Jun 2007, 01:36 AM
15L is approximately 4 US gallons, so you have about 3.75wpg, which is considered moderate lighting. You should be able to grow just about anything with that amount of light... I certainly would not say that your lighting is not strong enough...

Your plants need a relatively constant source of nutrients to grow properly... If you dose only NPK for a month w/o micros/trace elements, your plants will grow, but may not be deficient in some nutrients and show some signs of it. Also, as far as I know, there isn't an acclimation period for plants.

bsmith782
30th Jun 2007, 02:04 AM
do you do any kind if fertilazaton suplimentation?

if you have moderate lighting and co2 you will need to use ferts, for sure.

B

Plastron
2nd Jul 2007, 10:57 AM
I'm using Nutrafin NPK and JBL Ferropol at every water change. I'm also using JBL Ferropol 24 Daily drops. Other than that, I'm using ADA Bacter 100. Anything else I need?

bsmith782
2nd Jul 2007, 01:02 PM
do you use co2?

Plastron
2nd Jul 2007, 02:22 PM
Yup. DIY system.

bsmith782
3rd Jul 2007, 01:13 AM
im thinking you need more fertilization.

in my tank (only 2.24 wpg) i suppliment with

1/4 tsp of KNO3 and
1/16 tsp of KH2PO4, 3 times a week.
on alternate days
i use 10ml of tropica tpn (similar to flourish or whatever comprehensive macro nutrient you choose)

B