PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp and Dwarf Puffer Compatibility?

tridacna
17th Jun 2007, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have experience concerning compatibility of shrimps and dwarf puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)? Or, will keeping both in the same tank turn out to be an expensive proposition?

I'm cycling my 40 gal planted tank in preparation for shrimps (soon, hopefully). However, I was forced to introduce two dwarf puffers today to combat a snail infestation (looks like generic pond snails, adults no larger than 3-5 mm).

Thanks!

Sannie
17th Jun 2007, 08:49 PM
Not a good idea... my dwarf puffers ate all my young dwarfcrays... so the shrimp will be a nice treat too ;)

wifi
18th Jun 2007, 05:54 AM
The combo sound bad. Puffer mouth is able to break the shell of shrimps.

amber2461
18th Jun 2007, 07:27 AM
I have no problems with them at all. I have 2 dwarf puffer and cherry shrimps living together in harmony in a 10 gallon tank ... the dwarf ignores them ... the shrimps are in various stages of life and sizes.

tridacna
18th Jun 2007, 03:17 PM
Marge,

Do you feed the puffers well? Is that the secret to harmony with the shrimps? How long have you had the two together? And, did you introduce the puffers to the shrimp, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

nano
18th Jun 2007, 03:27 PM
Quite sometime back I had one puffer and handful shrimp before... they are ok together but nobody actually believed me that I put them together... but can't remember if I had shrimplet at that time. The puffer did nip some of the tetra tail though.

Anyway, now my puffer is in heaven already.

Zebrapl3co
19th Jun 2007, 04:31 AM
This combination may or may not work. It depends heavily on your set up. As hard as it is to believe, they can co-exists together. I've keep 4 puffers in a 29G with cherry shirmps. There are lots of java moss for the shrimps to hid and that prevents the puffer from eating all of them. Although I have to admit, the puffers are always full, so you just have to wonder why is that ... I just hope it's the snails they where eating and not the shrimps. I've had this setup for 1 1/2 year and both are still doing great.
On another tank, a 5G, I have 2 puffers and 15 cherry shrimps. I didn't have as much plants for the shrimps to hid, and needless to say, they all slowly disappeared.

tridacna
19th Jun 2007, 10:11 AM
What you (and others) say makes much sense.

My conclusion is: puffers will eat shrimp, and the shrimps' net reproduction rate (based on plant density, shrimp/puffer ratio, addition of puffer food, etc) determines whether the mixed aquarium is stable or not.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback.

toddnbecka
8th Jul 2007, 03:29 PM
I have a 10 gallon setup that had several hundred cherry shrimp thriving nicely, along with a similar number of snails. I added a DP to control the snail population, and sold/moved out quite a few of the shrimp. I actually oversold the shrimp, and ended up shipping out most of the breeding-size females to cover the demand. After that, I added a couple dozen new shrimp from 2 different sources to replenish the breeding stock. After finally realizing the number of shrimp was declining, I moved out the DP (that was a couple months back.) Currently there are probably a half-dozen shrimp in the tank, the substrate is littered with empty ramshorn shells, and there are loads of tiny snails everywhere. I've read accounts of some folks who didn't have any problems, but I do believe the DP I had was eating nearly as many shrimp as snails.
On the other hand, I have a 30 long that houses N. zhangjiajiensis, dwarf crayfish, and Asolene spixi snails in addition to the ramshorns and MTS. Between the spixi's (they eat snail eggs, even their own) and the dwarf crayfish picking off the young snails, they don't run amok like they did in the 10.

tridacna
9th Jul 2007, 03:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your experiences, goddnbecka.

I believe that the smaller size of your aquarium (and probably no plants/thin plants) led to your results. Shrimps are undoubtedly easier, tastier food than hard snails.

In a larger, planted aquarium, the risks are probably much lower or not a problem at all. I've introduced ghost shrimps into my 40 gal heavily planted tank as a test (30 cents apiece). After about 3 weeks, there's been no signs of predation. So, I've gone ahead and ordered my first batch of crs. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

toddnbecka
9th Jul 2007, 05:13 AM
Actually, the tank was loaded with plants, so many it was some time before I realized there were only a few shrimp remaining. I cleaned out more than half of the plants after the DP was removed, and still had too many left. The shrimp seem to do better with some plants, but not a crowded (plantwise) tankful. I have seen a berried female, so I'm just pateintly waiting for them to reproduce.

dixienut
14th Nov 2007, 11:27 PM
i have a 20 gallon long with 5 dwarf puffers and to test them i put ghosts in with them and they were fine so i moved them to another tank and added some cherry shrimp and they are fine there also is a few amanos in there, the puffs leave them alone, they don't like them cause the shrimp use them to bounce off of in tank while swimming, its funny. the puffs look like they are saying hey stop that. lol

emorsso
15th Nov 2007, 12:29 AM
The risk is too high. Once there isn't any food in the tank, the puffer(s) will acquire a taste for shrimps. I had several bad experiences with that on Cherry Shrimps and CRS as well.

blackBRUSHalgae
2nd Dec 2007, 02:03 AM
NEVER mix them! My 50G tank is heavily planted with only one dwarf puffer along with many malayan shrimps. Any size of my shrimps, my puffer will hunt and wack them, and as soon as a shrimp takes a hit, the rest of my green neons and SAEs will join in... talk about feeding frenzy >.<

funkycat
2nd Dec 2007, 07:42 PM
It really must depend on each puffer.
Mine must be really passive cuz he's doing fine w/ amanos, otos and khuli loaches.

Best way to see is to start with some cheap shrimp like ghosts and see what happens, if everything is hunkydory then you're fine for more expensive shrimp.

Although i supposed cherries and crs might be more appealing as they are more bite sized =P.