PDA

View Full Version : Shipping shrimps

Pconnieae
12th Mar 2005, 08:04 AM
Hi all,

I'm living in France and it is very difficult here to find shrimps. A friend of mine who is living near Germany will soon go there to buy crystal red shrimps to a German hobbyist. I would like him to send me a few of his shrimps but I don't know exactly if it is possible. I only have experience in sending killifish. If it is possible to send shrimps, is there something special to do?

Robert
12th Mar 2005, 08:18 AM
Hi,
it's not that difficult to ship shrimps. Do not feed them for two days. Put some tank water in the bag which should be not that old (so do a water change a few days later, water straight from the tap is not the best choice). Put also some pieces of plants in the bag, so that the shrimps will find a place to sit and hide. No food should be added into the bag.
At the moment it's very cold in Europe because it's winter, so to ship them is not the best idea. The best thing would be if you find someone who brings them to you by car. In Germany we have a "Mitfahrerzentrale", a homepage where people can ask strangers to take them with them. So you look for someone who will drive to the city you want and you ask him if you could go with him. They often also transport small pieces of luggage for you. I don't know if you have something like this in France but it would be the best thing because it's the warmest and fasted way to ship the shrimps.
If you do not find someone who can take them with him for you to your city, you will have to send them via DHL, FedEx etc. Use a thick styrofoam box, put a headpack (a small pillow which produces heat for 24 hours with the help of a chemical reaction) inside and use double bags to make sure that nothing can happen to the shrimps. Fill the box with foam chips or new papers. If you can find a small styrofoam box which fits into a bigger one, use them. It's much safer for the shrimps. All in all you should try to isolate the packet as good as you can.

Good luck and best regards

Robert

jojoecute
12th Mar 2005, 08:20 AM
Hi morning...

Welcome to this shrimp paradise website....

Your friend going to hand carry to you or by airfreight shipping...
Fisrtly most shrimps need cool water temp & also some loose plants eg. moss for it to clink on it...

I don't know how many pcs he gonna carry for you...

My ideal a small packaging foam box with a little water to keep the temp low..
Pack the shrimps into plastic bag on 75-80% oxygen and it ready for shipping..

Good luck to you..

Hi all,

I'm living in France and it is very difficult here to find shrimps. A friend of mine who is living near Germany will soon go there to buy red crystal shrimps to a German hobbyist. I would like him to send me a few of his shrimps but I don't know exactly if it is possible. I only have experience in sending killifish. If it is possible to send shrimps, is there something special to do?

Pconnieae
12th Mar 2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your advices :)

In fact my friend is living 500km far from my city so he will send the shrimps by airmail. He hasn't got the shrimps yet. He will buy them at the end of April I think. In Europe, Winter is very long this year :( .

If it is possible to send shrimps, I will be able to send a few red cherry shrimps to other friends too. It is nearly impossible to find other shrimps than Yamato shrimps here. And when you finally find red cherry or bumble bee shrimps, the price is incredible. For example I paid my red cherry shrimps about 8 US$ a piece :eek:.