PDA

View Full Version : Mossies Problem

Class 66
22nd Apr 2005, 09:50 AM
Just wondering if you guys have this problem with your shrimp tank........out of my three shrimp tanks, I found that one of the tank housing the green shrimps have this mosquitos breeding problem. Every day when I switch on the light in the early morning, I saw some mosquitos hovering above the surface. This worrying as I have kids at home !
How to stop this mosquito breeding?............Thanks in advance!!!

simcb
22nd Apr 2005, 10:25 AM
Just wondering if you guys have this problem with your shrimp tank........out of my three shrimp tanks, I found that one of the tank housing the green shrimps have this mosquitos breeding problem. Every day when I switch on the light in the early morning, I saw some mosquitos hovering above the surface. This worrying as I have kids at home !
How to stop this mosquito breeding?............Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Class 66,

Do you use a fan to cool that tank? Cooling Fans creates surface agitation and making it hard for most mosquitoes and midget flies to land. My tank near the window always have 1-2 mosquitoes drowned occasionally got to scoop them up :undecided if you are using top(hanging filter) maybe cover up the holes to prevent insects from laying eggs in them.

Or as additional prevention, get some shrimp friendly fishes like species of the genus Boraras. I currently having Boraras brigittae to do my bug control cause I never see them take a bite at my new born shrimplets. They prefer nematodes (free floating wriggly worms) and rotifers (bugs). Not sure whether they eat mosquito larvaes cause I don't have any to test on :D . Just make sure you don't put too many Boraras spp. in the tank, 1-2 is enough for a 2ft tank (to keep those nasty looking bugs at minimum).

Hope it helps :) .

Class 66
22nd Apr 2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Class 66,

Do you use a fan to cool that tank? Cooling Fans creates surface agitation and making it hard for most mosquitoes and midget flies to land. My tank near the window always have 1-2 mosquitoes drowned occasionally got to scoop them up :undecided if you are using top(hanging filter) maybe cover up the holes to prevent insects from laying eggs in them.

Or as additional prevention, get some shrimp friendly fishes like boraras family. I currently having boraras brigittae to do my bug control cause I never see them take a bite at my new born shrimplets. They prefer nematodes(free floating wriggly worms) and rotifers(bugs). Not sure whether they eat mosquito larvaes cause i don't have any to test on :D . Just make sure you don't put too many boraras in the tank, 1-2 is enough for a 2ft tank(to keep those nasty looking bugs at minimum).

Hope it helps :) .

Most of my tanks are covered, only left the feeding holes....still the mosquitos can get in ! Currently, not using any fans but the air bubbles creates sufficient 'waves' :D
Any picture of the 'boraras' fishes ? I 'm worried get the wrong fishes! :) Thanks!

simcb
22nd Apr 2005, 10:58 AM
Most of my tanks are covered, only left the feeding holes....still the mosquitos can get in ! Currently, not using any fans but the air bubbles creates sufficient 'waves' :D
Any picture of the 'boraras' fishes ? I 'm worried get the wrong fishes! :) Thanks!
Here's some links to the pictures.

Boraras brigittae
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=22509&genusname=Boraras&speciesname=brigittae
Boraras maculatus
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=10879&genusname=Boraras&speciesname=maculatus
Boraras merah
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=22603&genusname=Boraras&speciesname=merah

Lotus
22nd Apr 2005, 11:05 AM
You could cut some mesh screen to cover the holes in the tank to keep the mosquitos out.

Class 66
22nd Apr 2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the links and advices......... :)

Walter
22nd Apr 2005, 01:18 PM
i dont think the mosquitoes can breed at all. As what you described, there is agitation in the water, i dont think they can lay their eggs in that suituation. :)

Class 66
25th Apr 2005, 01:20 PM
i dont think the mosquitoes can breed at all. As what you described, there is agitation in the water, i dont think they can lay their eggs in that suituation. :)

On closer observations, those aren't mosquitos but definitely some sort of insect that look like mosquito and it really irritating by the sight :(. Don't you guys have this problem :huh:?

simcb
25th Apr 2005, 02:13 PM
On closer observations, those aren't mosquitos but definitely some sort of insect that look like mosquito....and it really irritating by the sight. :( Don't you guys have this problem? :huh:

I dont cover up my shrimp tanks maybe thats why i dont get insects trapped. Occassionally there will be 1 -2 dead insects floating on the surface other than that i didnt see any mosquito larve in my tanks.

Is your tank near the window? Is your place near any forest or big drains? If yes those insect are more likely to visit you at night when your tank lights are on. The light is like homing beacon to calling out to them.

Just a suggestion:
If you dont cover the tank they will escape and you wouldnt see them or try closing the windows.

Class 66
25th Apr 2005, 02:17 PM
I dont cover up my shrimp tanks maybe thats why i dont get insects trapped. Occassionally there will be 1 -2 dead insects floating on the surface other than that i didnt see any mosquito larve in my tanks.

The insects might be attract by your tank lights? Is your tank near the window?

Just a suggestion:
If you dont cover the tank they will escape and you wouldnt see them.

My tanks are away from windows......but the insect are of the same kind, mosquito look-a-like....If I don't cover my tanks, I have a bigger problem.......my son :D !!

simcb
25th Apr 2005, 02:26 PM
My tanks are away from windows......but the insect are of the same kind, mosquito look-a-like....If I don't cover my tanks, I have a bigger problem.......my son !! :D

Hmm... seems that your area is seriously infested with these insects. Where are you staying now? in Singapore?

I have seem some food courts with those insect zappers(boxes) that runs on electricity with a purple light. The insect will get lured into the light and get zapped. I have seem smaller(portable) version sold in local supermarkets in singapore however i am not sure how effective,safe or expensive the thing is?

Maybe you can have a look at those.

Class 66
25th Apr 2005, 02:45 PM
Hmm... seems that your area is seriously infested with these insects. Where are you staying now? in Singapore?

I have seem some food courts with those insect zappers(boxes) that runs on electricity with a purple light. The insect will get lured into the light and get zapped. I have seem smaller(portable) version sold in local supermarkets in singapore however i am not sure how effective,safe or expensive the thing is?

Maybe you can have a look at those.

I staying in Bukit Panjang 22nd storey! Maybe the insect are commando trained . :undecided
Maybe I'll try to make open up more holes so that the insect will not be trapped inside, then, I won't be able to see the insect . :D

Walter
25th Apr 2005, 05:22 PM
lol I guess simcb was right about the insect probably can't escape. But since you said it was to prevent your son to do funny stuffs with your tank, I guess u let the cover stay lol. :D I think they are flying termites? They are attracted to lights.

anyway yup I think drilling more holes would be better as well :).

Class 66
26th Apr 2005, 08:48 AM
lol I guess simcb was right about the insect probably can't escape. But since you said it was to prevent your son to do funny stuffs with your tank, I guess u let the cover stay.lol :D I think they are flying termites? They are attracted to lights.

anyway yup I think drilling more holes would be better as well. :)

Thanks for the advice!

Just wondering if they will create any health hazard, especially to young kids?

simcb
26th Apr 2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Just wondering if they will create any health hazard, especially to young kids?

If its flying termites, they wouldnt harm young kids instead they might nest and eat through your solid wood furnitures :shocked: . So far no one has reported such an incidence yet :D . I guess its quite safe unless the insect is something else you might have to do some research to comfirm.

gigahertz
26th Apr 2005, 11:12 AM
I'm having a similar problem with some insect lava swimming around in my tank. The lava in my tank are very small so I don't think that they are mosquito lava.

We had a very wet winter that's causing more of an insect problem this year.

I move 5 of my baby Furcata rainbows ( about 1cm long ) to eat up the lava. I hope they will stay away from my baby shrimps.

ah_siao
26th Apr 2005, 12:16 PM
keep 1 or 2 of those small fishes that will eat them up once the larva got cleared up then u can catch themout.

myrontay
23rd May 2006, 06:27 PM
I think this is the best place to put my query: in my shrimp breeding tanks, I have discovered mosquito larve. I have since allowed the water level to be lowered to such a level as to allow the water circulation from the filter to breech the surface of the water so that the water in some parts of the tank is not still. However, I am afraid some parts of the surface of my two feet tank is still quite still. How do I address the mosquito breeding problem in the shrimp breeding tanks?

centuryegg75
23rd May 2006, 08:00 PM
I got a 3 ft and would like some fish in there to give it some life. Seems that Boras are shrimp safe even for babies. Can they be kept in schools? Or rather do they school? If yes would like to get 10 pieces. Advisable?

myrontay
25th May 2006, 11:26 AM
get some shrimp friendly fishes like species of the genus Boraras. I currently having Boraras brigittae to do my bug control cause I never see them take a bite at my new born shrimplets. They prefer nematodes (free floating wriggly worms) and rotifers (bugs). Not sure whether they eat mosquito larvaes cause I don't have any to test on :D . Just make sure you don't put too many Boraras spp. in the tank, 1-2 is enough for a 2ft tank (to keep those nasty looking bugs at minimum). Hi Simcb

Do you still hold to the above?

Jenova
26th May 2006, 10:50 AM
I think this is the best place to put my query: in my shrimp breeding tanks, I have discovered mosquito larve. I have since allowed the water level to be lowered to such a level as to allow the water circulation from the filter to breech the surface of the water so that the water in some parts of the tank is not still. However, I am afraid some parts of the surface of my two feet tank is still quite still. How do I address the mosquito breeding problem in the shrimp breeding tanks?

Hi,

Do you use surface skimmer? I think that might help.

Regards,
John

myrontay
26th May 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Do you use surface skimmer? I think that might help.

Regards,
JohnGreat idea, John. Why didn't I think of that? :p

Any good ones to recommend?