PDA

View Full Version : Blue Shrimp

Class 66
21st Apr 2005, 11:47 AM
I bought some blue shrimps recently, initially the shrimps were blue in colour, later some of them turn to reddish and some to brownish in colour. And only 2 remains in blue. :(
Can anyone tell me what is the problem ? Is it some to do with the water chemistry or there is others reason ? :undecided The tank were initially housed some cherry reds which I had transfered them to a bigger tank, do a 50% water changed before I put the Blues in......Tks!

simcb
21st Apr 2005, 11:53 AM
I bought some blue shrimps recently, initially the shrimps were blue in colour, later some of them turn to reddish and some to brownish in colour. And only 2 remains in blue. :(
Can anyone tell me what is the problem ? Is it some to do with the water chemistry or there is others reason ? :undecided The tank were initially housed some cherry reds which I had transfered them to a bigger tank, do a 50% water changed before I put the Blues in......Tks!

Did u acclimatized them or just dump in the shrimps? Temperature?
Give them sometime to get use to your tank. Maybe they are just stress from the journey.

marcus
21st Apr 2005, 01:53 PM
that happen to me when i brought the shrimp from one of the shop in seletar fish farm first few day still blue then after that some light red some brown.. ...but after few mth few of the the shirmps carry egg on their leg so not so bad .. was wondering are the shirmp the same spcies as those we use it to feed LH :)

Class 66
21st Apr 2005, 02:07 PM
that happen to me when i brought the shrimp from one of the shop in seletar fish farm first few day still blue then after that some light red some brown.. ...but after few mth few of the the shirmps carry egg on their leg so not so bad .. was wondering are the shirmp the same spcies as those we use it to feed LH :)

then, are the off springs blue or not ? Does that mean that those changed colour are females and had been hit by males? thru the library, some of these 'blue' can be 'man-made'........just wondering whether I've been con by the LSH? >(

marcus
21st Apr 2005, 02:13 PM
nope is not blue is most of them brown if not abit like tiger shrimps.. i think both of us have been con .. saw the tread too ...but few grown up shrimps is colourless wonder is it those we use to feed LH ...
then, are the off springs blue or not ? Does that mean that those changed colour are females and had been hit by males? thru the library, some of these 'blue' can be 'man-made'........just wondering whether I've been con by the LSH? >(

Class 66
21st Apr 2005, 02:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone have the 'true blue' shrimp around in the market :huh: ......guess there's still lots to learn in shrimp keeping. :embarasse

any expert out there can clarified this strange phenomenon??

marcus
21st Apr 2005, 02:40 PM
ya man me also very new in shrimp .. any way few of my shrimp is giving birth . few of the egg have hatch .... .. took one of the pregnent shrimp to my newly setup office tank and it also hatch .... can see 2-3 small fries in the tank this morning :))
Just wondering if anyone have the 'true blue' shrimp around in the market :huh: ......guess there's still lots to learn in shrimp keeping. :embarasse

any expert out there can clarified this strange phenomenon??

Robert
21st Apr 2005, 03:23 PM
Hi,
you probably have a blue "malayan" shrimp or one of the so called "malayan" or rainbow shrimps. There are at least two species under this name, both looks quit similar and can change there coloration but one of them, the smaller species, should be able to breed in freshwater, so it belongs to the high order kind of shrimps. This smaller species looks like this:

http://www.shrimpnow.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/C_blue2.jpg

I bought such shrimps too a few months ago and all were blue or dark bluish-grey. Now none of them is even a bit bluish but they are grey, greenish grey or brown. It seems as if they show this blue coloration only when they are stressed like bumble bee shrimps do. Sadly, I have no offspring so far, perhaps my only male does not want to do its job.

BTW, the other, bigger and more often sold as "malayan shrimp" species looks like this:

http://www.people.freenet.de/r.gall/Rueckenstrichgarnele.jpg

It becomes 4cm big and can live quit long. My oldest shrimp of them lived about 2 years in my tanks before it died. I bought this female as a juvenile, so it should be about 2.5 years old when it died. They belong to the low order kind of shrimps and require brackish water in the larvae stages. This is a pregnant female, you can see the small brown eggs if you look closely onto the abdomen:

http://people.freenet.de/r.gall/Rueckenstrichgarnele_mit_Laich.jpg

best regards

Robert

marcus
21st Apr 2005, 03:29 PM
i think mine is the 2nd one in the picture so is a malaya .... huh finally i knoe wat shrimp i have . tks for the infor pal :)
Hi,
you probably have a blue "malayan" shrimp or one of the so called "malayan" or rainbow shrimps. There are at least two species under this name, both looks quit similar and can change there coloration but one of the, the smaller species, should be able to breed in freshwater, so it belongs to the high order kind of shrimps. This smaller species looks like this:

http://www.shrimpnow.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/C_blue2.jpg

I bought such shrimps too a few months ago and all were blue or dark bluish-grey. Now none of them is even a bit bluish but they are grey, greenish grey or brown. It seems as if they show this blue coloration only when they are stressed like bumble bee shrimps do. Sadly, I have no offspring so far, perhaps my only male does not want to do its job.

BTW, the other, bigger and more often sold as "malayan shrimp" species looks like this:

http://www.people.freenet.de/r.gall/Rueckenstrichgarnele.jpg

It becomes 4cm big and can life quit long. My oldest shrimp of them lived about 2 years in my tanks before it died. I bought this female as a juvenile, so it should be about 2.5 years old when it died. They belong to the low order kind of shrimps and require brackish water in the larvae stages. This is a pregnant female, you can see the small brown eggs if you look closely onto the abdomen:

http://people.freenet.de/r.gall/Rueckenstrichgarnele_mit_Laich.jpg

best regards

Robert

Class 66
21st Apr 2005, 03:49 PM
hi,

Very informatives.......so I can assumed that what I have is the malayan shrimp and only when they are stressed up, then they show the blue colour..........currently I've spotted two of them that are already pregnant, hopfully they are able to breed some babies!! :D

By the way, are there really true blue shrimps around that will remains blue when they are not stress, and would appreciate if you are able to produce some more information on these species, how to identify them so that I would not get mixed up again when I go looking for them...

marcus
21st Apr 2005, 03:52 PM
congrats ur also pregnant .... going to be granfather soon kekeke mine can see small fries swiming around . few of then still yet to hatch :)
hi,

Very informatives.......so I can assumed that what I have is the malayan shrimp and only when they are stressed up, then they show the blue colour..........currently I've spotted two of them that are already pregnant, hopfully they are able to breed some babies!! :D

By the way, are there really true blue shrimps around that will remains blue when they are not stress, and would appreciate if you are able to produce some more information on these species, how to identify them so that I would not get mixed up again when I go looking for them...