PDA

View Full Version : Mini Pellia (10x smaller than Pellia)!!

TheTeh
23rd May 2007, 07:39 AM
See photos here: http://www.theteh.com/html/mini_pellia__monosolenium_sp__.html

I bought a small clumps of Mini Pellia (?) from Malaysia (Jan 2007). Not sure of the scientific ID of this plant but I was told it belongs to the Monosolenium species. Please let me know if you know the true ID of this plant!

Unfortunately, 90% of the plant died during postage (1 week journey). But I tied the remaining 10% of fragments onto two pieces of stones in the hope that they will survive. Luckly they survived! However, they are so slow growing that, after nearly 5 months, they are finally large enough for me to take some photographs for this ‘mini’ article!

GlitcH
23rd May 2007, 09:01 AM
Very nice!!
I'd love to get my hands on some of that!

MariaMakiling
23rd May 2007, 09:13 AM
...now that is a beautiful plant! I cannot wait to have some one day. I also enjoyed those pictures, especially the last one.

Color Me Blue
23rd May 2007, 01:51 PM
It is a very beautiful plant! I was lucky enough to get some from a generous TPT member. Unfortunately it got attacked by algae and it didn't survive my Excel treatment. :( It is definitely a slow grower.

yicong
23rd May 2007, 02:49 PM
The mini pellia has no root. We tied it on small stone or wood and it will grow thicker later. The bottom part will rot because lacking of light, just like riccia.

So, when it floats. We need to retie them back again. However as all you mentioned, it is a slow growing plant. So, no worry that.

My friend has this mini pellia in his 4.5ft tank, with proper lighting, fertilization and temperature control. It grows considerably fast, need to trim it every 2 months. Otherwise it become too thick and not neat looking.

Xema
23rd May 2007, 03:05 PM
Nice pictures as allways!

The scientific name of Mini-pellia is Riccardia chamaedryfolia.

Are you keeping them with CO2 or not?

I like so much the way you attached the plant to the stone, what kind of mesh did you use for that porpuse?

TheTeh
23rd May 2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Xema, thanks for the ID but I don;t think it is the sp you said. I had a search in google and got this:
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P5/P50904.php

it looks very different from mine.

Yes, they are grown in CO2.

TheTeh
23rd May 2007, 05:23 PM
oh, forgot to answer your question about the net.

I bought the moss net in Malaysia. I think it is some kind of nylon/cotton cloth that is streachable. Soft to the touch and very elastic. When streached, the holes of the net enlarge from about 1mm (unstreached) to about 3-5mm fully streached. Very useful for what it is sold for (tie down mosses).

bjar
23rd May 2007, 10:13 PM
Xema is right it is Riccardia chamaedryfolia, the link you posted Teh shows
it in it's emerse growth.

TheTeh
24th May 2007, 06:46 AM
Just posted some more macro photos of the mini pellia with closeup of a single frond. There is no veins within the fronds like the Süsswassertang unlike Monosolenium

retardo
24th May 2007, 08:53 AM
The mini pellia has no root. We tied it on small stone or wood and it will grow thicker later. The bottom part will rot because lacking of light, just like riccia.

So, when it floats. We need to retie them back again. However as all you mentioned, it is a slow growing plant. So, no worry that.

My friend has this mini pellia in his 4.5ft tank, with proper lighting, fertilization and temperature control. It grows considerably fast, need to trim it every 2 months. Otherwise it become too thick and not neat looking.

What are you trying to attach the mini pellia to? If you're attaching to driftwood or rock, it should eventually stick without the need for fishing line, netting or other methods to hold it in place. I have personally not experienced the bottom rotting out due to lack of light. Regular pellia (Monoselenium Tenerum) does, on the other hand, not stick to anything.

Also, I have not known mini pellia to float... It has enough density that even the smallest bit will sink and grow. Are you positive that your friend has mini pellia?

Also, Xema is correct on the ID. It is definitely a Riccardia species.

TheTeh
24th May 2007, 04:04 PM
I bought a book (Taiwanese) on aquatic plants when I was in Malaysia. It has almost every aquatic species in it... and I found the Riccardia chamedryfolia!! It looks very very similar to mine indeed... I should have looked into that book earlier...I did not think that book has it.

According to this book, the common name is 'Coral Moss' (translated from chinese!)

Xema
24th May 2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah it is commonly named Coral Moss.

Riccardia chamedryfolia, Rayon Vert Aqua (http://rva.jp/plants/moss-_nami.htm)

yicong
24th May 2007, 08:10 PM
What are you trying to attach the mini pellia to? If you're attaching to driftwood or rock, it should eventually stick without the need for fishing line, netting or other methods to hold it in place. I have personally not experienced the bottom rotting out due to lack of light. Regular pellia (Monoselenium Tenerum) does, on the other hand, not stick to anything.

Also, I have not known mini pellia to float... It has enough density that even the smallest bit will sink and grow. Are you positive that your friend has mini pellia?

Also, Xema is correct on the ID. It is definitely a Riccardia species.

Hi Retardo,

I am wraping the mini pellia to a round shape stone with smooth surface using a net. It grows become more than 1" thick and the bottom part become yellow.

I also have the normal pellia which grows almost everywhere in my tank now. I find hard to get rid of it actually.

Sorry for the mistake of floating mini pellia statement. It does not float. It just flying around with the flowing water in tank.

leen
29th May 2007, 01:15 AM
Hi,

I also have ery very much of this mini-pellia. In my tank it grows very fast without co2.

Greetz Leen

Xema
29th May 2007, 06:56 AM
Hi,

I also have ery very much of this mini-pellia. In my tank it grows very fast without co2.

Greetz Leen

That sounds interesting, can you show a picture? what kind of light and other parameters do you have within your tank?

TheTeh
30th Jun 2007, 12:19 AM
I doubt that the fast growing type is the mini-pellia (Riccardia chamedryfolia) we are talking about here.

Please show some photos of your fast-growing minipellia if possible?

baby2face
11th Jul 2007, 07:18 PM
How difficult is the plant regarding light and water?

retardo
12th Jul 2007, 01:48 AM
IME, mini pellia is not very picky about water conditions or lighting periods. It grew quite well for me on 3wpg, no CO2, and no ferts. It grows well because of it is a slow grower and does not require too much.

solitaire
21st Jul 2007, 10:58 PM
pellia is a very slow growing plant