PDA

View Full Version : Filter media, your opinion

Xema
18th Apr 2007, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, What kind of filter media do you use?

Today I bought a bag of zeolite to test it... it does not look to alter EC and does not raise pH value. I tested it whitin RO water with my digital pHmeter and ECmeter.

What do you think about air-powered sponge filters?

newb4ev3r
18th Apr 2007, 03:50 PM
Sponge filter do a fine job in my tanks. I do not prefer zeolite or any adsorpent material. Prefer some media where the BB can thrive.

Anybody try Seachem matrix? Seem like a good media.

silane
18th Apr 2007, 06:50 PM
I use Biohome, Mr Aqua (ceramic ring), Maxtrix (newb4ev3r, it is good) and Substrate Pro as biomedium. A canister contain one or more type. As soon as a shrimp tank is concern, I think most bio media will do the work as far as the load in concern. It is not has much the biomedium can do the work, but it is how fast it can react to load.

I haven't have any success with air-driven sponge filter, I used to use start when I started with shrimp hobby, maybe I didn't mature it enough.

I think zeolite has different pH and other properties when it come from different places, even visually, they can be very different.

Xema
18th Apr 2007, 08:46 PM
I haven't have any success with air-driven sponge filter, I used to use start when I started with shrimp hobby, maybe I didn't mature it enough.

I agree with you, I started my CRS tank firstly with a HM (Hamburger Matten) filter (http://www.wassernatur.de/matte.html), in the docs I readed that looked as amazing choice for shrimp tanks.
Few weeks after, I saw it was not working so well as I thought. So I decided add an air-driven double sponge filter ... Things goins so well for a while... but few month after I started to lost shrimplets under 3mm long. So finally I have adding a aditional hang-on Aquaclear Mini... So I have set up 3 kind of filter in my CRS tank, it has 50 liters (80x25x25cm), and shrimp looks really nice and healthy now.

I think zeolite has different pH and other properties when it come from different places, even visually, they can be very different.

What I bought looks like large-grain sepiolite.

maestro
19th Apr 2007, 04:06 AM
I have utilized air-driven sponge filters for many years in my breeding tank setups with great success, with filters overated at least 3 times the tanks recommendations and bio-load handling capabilities. When 'matured', their perfomance on the nitrification process is as good as any. I do utilize a small hang on filter as a maintenence filter once a month, with "Poly Filter" as a media to remove any organic build up, toxins, tannins, etc. As with any other filter, they do need to be maintained and cleaned periodically by 'squeezing out' in water from water changes to release mulm accumilation. Being air-driven, they also provide as a single unit, aeration to satisfy the high oxyen requirements of shrimp, without having to add another air-stone.

newb4ev3r
19th Apr 2007, 05:22 PM
I use Biohome, Mr Aqua (ceramic ring), Maxtrix (newb4ev3r, it is good) and Substrate Pro as biomedium. ........
Thanks for the info bro. I also interested in BioHome, but can't find any in here. Seachem claim that Matrix can also reduce nitrate, same as the claim from BioHome. What's the nitrate level in your tanks?

silane
21st Apr 2007, 02:22 AM
Generally is around 5 to 10ppm with help of plants to get rid of them.

newb4ev3r
23rd Apr 2007, 05:56 PM
Very nice, very low nitrate. Yeah, I guess plant help a lot.

Xema
30th Apr 2007, 12:16 AM
I have utilized air-driven sponge filters for many years in my breeding tank setups with great success, with filters overated at least 3 times the tanks recommendations and bio-load handling capabilities.

So, What do you think must be the air volume flow to get best result per litre?

Can anyone apport more technical data about the best air flow for better resulto with air-driven sponge filters???

maestro
30th Apr 2007, 04:18 AM
So, What do you think must be the air volume flow to get best result per litre?

Can anyone apport more technical data about the best air flow for better resulto with air-driven sponge filters???

Hi Xema, An airpump with a volume flow rate(l/h-gal/h) of of 5-7 times the tanks volume has worked for me. The thing about air-driven sponge filters is that they DO need to be regularly maintained. I maintain them about once a month by squeezing them out in water from water changes and reinnocculate the tank with a live bacterial culture.