PDA

View Full Version : Any info about Thai moss?

MyShrimps
12th Feb 2007, 05:19 AM
Hello,

I got a tiny piece of "Thai moss". As far as I could see until now, it seems to grow flat on the ground and might be a nice ground cover. But I couldn't get much information about it.
Does anybody have experience with that "Thai moss"?
For example I would be interested to know if it grows well submerse.

Peter

Angel007
12th Feb 2007, 10:54 PM
Do you have any picture of this Moss?

I think I have this moss that grow flat on the ground, it would be great if you and I can post the picture........Ho ho ho

retardo
12th Feb 2007, 11:38 PM
This is the first I've heard of "Thai" moss. Pics would go very far in helping to identify mosses, and even then, it's anyone's guess.

MyShrimps
13th Feb 2007, 02:59 AM
Hello,

at the moment I can't post pictures because I'm a new member here.
As far as I know I must have at least 20 posts to be allowed to post pictures.
That won't last long, I think. And then I can post a photo.

There is another moss that grows flat on the ground, which is more common: mini moss. That looks a bit different to the "Thai moss".

I only have had the Thai moss in my tank for a few days now. So I can't say if it grows well. At the moment it has a lot of brown leaves (it had them already when I got it) but it seems as if it gets new green branches.

Hope I can post pictures soon, and Angel007, too, so that we can compare the mosses.

Peter

Fish Newb
13th Feb 2007, 04:34 AM
I think you're talking about Taiwan moss. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Taiwan moss grows great under the water and is one of the most common mosses in the hobby It's very easy to grow!

http://www.aquamoss.net/Taiwan-Moss/Taiwan-Moss.htm

That's a great link to Dr. Tan Biento's site. He is a world "famous" briologist.

-Andrew

MyShrimps
13th Feb 2007, 06:03 AM
Hi Andrew,

no, it isn't Taiwan moss. Taiwan moss is more similar to Java moss.
That Thai moss looks different and it grows different to these two mosses.
It seems to grow like mini or nano moss but the branches are different.

You are right, the site of Dr. Tan Biento is great. I often look there if I need information about an aquatic moss. But there is no Thai moss on that site.

Peter

meogui
14th Feb 2007, 02:31 PM
Ah...I m in Thailand too , but i never hear that moss 's name : )

yicong
16th Feb 2007, 12:13 AM
Thai Moss...This is the first time I hear this name too. A picture will definitely help to identify the moss.

MyShrimps
16th Feb 2007, 07:12 AM
Hi,

I am not sure if it's real name is Thai moss. :undecided
Maybe someone got it from Thailand not knowing its name and so he/she named it "Thai moss".
Perhaps the moss has a totally different name in Thailand or it even is not from Thailand at all. I really don't know. :embarasse

Soon I will be able to post photos here. Hope we can solve the riddle then.

Peter

Robert
18th Feb 2007, 04:13 AM
Hi,
every member can use the gallery. It's free for every registered user. You can store your pictures there and enter the link with the image tags here. You can also upload the picture somewhere else and then show it here. There is no limitation at all for new members.

best regards

Robert

MyShrimps
18th Feb 2007, 07:42 AM
Hi,

now I managed to upload the photos at last. :embarasse
I think I had those problems with the attachments because I had to activate javascript for it. Didn't know that. But now it seems to work.

I had to take the moss out of the tank to photograph it.
Hope the photos are good enough and I eagerly await your comments.

Peter

i_Snail
18th Feb 2007, 08:04 AM
Looks like some kind of liverwort rather than moss :rolleyes:

Edit: Just had a little search on the internet and I think it looks very much like a Plagiochila type liverwort

Frank
18th Feb 2007, 03:26 PM
That´s a nice looking moss/liverwort.
Plagiochila can be possible.
I have a similar one. Not exactly the same as far as I can see.

MyShrimps
19th Feb 2007, 05:42 AM
Hi,

thanks for your answers!

@i_Snail: Yes, "Plagiochila" seems to go into the right direction.
Aunt google shows some pictures of different Plagiochila species and my moss/liverwort looks very similar to Plagiochila asplenioides.
But also Scapania might be possible.
Those leafy liverworts all look very similar and that's quite confusing for me. But most probably it is a liverwort from the families of Jungermanniales. So Plagiochila sp. is at least one possibility.

@Frank: Your liverwort has not exactly the same leaves but they are very similar.
The branches of your liverwort grow upwards and my liverwort grows flat on the gound. So maybe they are from the same family of liverworts but I don't think they are the same species.
But for my taste both are nice plants! :)

Unfortunately many mosses and liverworts only grow submerse for some time and then they slowly die. Hope that this one will grow well under water because it really looks nice.

Peter

Angel007
19th Feb 2007, 09:19 PM
Dear MyShrimp

This moss's very cute, but the moss that I told you wasn't this moss.

Your moss looks like the moss from Burma (I have one) but it doesn't grow well (grow very slow)

I will post the pic as soon as I reply for 20 replies.....Ha ha ha...

Angel007

MyShrimps
20th Feb 2007, 03:39 AM
Hello Angel007,

thanks for your answer.
I really would like to see your moss, too.
So, did you read what Robert wrote some posts before:

Hi,
every member can use the gallery. It's free for every registered user. You can store your pictures there and enter the link with the image tags here. You can also upload the picture somewhere else and then show it here. There is no limitation at all for new members.

While searching the internet I found lots of pictures of beautiful mosses and liveworts. The diversity of these little plants is very imposing.
I even noticed that in our little garden some kind of liverwort grows. :D
I always thought it's just weeds. :rolleyes:
But I don't think that it will grow under water.

Peter

Angel007
20th Feb 2007, 04:44 AM
Hello Angel007,

thanks for your answer.
I really would like to see your moss, too.
So, did you read what Robert wrote some posts before:

While searching the internet I found lots of pictures of beautiful mosses and liveworts. The diversity of these little plants is very imposing.
I even noticed that in our little garden some kind of liverwort grows. :D
I always thought it's just weeds. :rolleyes:
But I don't think that it will grow under water.

Peter
Thank you Peter, I can post the pics in the gallery right now.........

Here is the pic of my Thai moss (the seller told me that he pick it from Kho-Yai near Bangkok) It grow flat to the grow......

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club-1.jpg

Take a close look.................................

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club4.jpg

Another pic.......

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club8.jpg

nice to share information with you.......I'll post the pic of Burma moss that I told you soon

Angel007

MyShrimps
20th Feb 2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Angel007,

thank you for sharing the photos!
Your moss has a very nice compact shape.
For me it looks similar to the moss which is sold as "mini moss" or "nano moss".
At least that mini moss grows very similar to yours. I think the leaves look a bit different but I am not sure.
But no matter what type of moss it really is, it looks great. :)

Besides, you have some nice shrimps in that tank. They look like those from MFF.
It's a pitty that here in Europe it's still very difficult (well, let's better say expensive) to get those higher grade bee shrimps.

Peter

Fish Newb
20th Feb 2007, 08:29 AM
@ myshrimps. Leafy liverworts are really confusing... most of mine hate tropical temps but have no problem growing in my garage tub at around 30F (at the moment, hasn't frozen (YET) was like 2F or negative with wind chill today (need to bring it inside soon... I have some of that type though, It is growing a little bit. I think it will die though because it's probably not able to stay aquatic for too long.

@Angel007- Your moss looks to be Christmas moss. It is very very difficult to ID moss from somewhat far away pictures. Even IDing moss by pictures is ALMOST impossible. Have you ever seen Spikey moss? Does your moss look much rougher than that? For me IDing Christmas moss is easy because it looks rough, and it is quite tight in it's triangular form. Sending it to Dr. Tan Biento would be the best way to get it IDed!

-Andrew

badsector
20th Feb 2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you Peter, I can post the pics in the gallery right now.........

Here is the pic of my Thai moss (the seller told me that he pick it from Kho-Yai near Bangkok) It grow flat to the grow......

shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club-1.jpg

Take a close look.................................

shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club4.jpg

Another pic.......

shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/4/5/0/club8.jpg

nice to share information with you.......I'll post the pic of Burma moss that I told you soon

Angel007

i'm planning a trip to bangkok. will i be able to find those at the weekend market?

retardo
20th Feb 2007, 03:12 PM
that is some beauteous moss indeed! how long did it take to grow it out as nicely as you did?

Angel007
21st Feb 2007, 02:56 AM
Hi, everyone

Thank you to share the information of this moss.

I bought this moss at JJ market (Bangkok) they call this moss Thai willow moss.......but when its grow.....THIS IS NOT WILLOW at all,(And it is really cheap) It grow very fast.....As in the picture about 2 month

*Fish Newb : Yes, my moss is rough and it can't be spiky, spiky's triangular smaller than my moss......And There's no Christmas Moss in thailand......
But I think that whatever moss - our main purpose is to share the information bout the thing we love.....I love this web and nice people here.

* badsector : yes you can find it in JJ weekend market, but as the other know that this market will open only weekend but the aquarium part open everyday.......when you go there just looking for the aquaplant shop and ask for willow moss (its pack in the plastic box) about 80 - 100 bath a box.....anyhelp just let me know :)

MyShrimps
21st Feb 2007, 03:50 AM
Hello Andrew,

@ myshrimps. Leafy liverworts are really confusing...
That's absolutely right. :embarasse

I think it will die though because it's probably not able to stay aquatic for too long.
I'm sure you understand that I hope that's not right at all. :rolleyes: But let's see...

Peter

Fish Newb
21st Feb 2007, 06:13 AM
I'm sure you understand that I hope that's not right at all. :rolleyes: But let's see...

Peter

I understand... I went thru the same moss collecting faze then Dr. Biento told me to stop drowning mosses so I didlol.

I would head over to killies.com to see if anyone there knows what type it is!

-Andrew

Zebrapl3co
23rd Feb 2007, 10:25 PM
Actually, Angle007, that looks alot like my weeping moss ( I guess another name would be willow moss). For some reason, they grow flat like that on a nutrient rich substrate. Mines grow flat on flourite, but grows upward when growing in a bare bottom tank. They look completely different but are from the same branch of moss.

Frank
23rd Feb 2007, 11:02 PM
Actually, Angle007, that looks alot like my weeping moss ( I guess another name would be willow moss). For some reason, they grow flat like that on a nutrient rich substrate. Mines grow flat on flourite, but grows upward when growing in a bare bottom tank. They look completely different but are from the same branch of moss.

willow and weeping is definetly not the same!

luigi545
23rd Feb 2007, 11:08 PM
looks like what we called anchor moss in singapore

Fish Newb
23rd Feb 2007, 11:38 PM
Alright Angel007, Go to this list here http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm

I think your moss is Christmass moss. It isn't willow.

-Andrew

MasterChief
24th Mar 2007, 06:11 PM
Hello MyShrimps,
is the Thaimoss from a order you get from me ( René ) last year? I give them as a sample for free.
The submers growth would be very interesting for me :)

thank you,

René

tlshan
24th Mar 2007, 10:35 PM
hmm..looks like weeping moss..they grow flat too..at least for mine

MyShrimps
25th Mar 2007, 07:16 AM
Hello MyShrimps,
is the Thaimoss from a order you get from me ( René ) last year? I give them as a sample for free.
The submers growth would be very interesting for me :)
thank you,
René
Hi René,
yes that Thaimoss is from you - got it with some minimoss. :D
The submers growth would be very interesting for me, too.
Unfortunately I cannot tell anything about its submers growth becaus it hasn't grown at all. It still looks the same as it was when I got it from you.
It looks as if it had been grown emers and maybe it only needs some time to get accustomed on growing under water. It's still green (I even think that some of the former brown branches are green now) and so I hope it'll grow one day. :rolleyes:

Besides, where did you get the name "Thaimoss" from? Did you get the moss from Thailand or did you get it with this name from somewhere else?

Peter

MasterChief
25th Mar 2007, 09:16 PM
Dear Peter,
i´ve got it from Indonesia, they named it Thaimoss, but i think this is not an official designation.
I know 2-3 further people the Thaimoss already grow submers, i hope i can get some pictures from there.

René

MyShrimps
2nd Apr 2007, 10:34 PM
I know 2-3 further people the Thaimoss already grow submers, i hope i can get some pictures from there.
Hi René,
thanks for your answer.
Oh yes, I would like to see some pictures of that moss growing submers, too.
So, if you get photos, could you please post them here or send me a PM?
That would be nice.

Bye

Peter