PDA

View Full Version : Do you just leave dead plant matter alone in a shrimp tank?

Ankit
14th Jan 2007, 04:09 AM
I haven't bought the CRS for my tank yet, but have been running the tank and trying to prepare it for the CRS for a few weeks now, almost a full month actually. The last step in my setup will be putting the moss in for the CRS to graze on, that will probably happen within the next few days. After that, it will be another week or two waiting for it to grow a little, and then I'll add the CRS.

Now, I have rotala sp green, a java fern, a mini banana plant, and some SŁŖwassertang in the tank. I also have frogbit floating on the top to try and lower nitrates as low as possible.

My question - From all these plants, there's usually some dead plant matter floating around. My cannister filter gets a lot of them and every week or two I rinse the canister ridding of these, however the tank still has some of them floating around. Should I just leave it in the tank or do I need to clean these up?

I understand that shrimp like to feed on moving water and cleaning it up in a sense and so my gut feeling is that I should just leave it there. Any thoughts on this?

Sannie
14th Jan 2007, 09:39 AM
I usually leave those floating plant parts in the tank. The shrimp or snails will get rit of it... I think it is also not a big problem for the water parameters, cause the usefull bacteria will also feed on dissolving organism (in this case the plant parts). If you keep the tank cleen as U are used to, I think it's no problem :)

aelysa
14th Jan 2007, 10:34 AM
I keep the dead leaves in also, the shrimp and snails have a feast on it.

Frank
14th Jan 2007, 05:44 PM
I just remove bigger pieces. From echinodorus for example.