PDA

View Full Version : problems with mixing species?

ralp
19th Apr 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi everybody,

i read very often about problems with keeping of two or more shrimpspecies in one tank. One species will sooner or later take over the tank. Is this only relevant for small tanks? Can somebody explain it for me? Shrimps donīt kill eachother? There are not agressiv or territoral like ciklids - or? What are your experiences with mixing species?

My two small tanks (12 & 13 liter) has just one species (Cherry & BumbleBee). But now iam planing for a bigger tank (160 Liter) and iam wondering whether and which shrimpspecies i can place there ...

Maybe you want to share your favorite setup?

Thanks for helping. Regards. Ralp

p.s.: iam aware about the risk of crossbreeding between close species like chrystal and bees for example.

Walter
19th Apr 2005, 05:38 PM
i dont think shrimps are territorial.. i keep cherries, bees, green, yamato, tiger together.. i dont see any fights at all.. shrimps are generally peaceful creatures...

Robert
19th Apr 2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Ralf,
often there are no problems at all if you keep different shrimp species which do not cross breed. But there can be some small problems when it comes to breeding them.

Yamato shrimps and rednose shrimps are quit large in comparrision to cherry shrimps and shrimps of the same size. So the yamatos and rednose are more dominant and get more food, this could be a problem if you don't feed them much. The other species will starve a bit. Yamatos are also aggessive against other shrimps sometimes.

If you breed different shrimps in the same tank, there are often small problems. The cherry shrimps grow very fast (sexual majority after 3 months) and they are very profilic, so there will be a food-problem if you want to breed other slowlier growing shrimps in the same tank. Green shrimp grow much slowlier, they need almost 5 months till they reach their sexual majority, and there shrimplets are smaller than other shimps' shrimplets, so that could also be a problem. The worst idea would be to keep and breed both of these species in the same tank without any control. You have to control the cherry shrimp population a lot or it won't work. But if you want to breed e.g. tiger and green shrimp in the same tank, it's no problem.

Cherry and green shrimps are so to say the extremes of the spectrum, other shrimp species are somewhere in between, so they grow a bit slowlier than cherries but there shrimplets are as big. This is normally no problem in my experience.

regards und beste Grüße

Robert

Walter
20th Apr 2005, 06:41 PM
learnt something new :D

anyway for the solution to more aggressive shrimps when feeding (eg yamatoes) you can try breaking up the pellets/wafers into small bits and throw into different portion of the tank, works for me :)

NoDeltaH2O
9th May 2005, 11:38 PM
I am new here but have been at another form for quite a while. I have a 20gallon long densely planted tank which houses 13 Amano shrimp, 4 ghost shrimp, and one Bamboo Wood Shrimp. I also have in the tank 8 WC minnows, 3 glass catfish, 3 SAE, 1 CAE, 4 otos, 2 hillstream loaches, 2 flounders, 1 RTS, a juvenile hatchetfish, and 2 very happy zipper loaches (red fins and all).

Don't tell me it's overstocked, I don't want to hear it. The tank has been running well for over two years now. My nitrates get so low (zero) that I have to add nitrate every couple of weeks. I have nice injected CO2 and lighting, daily dosing of ferts, adnd everybody is happy.

The point I am trying to make here is that I see no aggression between the various shrimp species. The Bamboo Shrimp is the biggest creature in the tank, and the ghost shrimp are the smallest.

gigahertz
10th May 2005, 12:04 PM
Don't tell me it's overstocked, I don't want to hear it.

Ok I won't! :rolleyes: