PDA

View Full Version : deaths due to driftwood?

john
18th Apr 2005, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone,
Has anyone heard of or experinced mysterious shrimp deaths due to driftwood in their tanks? I had a few cherry reds die and all the parameters are good so I'm going to remove a large peice of driftwood from the tank to see if that helps. Any comments on this? Thanks,
John

Pconnieae
18th Apr 2005, 09:21 AM
I have never heard of shrimp deaths due to driftwood in their tanks. Why do you think the driftwood is the cause of shrimp deaths? I have driftwoods in most of my shrimp tanks and I don't notice any problems.

How long have you set up your tank?

Rupert
18th Apr 2005, 10:31 AM
I have heard of people using wood which they thought was good as "drift wood", however the resins toxins were slowly leaching out into the tank and killing their crittersI have heard of people using wood which they thought was good as "drift wood", however the resins toxins were slowly leaching out into the tank and killing their critters.

Also some wood, mangrove I think needs to be soaked for a few weeks before use.

Walter
18th Apr 2005, 03:50 PM
never heard of it before.. driftwood is supposed to be beneficial

silane
19th Apr 2005, 11:46 AM
Agree with Rupert on bog wood (mangrove wood), it leaches large amount of sap which can cloud and foul the water and that could result in causing problem to shrimps.

Walter
19th Apr 2005, 12:23 PM
but i am sure that driftwoods sold in shops should be already well treated?

otherwise how it can be sold to fish-keeping hobbyist if its toxin to fishes?

simcb
19th Apr 2005, 12:32 PM
True unless you are buying free Honest and reputable LFS that you trust....most LFS are very irresponsible...you will be surprise. Happend to me once.

Walter
19th Apr 2005, 12:37 PM
i see... but anyway usually only reputable shops sells things cheap so i think its a win-win suituation to buy from these shops anyway... :D:D

silane
19th Apr 2005, 01:08 PM
Seriously, I don't think woods are re-treated by shops/wholesellers/importers, they were treated by nature and time.

gigahertz
19th Apr 2005, 02:43 PM
Seriously, I don't think woods are re-treated by shops/wholesellers/importers, they were treated by nature and time.

agree! I have been using driftwood bought from fish stores for a while now and some pieces will be just fine and other will change the water to a redish color even though from the outside they look like they were form the same type of tree.

Walter
19th Apr 2005, 05:27 PM
those that turn water brownish is because they are not soaked long enough... i forgot the reason why some will produce such stuffs but the effect of this is same as black water essense.. it is actually beneficial and i like this kind of effect sometimes :p i have a set up with this kinda water :p:D

gigahertz
20th Apr 2005, 12:23 AM
those that turn water brownish is because they are not soaked long enough... i forgot the reason why some will produce such stuffs but the effect of this is same as black water essense.. it is actually beneficial and i like this kind of effect sometimes :p i have a set up with this kinda water :p:D

That's what I thought too but doesn't that block the amount of light getting to plants? I pulled it out because that tank is 24" tall and with brown water I was afraid that not enough light will get to my plants.

Walter
20th Apr 2005, 06:39 PM
hmmm i am not sure about light penetration though... but if you are worried yeah you should take the wood away... or alternative would be using a stronger light.. (the 2nd method cost $$$ :p)

gigahertz
20th Apr 2005, 11:38 PM
I can't add more light cos I am already using 6 of the 55W compact florscent.

Tassle
21st Apr 2005, 03:19 AM
It sounds like your wood is simply leeching tannins into the water. If you have the space to boil the wood in question, it will speed of the process. If you don't have an area large enough to boil the wood, you can soak it in warm water in a bucket, replacing the water frequently to help speed the process.

-Tassle :angel:

gigahertz
21st Apr 2005, 05:57 AM
Thats what I thought was happening but my shrimps did not seem to like that that much after a while. Is it possible that too much of tennis is not shrimps safe?

F

Tassle
21st Apr 2005, 11:45 AM
It is possible, although I'm not sure how probable. :undecided

Lotus
21st Apr 2005, 11:49 AM
Have you checked the pH of your water since adding the driftwood? The tannins can lower the pH fairly dramatically, depending on the size of the driftwood in relation to the tank size. You can soak the driftwood in a bucket for a few weeks (with water changes) to help leach out some of the tannins.

gigahertz
21st Apr 2005, 12:46 PM
That ph was normal at around 7. Strange

simcb
21st Apr 2005, 12:54 PM
The tannic acid from wood sap is not purely acid. It might be weak acid + toxins as previously mention by fruitpie. Water change will help reduce weekly will help reduce it. Not sure when will the wood run out of it.

Walter
21st Apr 2005, 04:50 PM
I tried water changing to solve this problem. Took a very long time and it is still brown, so i gave up. As long it doesn't go too brown :) hmmm, strange that your PH didnt change, is the driftwood small compared to your tank?

gigahertz
22nd Apr 2005, 12:23 AM
Nop, it was a big center piece.

john
22nd Apr 2005, 12:33 AM
I just wanted to give an update to my original post. After removing the peice of driftwood there have been no more shrimp deaths. I did nothing else to the tank, except a partial water change, and the removal seemed to fix the problem. The tank was fully cycled so that wasn't the problem. The dw was rather large in relation to the tank,as it took up almost all of the tank bottom. So I believe something in this particular peice of driftwood was causing the shrimp to get sick.

gigahertz
22nd Apr 2005, 01:07 AM
Have you guys tried African Rootwood?
So far I have good luck with this type of wood. The shrimps and snails love it and Jave Moss loves to attach to them.

Walter
22nd Apr 2005, 01:56 PM
I just wanted to give an update to my original post. After removing the peice of driftwood there have been no more shrimp deaths. I did nothing else to the tank, except a partial water change, and the removal seemed to fix the problem. The tank was fully cycled so that wasn't the problem. The dw was rather large in relation to the tank,as it took up almost all of the tank bottom. So I believe something in this particular peice of driftwood was causing the shrimp to get sick.

oh i see.. then yours should be an exceptional case. first time heard of such cases. glad to hear your shrimps are doing well now :D hmm.. anyway as you said the DW was very big compared to your tank so i guess water changes will be a very very long term method to remove the brownish substance anyway haha, so i think removing is a wise choice :p :shocked:

anyway gigahertz, what is the difference btw the wood u mentioned and normal DW? any physical diff? any pictures? :) thanks

gigahertz
22nd Apr 2005, 03:09 PM
Here is a site where they have some good info on African Rootwood: http://www.chichesterinc.com/Driftwood.htm

Check them out! :)

Here in LA we sell them retail for around $10/lb on big fancy pieces. My wholesaler have them in 50lb bags.

Robert
22nd Apr 2005, 05:05 PM
Hi,
this African Rootwood is also called Mopani wood. In my opinion it is the safest wood for the aquarium use. It is very hard and last for years in a tank with only minor changes of its shape due to plecos and shrimps which try to eat it. It is very heavy and normal it sinks after a short period of time.
The color varies from beige over reddish brown till black. Normal coloration is a light brown. The only disadvanges are the high price (here in Germany it cost normally about 15/kg) and that it leaks tannins for some months. You have to boil it several times and soak it in water for some weeks before it lost most of its tannins. But then you can keep it many years in your tank.

best regards

Robert

Walter
22nd Apr 2005, 07:59 PM
oh i see.. haha frankly i cant see much difference :p just that they looked slightly plumper. And hmm... they really resembles ginger to me :D:D

thanks for the information guys :)