PDA

View Full Version : My Snail Collection

ragn4rok
17th Apr 2005, 08:48 AM
I want to share my snail collection... sorry for low quality pics... :embarasse

Neritina sp. "Tiger"
http://www.albumtown.com/data/289811f8a30ebd69fe7215c3f8598abf/16761_p320453.jpg

Neritina sp. "Polka Dot"
http://www.albumtown.com/data/289811f8a30ebd69fe7215c3f8598abf/16761_p325022.jpg

Neritina sp. "Black"
http://www.albumtown.com/data/289811f8a30ebd69fe7215c3f8598abf/16761_p320194.jpg

Neritina sp. "Miner"
http://www.albumtown.com/data/289811f8a30ebd69fe7215c3f8598abf/16761_p320191.jpg

Neritina sp. "Zebra Miner"
http://www.albumtown.com/data/289811f8a30ebd69fe7215c3f8598abf/16761_p320193.jpg

is Neritina sp. "Miner" and "Zebra Miner" == horn snails? :undecided

gnome
17th Apr 2005, 11:32 AM
Heya! I know I've seen these photos over at APC, but I only now noticed in the fourth picture, how that little shrimp is "inspecting" the snail. Cute!

I really love those horned ones - I hope we start seeing a greater variety of non-plant-eating snails in the U.S. Most of the "ornamental" snails here are "mystery" and "apple" snails, neither of which can be trusted in a planted tank. Pomacea canaliculata and M. cornuarietis (Colombian ram's horns) are ravenous plant-eaters; Pomacea bridgesi are hit-or-miss. But I believe Pomacea spp. are banned from California, anyway.

Nice!

-Naomi

Walter
17th Apr 2005, 12:40 PM
hehe interesting... how about apple snails?

like the tiger snail there :D

kross
18th Apr 2005, 12:22 PM
i like your zebra snail! we only have the plain black type which is called "horn snail" or something.... lol

danio27
20th Apr 2005, 08:00 AM
Nice snails. I like the horn snails. Naomi, have you seen these snails at LFS in CA? If anyone knows where to get these snails in the US, please let me know.
Thanks.

gnome
20th Apr 2005, 08:48 AM
Nice snails. I like the horn snails. Naomi, have you seen these snails at LFS in CA? If anyone knows where to get these snails in the US, please let me know.
Thanks.

Hi there! Yes, I've seen olive nerites and I think "zebra" or "tiger" nerites. Actually, I think they were being sold as "tiger" but it didn't look like the one in ragn4rok's photo. The striations were more "jagged." I once bought an olive nerite and dropped it into my tank without acclimatizing. It pretty much died as soon as it hit the water :embarasse . They need to be acclimatized like fish or any other creature. Differences in TDS can lead to immediate osmotic shock.

About two years ago, I know Wilma Duncan was selling olive nerites, but they were a little expensive, so I didn't get any from her. They're supposed to be da bomb for keeping the tank glass clean.

-Naomi

danio27
20th Apr 2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks Naomi. They are very cool looking!

Robert
21st Apr 2005, 03:53 PM
Hi,
sorry for my late reply, i was really busy in the last days. The Neritina sp. "Tiger"
should be Neritina natalensis Reeve, 1845. This species varies a lot it its coloration. The shell can be yellow till brown and the black stripes are more or less dense.

The second one, Neritina sp. "Polka Dot", should really be an unidentified species. I look for months now to but cannot find any scientific name for it.

The fourth one, Neritina sp. "Miner", is probably Clithon sp. (diadema) souleyetana. It normally lives in brackish water but survives quit well in freshwater too. I keep my one in a freshwater tank for months now without any problems.

There will be some new articles about snails in the Species section soon, when I have more spare time.

best regards

Robert

simcb
22nd Apr 2005, 09:28 AM
hehe interesting... how about apple snails?

like the tiger snail there :D

Yeah anyone keeps apple snail out there?

I read about some snail website claiming, they eat planaria and small crusteans like mini snails. I also worried about their plant eating capability i wonder are whether they plant friendly.

gnome
22nd Apr 2005, 09:37 AM
A good site about apple snails is www.applesnail.net.

Sorry, I've never personally kept one. I'm protective of my plants :D .

-Naomi

gnome
22nd Apr 2005, 10:25 AM
Here's another interesting site I just found (going back to the original snails of this thread):

www.capricornica.com/world_shells/Neritidae/Neritidae.html.

It seems that some of these snails we are labelling as "Neritina" species are not even in this genus - I had remembered vaguely that "olive nerites" were actually Clithon sp.

Beautiful specimens are pictured, but it's strange that they photographed the majority of them from the "opening" rather than the dorsal view.

Check it out!

-Naomi

Walter
22nd Apr 2005, 01:27 PM
wow! lol i never knew snails can be so attractive and with so many different beautiful species. i always thought only seashells can achieve these spectrum of colours :D but are the snails mainly found in USA only? sorry i am kind of newbie to snails and thanks for sharing :D:D

gnome
22nd Apr 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Fruitpie :) !

wow! lol i never knew snails can be so attractive and with so many different beautiful species. i always thought only seashells can achieve these spectrum of colours :D but are the snails mainly found in USA only? sorry i am kind of newbie to snails and thanks for sharing :D:D
Walter, it looks as though only a few of them are from the U.S., and also, very few of them are noted as "freshwater." It could very well be that many of them are indeed "seashells." The ones that ragn4rok has pictured all need brackish water to breed (or at least I believe so). They will leave egg capsules that some describe as looking like "sesame seeds" but they will not hatch in fresh water. For people who dislike snails en masse but are keen on their cleaning abilities, these snails are ideal because they will never populate uncontrollably like the regular little snails that hitchhike into your tank on plants.

-Naomi

gigahertz
22nd Apr 2005, 03:25 PM
They will leave egg capsules that some describe as looking like "sesame seeds" but they will not hatch in fresh water.
-Naomi

Thats what those things are!!! Thought they were like snail poop when they are really constipated. :joking:

I have always wanted to breed these guys. They are so pretty and they are completely plant safe. Wonder if I can set up a small saltwater tank just to breed these guys.

Any suggestions where I can find information on breeding these guys?

Thx :)

Robert
22nd Apr 2005, 04:56 PM
Hi,
I keep this zebra snails for years now but never hatched a single snail, although there were no predators in the tank. So they probably need brackish or sea water.

By the way, they are not completely plants safe. Once I put a Anbuias with lots of BBA, hair-algae and other algae in the snail tank, they not only tried to eat the algae but damaged the leaves too. You cold see white marks (probably they damaged the epidermis, so other parenchymatic tissues were visible) where they ate the algae. I guess the Neritina sp. 'Polka dot' were the culprit. But such things happen only in rare cases. Normally they are more careful.

best regards

Robert

Muddy Waters
5th Nov 2005, 09:24 AM
I read in another forum that for the eggs to hatch they need brackish water with fluctuations in salinity. They also need alternating periods above and below the water line.

Does this somehow sound familiar? Well, it's what happens in small coastal rivers with the tides. In nature, Neritinas lay their eggs on rocks so that they stay above the water level during low tide and below, in high tide. As you can see, it's a pretty difficult thing to replicate in captivity.

ragn4rok
4th Jan 2006, 12:50 AM
A better picture of Neritina natalensis ("Zebra" snail) :)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/Neritinasp.jpg

Jane of Upton
5th Jan 2006, 09:47 PM
I keep many different kinds of snails, including the Zebra Nerite and Olive Nerite. I'd love to get a "polka dot" nerite, but have not found any yet. Yes, I too have read in several places that the eggs do need the fluctuation in salinity and water level to hatch. When well fed, they can leave a LOT of those little white dot eggs around. They're not a problem on the glass or equipment, as they come off readily, but they are nearly impossible to remove from plant stems or leaves (especially with slow-growing plants like anubias) without causing damage.

I also keep many of the Pomacea bridgesii, aka Mystery Snail. I've never found plant damage from the snails. They're not even that interested in algae. They will nibble on decaying plant tissue, but I've never encountered damage on healthy plants. They really prefer fish food and shrimp pellets.

I've recently found egg clutches from the Mystery snails, laid on the underside of the glass, above the water. I'm looking forward to seeing what the offspring look like, as they're either the result of the "Violet" shelled dark-bodied one mating with one of the "Magenta" shelled light-bodied ones, or two "Magenta" mating with one another. 3 Magenta and one Violet in that tank. I like them, they're like graceful giants trolling around the tank.

-Jane

Beviking
1st Feb 2006, 01:13 AM
Beautiful snails! Wow! I've seen nerites listed on aquabid though I think they were olive.

Jane, you don't sell/ship snails do you? Like to Syracuse,NY ?

Erivaj
3rd Apr 2006, 11:48 PM
The second one, Neritina sp. "Polka Dot", should really be an unidentified species. I look for months now to but cannot find any scientific name for it.

Hi Robert,

I have known this snail like Vittina Sp. May be the scientific name.

francis87
4th Apr 2006, 08:59 AM
i like your zebra snail! we only have the plain black type which is called "horn snail" or something.... lol

i have all 4 of them. it's cheap in Singapore. S$1 each.

but the zebra snail shell is a bit weak. Avoid any abrasion with rough surface.

Erivaj
16th Apr 2006, 07:20 PM
Wow, This is cheap.
Here you have to pay around 2.5Ä per snail.

ragn4rok
14th May 2006, 04:28 PM
Add some new snail pictures that I got today. They are new here. Only Rp4000,- each (1US$ = Rp8800,-)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/Snail4.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/Snail3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/Snail1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ragn4rok/Snail2.jpg

Jeff :)

Frank
14th May 2006, 09:07 PM
The snails at the third picture are looking like "cayo largo snail"
Neritina (Vitta) virginea.

The last one seems to be septaria porcellana.

The others could also be neritina.

Asy
12th Jun 2006, 05:22 AM
Gorgeous snails ragn4rok! I'm envious :D

Yeah anyone keeps apple snail out there?

I read about some snail website claiming, they eat planaria and small crusteans like mini snails. I also worried about their plant eating capability i wonder are whether they plant friendly.
my .02
I have P. bridgesii, Asolene spixi and P. canaliculata. Bridgesii won't eat living plants, but may eat some algae and decaying plants. They come in quite a few beautiful colors like purples, magentas, jades, blue, etc. Canaliculata will eat aquarium plants and can be identified by a cinnamon bun kind of shape, they come in gold, wild, and some less common jades (more off gold than an actual green color). Spixis won't eat plants as adults but will as babies. They lay their eggs underwater, so keeping them in a planted tank is iffy. I suppose if you kept one, that you knew hadnít mated before itíd work.

I don't know much about the planaria aspect, doing a search of applesnail.net might help you out there.

:)

Cosmic
25th Jun 2006, 06:32 PM
i have all 4 of them. it's cheap in Singapore. S$1 each.

I live in eastern Singapore and don't see LFS here selling snails. Can you share where are some shops that sell them? Thanks

Sweet Angel
26th Jun 2006, 01:03 AM
R4gnarok, could you advice where we can find those snails here in Surabaya East Java?
Maybe you know one of the supplier.

I need the snails to keep my tank clean but couldn't find any in the market. They've dissapeared for months now (almost 1 year) :cry:
Snails in your last 4 pics I never seen in the market, but the previous ones I've owned them, but still need more, if I can get them, I prefer to collect the new ones like your last 4 pics :D

Shrimper06
26th Jun 2006, 04:43 AM
Hi, Great job with the pics. It makes me want to get more snails for my tank.

Thank you!