PDA

View Full Version : ADA soil after 1-2years

alfredo
28th Oct 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi,

I'm using ADA soil on my CRS tank as I learnt that it lowers ph to a comfortable level for CRS.... & I must say that its working fine at the moment...

My concern is that after a year or 2... do we need to change the soil? I don't think its properties of lowering ph would last forever, would it?? :huh:

BaLuKu
29th Oct 2006, 12:52 AM
I heard people say 2 years must change or something like that. However need some expert to clarify as well :D

acesk
29th Oct 2006, 12:49 PM
I not expert but can give you an idea of what to do. Hope this help.

Add additional soil into the tank once every month to maintain the property of the soil. Best to add in every water changes. 1 cup of 50-100ml will do the trick. Only problem is after 4 to 5 years. Your tank is almost fuilled with ada soil. >_<

If you do not want to have problem with Ada soil, you can change and use underground fertiliser with a combination of ground substrate of any type. The underground fert will release minerials properties equevelent to those of Ada. Can grow plants on crystal type substrate too. The problem is only with pH. For pH, use biological substrate with pH lowering properties. Helps in keeping low pH but only problem need to change once every 3 months and i do not know wheather they release chemicals that increase your kH or not. Alternative is to add in dried ketapang leaves. Release of natural taint acid is the best. Keep your tank pH low and shrimps can feed on the leaves too. In Singapore can get it easily in any park. Free and is very derocative. :)

acesk
29th Oct 2006, 01:00 PM
Add on to previous post.

Ada soil will tend to become milky and mud like in 2-3yrs time. That is the major probelm it is bringing to people. It will become so refine like those sand in beach and is a not recommended product for plant keepers / aquascaping hobbiest. As for properties of Ph, it definetely will drop in long terms. Info from reliable source and shop keeper who sold this product.

Cheers.

BaLuKu
29th Oct 2006, 11:50 PM
if we do not plant heavily and only use moss. Must we still care if the ADA break down to smaller particle?

acesk
30th Oct 2006, 11:43 PM
Up to individual to decide. :) Only problem is the tank tends to get milky when you flush fresh water down as the solid soil had turn into fine sand.

BaLuKu
31st Oct 2006, 09:08 AM
using charcoal will help reduce the milky water and making it clear?

Thana
1st Nov 2006, 09:04 AM
I have used ADA Aquasoil for my planted tanks more than 2 years. It has never make water milky even after water changing but crystal clear all the time.
Aquasoil may have some disintegrate but remain bead like particle not turn to mud.

For pH lower effect issue, Aquasoil will have less effect with time but I think it still ok for crs.

amazonia-2year.jpg

This picture show almost 2 years Aquasoil in my planted tank

BaLuKu
1st Nov 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the input. I will only be able to tell in 2 years time. lol

silane
1st Nov 2006, 11:15 AM
I have been reusing Adasoil for more than 2 years. If you ever need to dry them, do not allow them to completely dry, they will crack. Other than that physical properties of Adasoil remail largely intact for 2 years or more.

acesk
1st Nov 2006, 06:49 PM
We see. :D :D :D

silane
2nd Nov 2006, 12:47 AM
using charcoal will help reduce the milky water and making it clear?

Yes, charcoal helps. I think macroposes charcoal has to be used for this purpose.

Aqua Essentials
3rd Nov 2006, 10:29 PM
Add on to previous post.

Ada soil will tend to become milky and mud like in 2-3yrs time. That is the major probelm it is bringing to people. It will become so refine like those sand in beach and is a not recommended product for plant keepers / aquascaping hobbiest. As for properties of Ph, it definetely will drop in long terms. Info from reliable source and shop keeper who sold this product.

Cheers.

Simply not true. Where these rumours have come from I do not know. As for your comment about it not being recommended for plant keepers - ADA products are only for plant keepers.

I suggest you ignore your "reliable source"

defi
19th Jan 2007, 10:53 PM
I dont think it will become mud or milky. It wii become sand like powder. Check the ph constant time. If the ph drop, then is the time to change it. Thats why they set 16 month for ada soil. before that, get ready the other tank to cycle tha water.

Aqua Essentials
19th Jan 2007, 10:59 PM
I dont think it will become mud or milky. It wii become sand like powder. Check the ph constant time. If the ph drop, then is the time to change it. Thats why they set 16 month for ada soil. before that, get ready the other tank to cycle tha water.

Again I have to disagree. I have used it for over 2 years and it's just the same as when I put it in.

What do you mean by "they set 16 month for ada soil?". I've never heard of this. I also know people who have used aquasoil for over 3 years with no problems.

defi
23rd Jan 2007, 09:41 PM
Ya! I face that too! One of my fren used ada for almost 3 year. Is still no problem at all. But a lot of japanese breeder suggest to change it every year.

retardo
25th Jan 2007, 03:14 PM
Over time, the properties of aquasoil will eventually deplete. It cannot sustain its properties forever. Take regular soil in agriculture... you have to replenish it with nitrogen compounds (e.g., manure as fertilizer) to keep it growing strong year after year. With aquasoil, it is harder to replenish and eventually will "die out." Each person that uses aquasoil will have a different result. YMMV.

bosebani
16th Apr 2007, 10:11 PM
Pardon to bring up an old thread as i got some questions on ADA soil.

Do we have to wash the ada soil at 1st use? I read the instruction behind and is menioned NO need to wash, hehee...seems too good to be true but i just followed.

Now after 1 week, the water is still slight milky, is it because i never wash the soil?

Many Thanks :D

simcb
17th Apr 2007, 03:47 PM
Pardon to bring up an old thread as i got some questions on ADA soil.

Do we have to wash the ada soil at 1st use? I read the instruction behind and is menioned NO need to wash, hehee...seems too good to be true but i just followed.

Now after 1 week, the water is still slight milky, is it because i never wash the soil?

Many Thanks :D

You will just have to do water changes more regularly, add active carbon to speed up the process. You might remove later when the water clears to allow natural filteration to take its course.

bosebani
18th Apr 2007, 07:49 PM
THanks, will try to change some small amount water every day, hope it helps :cheesy: