PDA

View Full Version : Queries on DIY Fan

shrimpz
13th Apr 2005, 03:15 AM
Hi bros,

just a short intro... I am a newbie in shrimp rearing. Have set up a 2ft tank tank with moss, DW and ferns with internal filter etc. Will get cherries to try out in 3 weeks time. Anyone have a few good quality cherries to sell? :D

I am currently using a DIY PC fan(12V) abt 10x10cm attached to a small NEWSTAR AC-DC adaptor of 1.5-12V. I am wondering if I should switch the adapter to the max 12V and on it 24hrs or 9V(next lower option)? Or should I off the fan at night when I introduce the shrimps? The adapter gets slightly warm when its on 9V 24hrs. Is the adapter able to withstand if at 12V or 9V 24hrs or less? How long can this adapter last? Is there any other recommended adapter or fan I can get? More worth to get a commercial fan? Any recommendations and price?

Thank you.

jojoecute
13th Apr 2005, 09:08 AM
Morning & welcome to shrimp wonder land...

Since now you have no shrimp in tank, no need to on it..
In future when shrimp in tank, on 24 hours... 9-12V adaptor still get warm as normal.. So i advise on it to 12V
Nothing is perfect & long lasting...

For me i will get a stand by set for myself..

As for cherries shrimp, you drop by Nature Aquarium - they selling $0.50 / pc and quality is reddish...

Hope you enjoy shrimp keeping...

Hi bros,

just a short intro... I am a newbie in shrimp rearing. Have set up a 2ft tank tank with moss, DW and ferns with internal filter etc. Will get cherries to try out in 3 weeks time. Anyone have a few good quality cherries to sell? :D

I am currently using a DIY PC fan(12V) abt 10x10cm attached to a small NEWSTAR AC-DC adaptor of 1.5-12V. I am wondering if I should switch the adapter to the max 12V and on it 24hrs or 9V(next lower option)? Or should I off the fan at night when I introduce the shrimps? The adapter gets slightly warm when its on 9V 24hrs. Is the adapter able to withstand if at 12V or 9V 24hrs or less? How long can this adapter last? Is there any other recommended adapter or fan I can get? More worth to get a commercial fan? Any recommendations and price?

Thank you.

simcb
13th Apr 2005, 09:46 AM
Like what jojoecute says, to keep the shrimps happy its neccesary to on it 24hrs.....if there are no shrimps in it yet u dont have to on it at all.

I try not to diy the fan which would cost $20++ cause i not an expert at choosing the fans brand.

try profanatic fan($40) come with clip on to tanks(not sure the spelling) dont have adapters and they are strong and quite slient. The best i have seem so far.

I heard from many users they are hardy too(dont lose power easily as compared to some brands after using for a few months 24/7).

I would think of it as a long term investment...wouldnt want to change fans after 6mths ...then the cost would be the same. :rolleyes:

Walter
13th Apr 2005, 01:29 PM
i think DIY fans should be able to last as long... :) depends how well it is fixed :D

anwyay welcome to shrimp keeping hobby! :D:D