PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Control

DragonLor
12th Apr 2005, 01:27 PM
I found that my shrimp tank got some mosquito baby crawling in the gravel sand.

Can any sifus advice on how to control this problem?
Can I put the ghost shrimp? Will ghost shrimp eat the mosquito?

Is there any fish that wont eat shrimplet?

simcb
12th Apr 2005, 02:11 PM

Try sourcing for Boraras family such as merah , micro , Briggtte and etc.(max size only 2.5cm)
They are by far the most shrimp friendly fish beside Otos.

Get 1 or 2 if is 2ft tank. Helps control the worms and bugs too. (Except Planaria)

Walter
12th Apr 2005, 04:32 PM

try not to use the term "sifu", forummers from different countries here :) Say "experts" would be better :cool:

Anyway i am just curious, i thought mosquito larvaes are top dwellers? i dont think those at the gravel are mosquito larvaes but some other bug :)

cairocks
12th Apr 2005, 04:50 PM
Long time ago, I also found some worm like creatures in my spare tank used for keeping 2 blind cave fish. The worms seems to have used the dirt/shit at the bottom to built a cocoon around itself with the head part outside when not disturbed. Used a chopstick to disturb it and out comes the worm which look and swims exactly like a mosquitoe larva. Don't really know how it breath without comming to the surface.

DragonLor
13th Apr 2005, 09:02 AM
Ya, the worm I mention can make cocoon using fish shit too. It is red color.

Is it the red worm? Is red worm = mosquito's baby?

simcb
13th Apr 2005, 10:52 AM
http://www.happydranch.com/4.html

I tried doing a search ....
Does the worm look like the one in the above link?

Walter
13th Apr 2005, 01:14 PM
highly possible is what simcb posted.. but how you get that in your tank?

anyway definitely not mosquitoe larvaes.. mosquito L. need to stay at the water surface... and once out of cocoon it is a mosquito already :)

DragonLor
13th Apr 2005, 01:30 PM
I also went to search on the internet, and I found that the worm look exactly like the mosquito larvae. And it is red in color.

I wan to show the url to the image file of the mosquito larvae but seem like the system not alot me to do that.

Anyway Walter, it is weird that the larvae didnt stay at the water surface. The larvae most of the time stay in the gravel. When I feed the shrimp, I can c the larvae oso share the meal.

Yesterday I put some ghost shrimp inside. Hope that ghost shrimp will help me to control the larvae

silane
13th Apr 2005, 05:32 PM
If it is red, it could be bloodworm larva, bloodworm make cocoon out of dirts and stay at the bottom. How many of those you have? If not to many, just leave it, they will turn to mosquito (won't suck human blood type) and fly away.

If you don't have a fan, add one, that will prevent insects from landing at waterline to lay eggs.

Look like this?
http://scd.mm-a.yimg.com/image/860342031

simcb
13th Apr 2005, 11:57 PM
i think the blood worms will turn in midget flies. :D