PDA

View Full Version : Minerals needs for shrimps.

xxzagxx
31st Jan 2015, 09:43 AM
Hi, I have been keeping neo and cardina for a long time. The parameters are always within the recommended range, however the shrimp survival rates are always so low.

I was reading and I came across people mentioning that trace elements are necessary for the shrimps healthy growth. May I know where do people dose these trace elements? I currently only have an old sea mud inside

hyoushoku
31st Jan 2015, 11:28 AM
Hi,

Are you able to tell us more on your setup, maintenance regime, feeding regime and dosing regime?

xxzagxx
31st Jan 2015, 12:29 PM
It's a 20l tank. With black quartz sand and a big piece of old sea mud rock. Comes with driftwood and christmas moss. I feed them mosura bioplus once a week. Typically I try to feed them borneowild colour.

Shrimp : fired red

Water parameter
GH : 10
KH : 0-1
Tds : 200
PH : 7.3

Weekly water change 10%. Typically water top up with RO. Water change with RO and gh up borneowild by weight and tds.

Biodigest twice a month.

hyoushoku
31st Jan 2015, 12:46 PM
When you mentioned "shrimp survival rate is low", are you referring to adult or baby is dying frequently?

What is the filter are you using?

xxzagxx
31st Jan 2015, 01:11 PM
Hi, my adults are fine, but the shrimplets survival are probably 10%. I probably see one dead every 2 days.

I'm using an external canister filter at about 150l per hour. The temperature is at 25-26degree Celsius.

Really appreciate your assistance. If I have missed any additional information for your assessment do let me know.

hyoushoku
31st Jan 2015, 01:47 PM
Here is my recommendation:
1. Put a pack of Purigen in your filter. Recharge it every two weeks.
2. Change your water only once every two weeks.
3. Reduce the feeding as much as possible. 20L tank is way too small. Also reduce all those so called bacteria shrimp food. They contain more food than bacteria, which will pollute your small tank easily.
4. Buy a bottle of Seachem Flourish Trace. Dose half the recommended dosage, but split the dosage into daily dosing.

Stop dosing the old sea mud. With your small tank, you will kill them instead of helping them.

xxzagxx
31st Jan 2015, 04:29 PM
Wow! Thanks! I'll get those items. May I wonder how did you locate the bleach solution for the recharge of the purigen?

hyoushoku
31st Jan 2015, 04:57 PM
What do you mean locate bleach? Do you mean which bleach to use?

xxzagxx
31st Jan 2015, 05:05 PM
Yes. Any idea which bleach we should use? Or what to look out for? Because there are tons of household bleach available and I'm afraid Ill add the wrong content

hyoushoku
31st Jan 2015, 06:17 PM
Get the unscented type and does not contain detergent. Look at the ingredient. Get those only contains water and Sodium Hypochlorite.

I was using the brand Lion that is made in Japan. Due to it's high cost, I switched to Chlorex. Cheap and good but Lion is better.

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 06:07 PM
Hey hyoushoku. Really appreciate your assistance! My shrimplets are growing up much strongly than before. I'll update you again when the batches of shrimps are matured.

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2015, 07:24 PM
That's great!!!

Keep us updated on the progress. ;)

Recently, I upgraded my blog and wrote some advance guides on starting a shrimp tank. If you are planning to start a new tank soon, you may use it a reference. :http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/how-to-setup-shrimp-tank

Cheers.

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks! I have seen your website and it's been an inspiration! Could I check why my fired reds are turning orange instead of remaining red. Is it due to the lack of spirulina?

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2015, 08:04 PM
I doubt spirulina has any effect.

Do you have a close-up picture of your shrimp?

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 08:28 PM
Hey, my image below. Taken it yesterday morning. Most of them have been turning more orange than red.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/eeba22db20ed3081440d7e7b60862bcc.jpg

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2015, 08:46 PM
They look pretty transparent to me, not a good sign. What is the pH and GH?

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 09:02 PM
Oh is that so? The shell has gotten pretty thick as compared to previous time when the seller sold this to me. Previously I could even see the saddle very clearly.

Currently the conditions are as follows
PH : 7.3 ( used to be 6.5 as it's housed with crs, now I split it and decided to give it a mild alkaline environment)
GH : 9 (used to be 5 and I raised it)
KH : 1

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2015, 09:05 PM
When is the last time you changed the water parameters?

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 09:10 PM
Close to 2 weeks back. Did it as I thought that the low gh with my existing crs could be the problem.

There were 2 deaths so far. All of which happened within 2 days after the change in water parameter. Thereafter, there have been several successful molts so far in one piece.

xxzagxx
15th Feb 2015, 09:11 PM
With several newly berried mothers and new shrimplets from the previous batch.

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2015, 09:14 PM
When drastic water parameter changes, the shrimp will lose colour.

Give them another another 2 weeks and see how it goes.

Avoid adjust the pH too high. The higher the pH, the more nutrients will precipitate, and ammonia will be formed more easily. ;)

xxzagxx
28th Feb 2015, 05:09 AM
Hi, after 2 weeks, the sprinkler survival rates have definitely been much higher! However I do realise the continued lose of colours of my adult females. I use to have them in would dark red, whereby the saddle was hardly visible. Now, after molding 1 week, them have turned kinda transparent and I'm able to see the saddle very clearly. Is that a symbol of something?

hyoushoku
28th Feb 2015, 05:13 AM
Do you have close up picture of the adult female?

xxzagxx
28th Feb 2015, 06:05 AM
Sorry that I couldn't really transfer the photo from the camera. This is one of them. There is another one where is even paler but I couldn't locate the lady. When I get the chance I'll share again

hyoushoku
28th Feb 2015, 09:56 AM
Seems like a sign of not enough nutrients.