PDA

View Full Version : Blue pearl shrimp dying

Lyana
4th Jan 2015, 12:35 PM
Hi, I'm new to shrimp and recently added some blue pearl shrimp to my tank that I've had running 1 year. It's 5 gallons and planted. I drip accommodated them over an hour from TDS 320 to TDS 157, not sure what the other reading were i didn't take them. Temp around 68.

Anyway, all of them were fine for 2 weeks and then i wake up to three dead and one had turned a milky white color. The only thing I did different was dosing a little phosphates for the plants.

One more dead today and now i have 2 white ones, the rest have good color and the dead ones weren't white. They seem less active overall from when I first added them. I added an air stone because the HOB filter doesn't move the surface much.

I have flora max substrate and a piece of driftwood i got from the lake and cleaned well. I used algaefix in the tank when i first set it up but that was almost a year ago. I feed them 3 times a week.

Readings in the tank are as follows:
Gh 8
Kh 9
Ph 8.2
Nh4 0
No2 0
No3 0
TDS 157
Temp 73

Abhishek
5th Jan 2015, 07:12 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

Looks like the dosing is the culprit..
Btw how the ph is 8.2 and tds is 157? Ideally ph should also be low isnt it?

Lyana
6th Jan 2015, 04:08 AM
No more dead that i can see, so fingers crossed.

My ph is 7.8 out of the tap but always settles to 8.2 in all my tanks. TDS is 201 but I'm mixing it with ro water for shrimp tank because gh and kh are 16. But it doesn't lower my ph.

cleeon
6th Jan 2015, 06:27 PM
No more dead that i can see, so fingers crossed.

My ph is 7.8 out of the tap but always settles to 8.2 in all my tanks. TDS is 201 but I'm mixing it with ro water for shrimp tank because gh and kh are 16. But it doesn't lower my ph.

I'm trying to help.

Do You have snails in Your tanks ?

Lyana
8th Jan 2015, 05:11 AM
I'm trying to help.

Do You have snails in Your tanks ?

Yeah, tiny pond snails hitchhiked with some plants i added before the shrimp.

cleeon
8th Jan 2015, 09:00 AM
Yeah, tiny pond snails hitchhiked with some plants i added before the shrimp.

this just My analyze based from experience, but maybe not accurate with Your aquarium condition, accumulated from the snails shell from the one which was died, can increase the ph of water significantly, makes the water become harder, You can soften use dried leave or maybe with the help from aquatic plant like egeria densa. Hope can give little help :)

Lyana
12th Jan 2015, 01:12 AM
The ph is 8.2 in the tanks without snails too, but I'll keep that it mind :)

Had some more shrimp die, the small ones. I'm stumped. Is 8.2 ph too high for them?

cleeon
12th Jan 2015, 09:19 AM
I don't know yet, We have several tanks here with ph around 7.8 - 8, but the neocaridina shrimp have berried well.

but for more than 8.2, I suggest You try down the ph with dried leaves, all leaves from big tree and with big leaves (if You can find it), to Your tanks with high ph.

I ever read some aquatic plant like egeria densa can softer the water too and it fast growing plant :)

Lyana
13th Jan 2015, 10:08 PM
I have some oak leaves I tried for crafts, I'll try adding a couple and see what happens. I heard they like to eat on the leaves so I'm sure they won't hard.

cleeon
15th Jan 2015, 06:37 AM
I have some oak leaves I tried for crafts, I'll try adding a couple and see what happens. I heard they like to eat on the leaves so I'm sure they won't hard.

good luck. luckily, yesterday I was bought some neocaridina shrimp and the Seller give Me some egeria densa for free, I will wait around 2 weeks, is it really that plant can softer the water ??? :)

Lyana
18th Jan 2015, 05:34 AM
Cool! I added a couple oak leaves. The shrimp aren't touching them but we'll see what happened with the water. I'm down to about half of my shrimp. And they don't seem that active.

I adjusted the water temp to 75ish because i read they like warmer water. I checked phosphates too yesterday and those are around 0, the only thing I can think of now is bad tap water or my flora max held onto something nasty from the algaefix that's now leeching back into the water column.

cleeon
18th Jan 2015, 02:10 PM
Cool! I added a couple oak leaves. The shrimp aren't touching them but we'll see what happened with the water. I'm down to about half of my shrimp. And they don't seem that active.

I adjusted the water temp to 75ish because i read they like warmer water. I checked phosphates too yesterday and those are around 0, the only thing I can think of now is bad tap water or my flora max held onto something nasty from the algaefix that's now leeching back into the water column.

hmm..I'm using celcius here, as I know, temp. around 25 degree is good. I ever try to add dried tea leaves to My shrimp aquarium (neocaridina) and I still waiting the affect. >>>do not try this and I do not recommend, cause I'm still waiting the result for this research :). >>>>I just thinking that everyone is easy to get dried tea leaves :D

Lyana
23rd Jan 2015, 01:18 PM
Not sure what you mean? I'm not using tea leaves lol. Just oak leaves I dried for crafts.

I haven't lost any more that I know of, and I have two berried ones. But more are turning white and they don't move much. They keep hanging out at the surface too. I wonder if they have some mild bacteria infection. Not sure why less they would turn white?

Should I treat with paraguard? I don't want to hurt the berried ones.

cleeon
24th Jan 2015, 09:51 AM
Not sure what you mean? I'm not using tea leaves lol. Just oak leaves I dried for crafts.

I haven't lost any more that I know of, and I have two berried ones. But more are turning white and they don't move much. They keep hanging out at the surface too. I wonder if they have some mild bacteria infection. Not sure why less they would turn white?

Should I treat with paraguard? I don't want to hurt the berried ones.

from what I read, using salt bath is safer.

Lyana
4th Feb 2015, 11:19 PM
Well, i decided not to mess with them any more and it seems to be working. I now have 3 berried females and haven't lost anymore. There are still a couple white looking ones but they're not dying so not sure why. Guess I'll see if the babies survive.