PDA

View Full Version : Fire shrimps dying daily (diease ?)

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 09:01 PM
Hi guys would like to seek some expertise. My fire red shrimps has been dying almost daily and their head's seems to be having some sort of black "patterns/patches" ? Is it some kind of disease ?
http://i57.tinypic.com/s44bwz.jpg

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 09:20 PM
The black pattern does not look like anything that is bad.

Are you able to tell us more on your setup and water parameters?

Jasonpoh
10th Nov 2014, 09:26 PM
if the shrimplets are ok, then its probably old age.

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 09:31 PM
The black pattern does not look like anything that is bad.

Are you able to tell us more on your setup and water parameters?

setup using canister, sponge and seachem matrix. substrate lava sand gravels. water parameters all is good 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, abt 10-15ppm nitrates. the adults are dying daily a few here and there but the young fries are unaffected. i seem them grow up and all is very active and well.

heres what i did initially. when i thought there might be something wrong with the water, i tried to shift them into my other fire tank (there is a empty partition column). But they still die on a daily basis whereas the young fries of these dying adult fire in the original tank all are well and growing good and fast. so i started to suspect could it be some sort of disease since i noticed some black patterns on around their head and body and quite a number of them the coloration of their shells going off. it does not look as solid but fragmented as though becoming that of sakura shrimps and there are some forms of pattern on some their cheek as though like some sort of cuts ? im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 09:32 PM
if the shrimplets are ok, then its probably old age.

doubt so, if its old age couldnt be dying on a daily basis at quite an alarming rate 2-4pieces a day

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 09:35 PM
setup using canister, sponge and seachem matrix. substrate lava sand gravels. water parameters all is good 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, abt 10-15ppm nitrates. the adults are dying daily a few here and there but the young fries are unaffected. i seem them grow up and all is very active and well.

heres what i did initially. when i thought there might be something wrong with the water, i tried to shift them into my other fire tank (there is a empty partition column). But they still die on a daily basis whereas the young fries of these dying adult fire in the original tank all are well and growing good and fast. so i started to suspect could it be some sort of disease since i noticed some black patterns on around their head and body and quite a number of them the coloration of their shells going off. it does not look as solid but fragmented as though becoming that of sakura shrimps and there are some forms of pattern on some their cheek as though like some sort of cuts ? im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?

What is the pH? What kind of water are you using?

If you are using lava sand, your NO3 is way too high. NO3 is not the killer but what causes high NO3 is the killer. How many shrimps you have and how often are you feeding them and by how much? Also, how big is your tank?

"im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?" <--- I know what you mean. This is usually caused by unable to moult or they injured after moult.

By the way, how long have you been in this hobby?

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 09:58 PM
What is the pH? What kind of water are you using?

If you are using lava sand, your NO3 is way too high. NO3 is not the killer but what causes high NO3 is the killer. How many shrimps you have and how often are you feeding them and by how much? Also, how big is your tank?

"im not sure how to explain that as well, but it looks like some slashes or injuries kind of ?" <--- I know what you mean. This is usually caused by unable to moult or they injured after moult.

By the way, how long have you been in this hobby?

its kind of wierd too the other tank with the same substrate all seems alright. ph 7.0. tap water, would prepare water dechlorinate it and let it age in another tank as my water reservoir with 24/7 air pump running in it. the water would be use only after 1 day or more later. originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily usually all gone within 6hours. tank is a custom 80x30x30cm. about a year i started

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 10:02 PM
sorry not lava sand, its volcanic sand

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 10:04 PM
Lava sand usually will buffer to pH 7, plus minus 0.2.

What is the pH of your problematic tank?

"originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily " <--- 100+ pieces???!!! What are you feeding and how many shrimps you have? I only feed 2 pieces of shrimp wafers per day for a 500 to 1,000 shrimp tank.

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 10:05 PM
Lava sand usually will buffer to pH 7, plus minus 0.2.

What is the pH of your problematic tank?

"originally about 100+pieces i feed them daily " <--- 100+ pieces???!!! What are you feeding and how many shrimps you have? I only feed 2 pieces of shrimp wafers per day for a 500 to 1,000 shrimp tank.

ph 7.0. tap water, would prepare water dechlorinate it and let it age in another tank as my water reservoir with 24/7 air pump running in it. the water would be use only after 1 day or more later.

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 10:11 PM
So... What is the 100+ pieces of food you are feeding? I'm curious on that.

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 10:13 PM
So... What is the 100+ pieces of food you are feeding? I'm curious on that.

mosura food, gravidas, brood, specialty, excel. i doubt its the food problem. because my other tanks i been using same food and same water preparation, but somewhat only this tank the fire are dying

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 10:16 PM
It is the food causing part of the problem. With inert lava sand getting NO3 that high, it means too much organic waste.

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 10:18 PM
It is the food causing part of the problem. With inert lava sand getting NO3 that high, it means too much organic waste.

hmmm i take another reading and see how it goes later. i do my bi-weekly water change of 25% and usually nitrates are still within 20ppm and below

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 10:22 PM
hmmm i take another reading and see how it goes later. i do my bi-weekly water change of 25% and usually nitrates are still within 20ppm and below

This is not normal, mate.

There are two suggestions for you:
1. Reduce your feeding. Shrimp does not need to eat man-made food that much. They need mostly microbes and zooplanktons.
2. Throw in a pack of Purigen into your filter to suck up your organic waste.

Too much organic waste will cause both good and bad bacteria to bloom. As such, your shrimp will slowly get weak and easily infected with diseases. They also will start exhibiting moulting issue like you narrated about the scratches symptom.

Shrimp Boy
10th Nov 2014, 10:33 PM
This is not normal, mate.

There are two suggestions for you:
1. Reduce your feeding. Shrimp does not need to eat man-made food that much. They need mostly microbes and zooplanktons.
2. Throw in a pack of Purigen into your filter to suck up your organic waste.

Too much organic waste will cause both good and bad bacteria to bloom. As such, your shrimp will slowly get weak and easily infected with diseases. They also will start exhibiting moulting issue like you narrated about the scratches symptom.

thanks for your information and sharing but i do not have any purigen. hmm but organic waste of the shrimp is inevitable ? will monitor my feeding more. how do you increase the amount of beneficial microbes and zooplanktons in the tank ?

hyoushoku
10th Nov 2014, 10:47 PM
"hmm but organic waste of the shrimp is inevitable ? " <--- That's not true.

"how do you increase the amount of beneficial microbes and zooplanktons in the tank ?" <--- Hard to tell you in just a few lines.It has to be started all the way from setting up the tank.