PDA

View Full Version : My Tiger shrimps

Kenshin
31st Aug 2006, 01:35 PM
Alright gang, here are my Tiger shrimps that I have bought from a local USA dealer. The shrimps are imported though and quiet a few did not survive for long. Of the 50, I only have around 12 to 15 Tiger shrimps that are alive and well for close to a month now. The good news is that, so far I have at least 4 Tiger shrimps carrying a whole bunch of eggs. Hopefully, there is at least a male Tiger shrimp in there to fertilize the eggs. Once the eggs hatch (if successful), I can then isolate only the baby Tiger shrimps and allow that to generate my colony and future colonies of Tiger shrimps. Enjoy the pictures and wish me luck. :rolleyes: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Aoshi11/Tiger2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Aoshi11/Tiger1-1.jpg

Shrimper06
31st Aug 2006, 03:26 PM
Good luck, and those are some nice tiger shrimps! Thank you for the pictures again :)

Santos_Esther_17
31st Aug 2006, 05:23 PM
Nice tiger shrimp!!!

Gus
20th Sep 2006, 02:20 PM
Nice Tiger you have, i'm also into tiger breeding now ( having 20pcs in my tank )

luigi545
20th Sep 2006, 06:27 PM
Nice Tiger you have, i'm also into tiger breeding now ( having 20pcs in my tank )

me as well :D

kinda fall in love with them and be phrasing cherries out

here's mine

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/luigi545/shrimps/image01.jpg?nocache=1158747903

retardo
21st Sep 2006, 12:13 AM
You have a very nice female Tiger there.... strong solid stripes and bright orange tail. Tigers are by far my favorite shrimp... my only problem is getting them to breed consistently.

luigi545
21st Sep 2006, 12:32 AM
You have a very nice female Tiger there.... strong solid stripes and bright orange tail. Tigers are by far my favorite shrimp... my only problem is getting them to breed consistently.

how do i different a male from female? i assumed the shrimp was male lol!

Kenshin
21st Sep 2006, 02:00 AM
Hi retardo,
I do not have any problems in making them breed consistently (the wild type wise). As of now, I have already produced the F1 population in captivity (the eggs hatched for almost 2 weeks now and so far I have seen at least 15 Tiger shrimplets - they grow very quickly). And the parents are already carrying eggs or developing their eggs in their ovaries. I feed them only once a day with water changes once per week. My water temperature is around
72 - 76 F, and my pH is around 6.60 - 6.80.

Kenshin
21st Sep 2006, 02:14 AM
I believe the picture luigi545 displayed here is a female Tiger shrimp as well. Female Tiger shrimps' head tend to be more level (or horizontal) with the rest of their body. Male Tiger shrimps' head tend to tilt upwards at an angle. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

retardo
21st Sep 2006, 02:51 AM
Kenshin,

My pH is around 7, the last time I checked. I think I may have to look into lowering to get higher survivability rate from the Tigers.

BTW, I attempted to send you a PM, but you may have it disabled.

Thanks.

Kenshin
21st Sep 2006, 02:55 AM
Hi Retardo,

I have not disabled the PM command, in fact I do not even know how to do that. I thought I do not have that PM function because of my status as a fairly new member still. Well if you can help me in enabling my PM function, I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

Gus
21st Sep 2006, 10:16 AM
ya i find them look real nice thats why i started to breed them and will release some into some of the river in singapore in the future.

At the present moment this are the shrimp i 'm breeding and will release it into our river.

1) Cherry Shrimp
2) Bee Shrimp
3) Tiger Shrimp
4) CRS Shrimp ( Cheap one )

here's mine

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/luigi545/shrimps/image01.jpg?nocache=1158747903

retardo
21st Sep 2006, 11:58 AM
Gus,

I hope you are kidding about releasing any of your captive-bred shrimp into the local Singapore waterways! This is never a good idea! The shrimp you release into the waterways could outcompete the native species in the waterways and disrupt the ecosystems there. They have the potential to become an invasive species. There could be so many more problems that could arise too. I read too many stories of the local authorities trying to get rid of invasive species to restore ecosystems back to their original state. :undecided >(

Not only that, but you could be causing species that already exist in the waterways to crossbreed with the species you are introducing, if they are compatible. Nobody wants that. If species are to evolve, they should do it naturally, not by the introduction of a foreign species. :huh:

Please, please, be a responsible hobbyist and keep these species in your own tank or give them to others... Please *do not* introduce them to the Singapore waterways. I think most, if not all, would agree with me on this. It really concerns me that you may have already done so without considering the full ramifications of your actions. :embarasse

Best Regards,

-r

silane
21st Sep 2006, 11:58 AM

here's mine

Hi,

Is this the so called Red Head Tiger?

I bought some the other day, they look quite great in bags with yellow head and tails, but when it is place into my tank, I cannot see the yellow head and tail, perpahs it is due to color of my gravel. Now they look like other tiger shrimps that I already had in my tank breeding.

retardo
21st Sep 2006, 12:01 PM
Silane, that is just a regular ole tiger shrimp. Some specimens exhibit brighter orange on the head and tail areas than others. I don't think there's anything special about it.

silane
21st Sep 2006, 12:06 PM
Rich,

I think I have to agree with you, days before regular cheap tiger was released in our market, the so-called red head tigers in LFS with a much higher price tag, then the mass release of normal looking tigers.

silane
21st Sep 2006, 12:10 PM
ya i find them look real nice thats why i started to breed them and will release some into some of the river in singapore in the future.

At the present moment this are the shrimp i 'm breeding and will release it into our river.

1) Cherry Shrimp
2) Bee Shrimp
3) Tiger Shrimp
4) CRS Shrimp ( Cheap one )

Gus, if you have any shrimps to release, please release into my tank, I can assure you that my tank does not have predator to eat them up, and they are predator to eat them in the wild. :)

Frank
21st Sep 2006, 01:25 PM

Hello Gus,
In my country itīs not allowed to release animals in nature.
Thatīs not so nice to native species. Think of crossbreeding for example or the native species can get lost over some time because the intruders are stronger.
Better give them to other people please. Thatīs better for the nature.

Gus
21st Sep 2006, 01:34 PM
Dear Bro Retardo

No worry for that i have yet proceed with the action and tks for the advice and will cancel the plan :)

Gus,

I hope you are kidding about releasing any of your captive-bred shrimp into the local Singapore waterways! This is never a good idea! The shrimp you release into the waterways could outcompete the native species in the waterways and disrupt the ecosystems there. They have the potential to become an invasive species. There could be so many more problems that could arise too. I read too many stories of the local authorities trying to get rid of invasive species to restore ecosystems back to their original state. :undecided >(

Not only that, but you could be causing species that already exist in the waterways to crossbreed with the species you are introducing, if they are compatible. Nobody wants that. If species are to evolve, they should do it naturally, not by the introduction of a foreign species. :huh:

Please, please, be a responsible hobbyist and keep these species in your own tank or give them to others... Please *do not* introduce them to the Singapore waterways. I think most, if not all, would agree with me on this. It really concerns me that you may have already done so without considering the full ramifications of your actions. :embarasse

Best Regards,

-r

Gus
21st Sep 2006, 02:12 PM
No problem will let u have some once my tiger reach a certain amount.

Btw Bro silane

I notice that i can't reply in the looking for green shrimp coloum can check it out for me??? tks inadvan

Gus, if you have any shrimps to release, please release into my tank, I can assure you that my tank does not have predator to eat them up, and they are predator to eat them in the wild. :)

retardo
21st Sep 2006, 02:46 PM
Dear Bro Retardo

No worry for that i have yet proceed with the action and tks for the advice and will cancel the plan :)

Sorry if I came across as harsh... just want to make sure that we keep the environment the way it is. :D I'm not an environmentalist though... :rolleyes: And thank you for keeping your mind open.

Gus
22nd Sep 2006, 11:21 AM
No worry its a small small thing :D

Sorry if I came across as harsh... just want to make sure that we keep the environment the way it is. :D I'm not an environmentalist though... :rolleyes: And thank you for keeping your mind open.

Moses703
22nd Sep 2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with other's about the idea that we hobbyists should be responsible

for what we do. But I should say we all should not lose our

stewardship in our heart. Releasing the creature to it's nature is a

great thing, only creatures that should not be released are

the ones from foreign places.

Are there any bee shrimps, cherry, or tiger shrimips in singapore's river?

Gus
22nd Sep 2006, 12:20 PM
So far i saw ghost shrimp in the river but i notice some place had cherry shrimp too but not much.

I agree with other's about the idea that we hobbyists should be responsible

for what we do. But I should say we all should not lose our

stewardship in our heart. Releasing the creature to it's nature is a

great thing, only creatures that should not be released are

the ones from foreign places.

Are there any bee shrimps, cherry, or tiger shrimips in singapore's river?