PDA

View Full Version : Cherries "too active"??

Peng Kang Hill
30th Aug 2006, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

I am new here - just set up a very small cherry shrimp tank at office after 8 weeks cycling (yes, somewhat kiasu).

Yesterday, got myself 12 cherries and almost 24 hours into it and n casualties (touch wood!!). However, I find the cherries more active than they were when they were at the shop. In their new home, they are always swimming around (not darting) and even go up to the water surface (here, again doesn't look as if they did that due to lack of O2).

Is this normal?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Shrimper06
30th Aug 2006, 11:31 AM
It is normal for the shrimp to be active when water conditions are good. Afer I change my water the shrimp do swim around and are more active. Have you fed the shrimp and are they eating?

Peng Kang Hill
30th Aug 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the assurance.

Only a few of them are eating - probably because not too used to the food yet. But I guess things should be fine because it is already 24 hours and no casualties (touch plenty of wood again!!).
:)

Jenova
30th Aug 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

I am new here - just set up a very small cherry shrimp tank at office after 8 weeks cycling (yes, somewhat kiasu).

Yesterday, got myself 12 cherries and almost 24 hours into it and n casualties (touch wood!!). However, I find the cherries more active than they were when they were at the shop. In their new home, they are always swimming around (not darting) and even go up to the water surface (here, again doesn't look as if they did that due to lack of O2).

Is this normal?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Did you just unpack and add directly into the water? Might not be too healthy if they are still doing that after a few days.

IMHO

Peng Kang Hill
30th Aug 2006, 04:32 PM
No - I float the bag for 20 minutes and then pour everything in - including the water that came from the shop.

My friend came to take a look and he said it could be my filter creating a current that is too strong. He has a point there because the shrimps behave that way only on that part of the tank where the current is. If they swim elsewhere, they seem to be normal and able to settle on the substrate and under some plants.

Rgds.

Adam
31st Aug 2006, 04:48 AM
From my own somewhat limited experience I have found that if your shrimp are excessively swimming around the tank then some water parameter is likely to be the cause. Happy shrimp generally just crawl around constantly nibbling on things. Sitting around motionless for long periods is another sign of stressed shrimp. To be honest I think the latter of the two is more serious as I have seen shrimp doing this keel over and die not too long after.

If I may say floating the bag in your aquarium for 20 minutes only equalizes the temperature and not the water parameters. It's better to open the bag up and add some of the tank water to the bag every few minutes. I find the best way to acclimatise shrimp to the parameters of a tank is to empty the contents of the bag into a container and then to slowly drip water from the tank into the container using a piece of airline.

Regards.

Adam

Peng Kang Hill
31st Aug 2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Adam.

I will take note of that (haha - sounds like Singapore Idols' famous phrase).

Today, I have begun feeding them a little more and they seem to be contented - like what Adam says, crawling around and nibbling.

Conclusion - were they too hungry??

Rgds.

evobenny
5th Oct 2006, 06:18 PM
I have malayan shrimp that are constantly swimming around and swimming nonstop. Only when there is food they will all come and rest and take the alage wafer.

As some of the bro said it was a sign of stress. But have zero casulty for like 2 week already.

pH was 7
hardness was 5 german degrees

Sometime i add blackwater to lower the pH. It's just funny, does they swim about a lot or they are really stressed? Because i see them swimming 24/7 yet they are still alive and kicking and giving out babies.