PDA

View Full Version : My shrimp crack open and die!?

Rbnserrate
25th Feb 2014, 04:27 PM
Hi all,

I added 10 shrimps to my brand new (but mature) tank and they keep dying slowly one by one.

I do think it has something to do with molting, other shrimps seem ok and water quality seems to be ok as well: amonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates about 7.5mg/l

I've had three losses in a week, and yesterday I noticed that one of my shrimps had a white strip on top, as if she was about to molt. It looked very similar to this one here:

What's that white stripe??

I noticed she wasn't able to use her legs properly, she could still swim using her little short thingies below her body, but was having trouble to land on her feet and stand.

This morning I woke up just to see her dead in the same spot where I left her agonizing last night. It looks like the molt in her head was starting to come off.

PLUS I also found a new dead one stuck to the filter, and not far from this one an empty molt.

Can anyone please let me know what's going on???

I also have an asassin snail in the same tank, might he be injecting some kind of poison to them after molting?

Please help! :(

PS: after reading about problems with molting just ordered some Shirakura Mineral Stone

LUCCI
14th Jul 2014, 02:16 AM
Hi, i dont know if you did but i think you should measure your TDS, maybe your warter is too hard for them to molt.

ShrimpmasterNL
14th Jul 2014, 04:00 PM
What is your GH value? Could be the problem.

Frank
15th Jul 2014, 06:45 AM
Beside hardness check the food. Too much protein let the shrimps grow too fast.

hyoushoku
15th Jul 2014, 10:01 PM
Hi Rbnserrate,

Constant high mortality rate are complex to diagnose. Are you able to tell us your setup in detail and also your dosing and maintenance regime?

You may want to hold back from ordering the mineral stone. If it is mineral problem, which you do not know what minerals yet, the Calcium Bentonite (the mineral stone you are ordering) will adsorb sodium and potassium (it is also essential minerals).

It is better to diagnose the problem properly before you add or change anything.

Mr ROMA
16th Jul 2014, 12:23 AM
Hi!
I think really have a problem with shrimp molt .Shirakura mineral stone helps, but we need to learn more about the conditions.

hyoushoku
16th Jul 2014, 12:40 AM
I re-examine your picture again and re-read your post. Your these shrimps are newly added for less than 2 weeks right?

Your shrimp looks bloated and very likely caused by osmotic shock (from higher TDS going into lower TDS and body flooded with water.). This explain the bloating and cracking of shell.

LUCCI
16th Jul 2014, 01:30 AM
I re-examine your picture again and re-read your post. Your these shrimps are newly added for less than 2 weeks right?

Your shrimp looks bloated and very likely caused by osmotic shock (from higher TDS going into lower TDS and body flooded with water.). This explain the bloating and cracking of shell.

I'm facing the same problem here and i don't know how to do it safety, i really would like to read your opinion about this subject if its possible. Thanks.

hyoushoku
16th Jul 2014, 08:42 AM
Hi Lucci,

Do you want my opinion on the shrimp death or bloating? If it is about the shrimp death, please start another thread and post the death pattern, shrimp tank setup, your maintenance regimen and dosing regime.

Thanks.

LUCCI
16th Jul 2014, 09:48 AM
Hi Lucci,

Do you want my opinion on the shrimp death or bloating? If it is about the shrimp death, please start another thread and post the death pattern, shrimp tank setup, your maintenance regimen and dosing regime.

Thanks.

Ok, will do but i want your opinion about whats the better way to get my TDS lower without killing my shrimps.
Thanks.

hyoushoku
16th Jul 2014, 09:55 AM
Actually, higher TDS helps new shrimp. You got it wrong oppositely.

Bloating is caused by putting shrimp into a lower TDS environment. This is another reason why new shrimp die easily in new tank.

I will start a thread when I have time to discuss this topic and educate people at the same time.

LUCCI
16th Jul 2014, 10:17 AM
That will be great, thank you.

Smedn
20th Jul 2014, 04:32 AM
I had some blue Tigers with the same problem. I read it could be some kind of bacteria, and Genchem Beta-G could fix it. I started adding it, and didnt lose more shrimps.
But.. They were also moved from higher TDS aqurium to a lower TDS, so they might just have ajusted..

hyoushoku
20th Jul 2014, 09:39 AM
I had some blue Tigers with the same problem. I read it could be some kind of bacteria, and Genchem Beta-G could fix it. I started adding it, and didnt lose more shrimps.
But.. They were also moved from higher TDS aqurium to a lower TDS, so they might just have ajusted..

Actually, feeding Beta-glucan is the latest hype. Not sure how effective it is. If anyone are feeding it to the shrimps, please do share and let know your findings.

Rbnserrate
29th Sep 2014, 08:02 PM
As a really late update:

I bought soime Sirakura mineral stone and I haven't lost any more shrimp because of this. They were probably missing something in the water.

hyoushoku
29th Sep 2014, 08:57 PM
Shirakura rock is one type of Calcium Bentonite rocks. Chances are they are lack of dietary calcium or magnesium. There is also a slim possibility that they lack of trace elements but Calcium Bentonite may not contain plenty of them, just a tiny bit.

Rbnserrate
29th Sep 2014, 09:01 PM
How can I provide them with the rest of those trace elements?

Any special food you would recommend?

hyoushoku
29th Sep 2014, 09:19 PM
Hmm.... What brands of shrimp stuffs are easily accessible?

Rbnserrate
30th Sep 2014, 10:11 PM
Hmmm pretty much any brand I think as I would be buying it online.

hyoushoku
30th Sep 2014, 10:19 PM
I can't remember whether I have recommended that you have to dose trace fertiliser?