PDA

View Full Version : strange plants

knokie
12th Aug 2006, 05:34 PM
Hello there. I noticed that most of the leaves in my tank has this strange hairy plants. May I know what is that? :(

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/knokie/Misc/leaves.jpg

Thanks

andrewtyr
12th Aug 2006, 05:45 PM
They are called algae, beard algae I think

knokie
12th Aug 2006, 06:31 PM
Is there anyway to remove them? They make my plants looks ugly. :x

jbicb3
12th Aug 2006, 08:52 PM
Do a search on here for Hydrogen Peroxide. I saw a post talking about using it to get rid of the algae.

cheetf
12th Aug 2006, 08:54 PM
Make sure you don't dose your tanks while having shrimps inside!

jbicb3
12th Aug 2006, 09:00 PM
Make sure you don't dose your tanks while having shrimps inside!
Right. If you can pull the plants and dip them in the HydProx solution, then rinse them before you reintroduce them to the tank.

knokie
12th Aug 2006, 09:03 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide!! :shocked: I thought that is used to clean the wounds??

jbicb3
12th Aug 2006, 09:10 PM
Here's a link to the thread:
Well, I can't post a link. But do a search like I said above, and you will find the info you seek.

knokie
13th Aug 2006, 01:09 AM
I have googled some info on Hydrogen Peroxide solution but it will kill my fishes and shrimps for sure...do you think I should change all the plants? :x

andrewtyr
13th Aug 2006, 02:16 PM
If the plants didn't cost you too much, it would be wiser to throw them away and do a 20% water change.

Frank
13th Aug 2006, 02:36 PM
I would think about the cause first.
Enough fast growing plants and swimming plants would help a lot.
You also have to find the right "balance" for your tank.

nacra99
15th Aug 2006, 10:24 PM
It's hair algae.
Flourish Excel kills it.
I have used it with Cherry shrimp at reccomended dosage and it is fine.. don't know about any other shrimp though

knokie
15th Aug 2006, 11:38 PM
I would think about the cause first.
Enough fast growing plants and swimming plants would help a lot.
You also have to find the right "balance" for your tank.

What is swimming plant? Which do you recommend?
Thanks

retardo
15th Aug 2006, 11:59 PM
Swimming plants are floaters, such as duckweed (lemna minor) and other similar plants.

Frank
16th Aug 2006, 01:59 AM
Lemna minor is not my favourite. It has all the good qualities of a swimming plant but itīs not so easy to remove and your arm is totally green when yourīre working in the tank.
I prefer pistia stratiotes wich is looking nice with the long roots.
Itīs also a good indicator for iron. If not enough they turn yellow and so itīs time to give some fertilizer.
For small tanks I prefer najas as fast growing plant.
I also have problems with moss only tanks. Moss is mostly slow growing and in full light you can get hairalgaes easy.
So I add other plants to get the balance.
There are still much more factors to get algaes.
Maybe this could be some first steps to kill them.

retardo
16th Aug 2006, 02:49 AM
I despise duckweed myself. I try to avoid it, but sometimes they hitch in on other plants.... not easy to get rid of, like pellia or riccia, only worse.

Frank
16th Aug 2006, 03:51 AM
Hello retardo,

Iīm trying to remove duckweed since a half year. >(
Sometimes I already see some small pieces.
It got from one tank to all of my tanks.
Itīs a plague.

Do you believe that some people are buying this? lol

(floating must be the right word instead of swimming, please excuse my bad english)

retardo
16th Aug 2006, 03:52 AM
People that don't know what a pain it is to have growing in their tanks and what a hassle it is to remove... yes, unfortunately, they are buying it. lol

Xema
16th Aug 2006, 05:56 AM
Algaes appear due to an imbalance in the nutrients of your water, mainly Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potasium. they are the main nutrient to the plants, but one of hte is scared or plentiful than other ones, algae can aproach it and grow as a pest.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a radical solution that improve the look of your tank temporaly, but that doesnīt resolve the real problem of the nutrients imbalance.

Greets from Spain

knokie
16th Aug 2006, 07:54 AM
I just fill in about 3ml of fertilizer to my tank last Friday. Besides, I keep changing 20% of my tank water with RO water daily due to the algae problem. What level of Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potasium I need for my tank? Any guideline? It is hard to get some floating plants here except duckweed.

I have 10 shrimps + 2 Otto in tank but the hair algae is still growing, I wonder whether they are doing their "jobs" to help me to eat all the algae or not :rolleyes: