PDA

View Full Version : neon tetra in Red Cherry shrimp tank?

BexterDaniel
9th Oct 2013, 10:51 PM
hello,

i wonder if neon tetra are safe with my cherrys?
my wife present me for my birthday 2 pairs of neon tetra as she doesn't know about shrimping,she just bought it as the LFS guy say neon's are safe with shrimps..

so any advise ?, ..i have a planted 4 gallon cherry shrimps tank.

thanx:)

hyoushoku
10th Oct 2013, 01:11 AM
NOOOOO.... They will eat the shrimp babies!!!

The only fishes that are shrimp-safe are Otocinclus and Panda Loaches. However, they need algae to munch on. If they go into hunger, they may eat anything that can fit their mouth too.

Keith
10th Nov 2013, 03:34 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/SPECIAL%20PHOTOS/JEBOSPECIALPHOTO2112-copy_edited-2.jpg

Here is my Shrimp tank at one stage it had 30 Cardinal Tetra

It also had breeding Darwin Red Nosed, Cherry Red, and Chameleon Shrimp

Now I have 2 Cardinals left and 20 Threadfin Rainbows and Shrimps still breeding.

Keith:):)

Acidic
7th Nov 2014, 09:16 PM
I kept neon tetra with shrimp and they were fine. I also had a betta in with them. As long as there are plenty of hiding places the shrimp will be happy. Just make sure your tank isn't over-populated.

Keith
8th Nov 2014, 07:49 AM
Acidic

First if you still have the Betta with the shrimp he must be a very happy little Betta with all the fresh food you are giving him.

Over stocked that is impossible to give an answer reason no numbers or tank size plus filtration given.

Keith

Acidic
9th Nov 2014, 11:12 PM
I gave two valid points which are both important when keeping fish and shrimp together which had not previously been discussed.

Like I said, plenty of hiding places allow the shrimp to live quite happily without the betta bothering them.

Your second statement doesn't really make sense, but yes, over-population is an issue with small tanks. 4 gallons isn't a lot of room. Plenty for 4 tetra on their own, but if there's also over 50 shrimp in there, it's going to be crowded. I usually go with 10 shrimp per gallon, and less if there are also fish.