PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave Killed my Tigers!!!

TheTeh
30th Jul 2006, 03:43 AM
Weather in the UK has been extremely hot for the past few weeks with temperature as high as 37C!!! My tank temperature reached nearly 30C! I used a fan to cool down but did not help much, it reduced down to about 27C.

One by one, my aldult tiger shrimps were dying and head count now reaches 11 death!! Only three alduts left and they are all females, so no eggs for now.
Luckly all the baby tigers were alive an kicking! So I will just have to wait until these grow up to have another reproductive population.

I must add that despite the tigers dying off, the cherries are tough as hell! They do not seem to be bothered at all by the heat. They remain calm as usual. During the heat wave, the dying tigers were not responsive to food and they would reach up to the surface of the water or near the water outlet to ‘cool’ down but to find them dead the next day. So watch out if they rise to the top of the surface!! During this time, the cherries continued to feed and stay at the bottom! Still no eggs from the cherries yet!!!! WHY?? I need to buy more in case mine are all females.

Hope the hot weather is over soon!

cheetf
30th Jul 2006, 09:13 AM
Sad to hear that. However that is a problem we face a lot over here where the weather is hot all the time. :(

bochr
30th Jul 2006, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your tigers.

We have the same problem here in Denmark, where the last month has been unusually warm.
On the warmest days I have put some icecubes behind my hmf's. That has helped some. I still lost 1/3 of the shrimps in the hottest tanks.
They promise cooler weather tomorrow. I',m crossing my fingers, that they are right.

bjar
30th Jul 2006, 09:13 PM
It is easy to keep the temp down,just put enough plastic bottles with frozen
water in the tank(leave enough air in it so it floats) some extra cirkulation with an air pump is also goood to help even out the temperature and increase oxygen in the water since hot water holds less oxygen than cold water does
and switch off or remove the lights (they can heat the water more than you think!)

keithtang
30th Jul 2006, 10:36 PM
Cooling tank with bottle of ice
is a way but they melt off very
fast and need to replace in no time

simcb
31st Jul 2006, 10:20 AM
It's ok learn from this. Be prepared for the next summer :cool: .

kross
31st Jul 2006, 10:16 PM
Get a chiller to standby for next time? I reckon there will be more heatwaves in the future. :rolleyes:

NULL
1st Aug 2006, 05:28 AM
I agree that bjar's advice isn't so good for you guys in Singapore.
But in Sweden the heatwave(>25C) is max 1/10'th of the year, and in the nights it drops fast.
So in countries like Sweden his advise are really good, a much more simple solution than many think of.

Xema
16th Aug 2006, 06:48 AM
Another option to get down water temp, would be invert the lighting period at the night. I mean, turn on the light at the night and turn off at the day.

In Spain we are having maximun level of 40º C, we are used to this temperature all summer. We keep our houses totaly close, so the hot air doesn´t go in the house and keep down the temperature. In the tanks I use to use cooling fans, getting temperature levels around 27ºC.

In the middle of july I had go out of my home, and in that time my cooling fan set up had a problem and it stopped to work. Temperature got up around 34ºC and the most of my shrimp died... but I am plenty of hopes, some of my strange Neocaridinas sp. 'leopard' (I name them so) survived to the heat accident.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Aquatika/varios/neocasp0112012006800.jpg

Greets from Spain

TheTeh
16th Aug 2006, 06:51 AM
Thanks for sharing the experience. Nice picture! It looks like some sort of Tiger hybrids. Do you have any other types of shrimps in the tank?

Xema
16th Aug 2006, 07:04 AM
They were living with bee, but they died before that ones.

droid
9th Apr 2008, 03:19 AM
Back, to where you mentioned how the tigers died. You said that they went to the surface and filter outlet to "cool down". I think they may been looking for oxygen. As water gets warmer, it's carrying capacity for oxygen is greatly reduced.

Perhaps, vigorous aeration would save some shrimp in such a situation. The aeration would drive off CO2 while increasing oxygen content. (The use of a powerhead may be counterproductive at high temps as it would heat the water even more.) Also, the turbulent surface would increase evaporation which also would have a cooling effect.

DIY: Hey! what if you put the air pump in a cooler of ice or even inside an old refrigerator (vented of course). Voila! Air-conditioned shrimp tank.

Just a couple thoughts if someone should see a similar situation.

Go Pens! Fish On!
droid

milt
9th Apr 2008, 10:42 AM
Talking about the resilence of cherry shrimps, I have a semi outdoor water hyacinth pot with a few cherrys in it, now with hot weather, temp reached 33C for an hour or so daily, they are still alive for the last few weeks so hoping for the best....
My CRS are currently surviving in 26-28 C water now with about 20 shrimplets(or more), I use a fan and they seem okay as long as water temp does not go above 28C. In dec months when it was raining, they were surviving in 24-27C water and that was the time many of them got pregnant and gave birth. I don't think CRS like big temperature changes and I sometimes find a dead shrimp if temperature fluctuates more than 3C. Sometimes I have to off the fan now so that the temp does not drop below 25C on cool rainy days because the next day when the sun comes up and temperature rise too fast above 3C range, one or two shrimps may succumb.
Funnily though, I have 2 CRS in a small cherry shrimp tank that has no fan and temp is usually 28-30C and they are alive!(for the last 2-3months already). Go figure. One even got pregnant and lost her eggs halfway in contrast to my tank with fan where no CRS has lost eggs halfway. So it seems that high temperatures definitely affect their breeding capacity.
Please note that my CRS are low grades ones so don't blame me if you experiment with high grade ones!
I think good aeration definitely helps in warmer weather and also slow acclimatisation to warmer weather helps. In Singapore we do not get sudden heat waves as it is usually warm througout the year, just slightly cooler in the rainy months.... Just to share. :)