PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp ID

ck5656
24th Jul 2006, 05:37 PM
Hi i brought these under algae eaters, can anyone tell me the name of this shrimp?

This is only the best image i could get

acesk
24th Jul 2006, 06:02 PM
This is a Cherry Shrimp (Pregnent ).

ck5656
25th Jul 2006, 01:23 AM
Are these eggs fertilized as i read with red cherrys the eggs should be yellow?.

Thanks

Robert
25th Jul 2006, 06:40 AM
Hi,
it is almost impossible to say what species it is just with the help of a single picture. Without the origin and without more information about the morphology we can just guess what it might be. There is more than one red shrimp species for sure.

Your shrimp doesn't really look like a cherry shrimp. Cherry shrimps have green or yellow eggs and they are red mutations of probably several subspecies of Neocardina denticulata (Neocaridina denticulata sinensis and probably N. d. davidi, if the experts of crusta10.de are correct).
From India is a red shrimp known which looks quite similar to yours. It looks very similar to Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' but it is red. Sometimes they are caught together with these green shrimps. BTW, there are several green shrimps from India for sure and one of the species can be found together with a more or less red species. It is not the species shown in our Species section here at SN.

best regards

Robert

call_apple
25th Jul 2006, 06:40 AM
They can be yellow,green, or brown. Mine have had all 3 colors.