PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant shrimp

Mikee
15th Jul 2006, 04:19 AM
Just got these shrimp about 3 days ago and i see one female cherry shrimp with eggs my first time :D shes about 2 cm in size am not sure how long it takes for them to hatch :S and also is there anything i should avoid doing?

Shrimper06
15th Jul 2006, 04:35 AM
It should take about 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch. Just keep the water quality good and stable and do not transport her. Make sure the inlet of your filter is covered with sponge or fine mess so it does not suction up the babies. Then sit back and enjoy!

Mikee
15th Jul 2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks! :D I'm just using a sponge filter so no worries about them getting sucked up!

Mikee
15th Jul 2006, 09:37 AM
Just noticed the eggs look greenish..is this normal?

Shrimper06
15th Jul 2006, 09:53 AM
This is fine. I have found that as long as the eggs change color close to the due date and the eggs are not dropped before hatching it does not really matter if the eggs are yellow or green. :)

Mikee
20th Jul 2006, 04:47 AM
o.o I think my pregnant female gave birth! :D I looked in my tank when i woke up and saw
that the female looked very large just like she was when she had the eggs but there was no eggs left so i thought right away that she must of dropped them then i look a little closer and i see these TINY little white thing darting around the tank im not sure if they are young or something else o.O i also noticed another female in the tank was pregnant! hopefully they are the babies! :D

Shrimper06
20th Jul 2006, 09:24 AM
I hope congratulations are in order and you do have shrimplets. They are about 2mm in size and look like mini white shrimp. Try to get a magnifying glass to look at them or else try to get your eye as close as you can to them!

Mikee
20th Jul 2006, 10:07 AM
thanks! :D make that 2 pregnant females now ;]