PDA

View Full Version : My first berried bee

DanielH
10th Jul 2006, 05:06 AM
Well, I have been breeding and selling cherry red shrimp for a few years now, and just recently ventured into the more difficult shrimp. I have 5 bees (3 male, 2 female) in a 2.5 gallon tank, with ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, some drift wood, najas grass, and a sponge filter. I bought some cheep wild type to see if I could breed these shrimp. Now that they are obviously breeding I think I am going to upgrade to some higher grade shrimp as well as some CRS. Are there any good sources you guys can recommend for the States?

http://members.aol.com/itsdanimback/beeegg.jpg

DanielH
12th Jul 2006, 12:56 AM
My second female began carrying eggs today! They seem to drop the eggs the night after they molt! Good things!

Anyway, a few qustions. How long do the females carry the eggs before they hatch at temp of 24-25 and a pH of 6.5-6.7?

My tap water has a pH of about 8.0 and when I do a 20% water change it raises my pH to about 7.2-7.5. As stated above I have ADA Aquasoil Amazonia in the tank to control the pH now. Is there anything I can do to stop the pH swings?

silane
12th Jul 2006, 01:16 AM
What's your water temperature? The hatching period depends on temperature.

DanielH
12th Jul 2006, 01:28 AM
My tempature is 24-25...

retardo
12th Jul 2006, 02:39 AM
The incubation period is roughly 21 days for most higher order species (Bees, Tigers, Cherries, etc.), give or take a few days.

Shrimper06
12th Jul 2006, 07:30 AM
Do eggs hatch quicker in warmer temperatures?

retardo
12th Jul 2006, 09:20 AM
Yes they hatch sooner, but only by a few days or so. In my opinion, whether they hatch a few days sooner will not diminish the joy of watching the young after they hatch nor the adults as they berry again. I keep my tank at 72 degrees, and so far it's been a great experience.