PDA

View Full Version : Are shrimp sensitive to Iodine?

gr81
23rd Jun 2006, 04:17 AM
Can I use iodine salt in aqua with CRS & RCS? Are they sensitive to iodine. I will add approx. 10mg of I to 90L tank.

Jenova
23rd Jun 2006, 10:56 AM
can I use iodine salt in aqua with CRS & RCS? are they sensitive to iodine. I will add approx. 10mg of I to 90L tank.

CRS or RCS don't require salt, not sure about iodine salt. Please don't add anything to your tank till you get firm confirmation from senior members here.

IMO, the water should be free of any additives or chemical.

gr81
23rd Jun 2006, 02:05 PM
I know. But I need to regenerate "Amtra NitratReduct" (absorbs NO3) and the regeneration in made by salt (Ion exchange of NO3- for Cl-). But all salt here contains Iodine so I'm afraid that some I- should be exchanged too. and then leached to watter.

btw: does active carbon absorb also I/I- ? i'm filtering through it.

Jenova
23rd Jun 2006, 02:55 PM
I know. But I need to regenerate "Amtra NitratReduct" (absorbs NO3) and the regeneration in made by salt (Ion exchange of NO3- for Cl-). But all salt here contains Iodine so I'm afraid that some I- should be exchanged too. and then leached to watter.

btw: does active carbon absorb also I/I- ? i'm filtering through it.

Sorry, but with my limited knowledge I can't advice you on that. All I know is to use active carbon to remove foul smell from the water.

I did a search on Google and to my surprise active carbon is rated by iodine content? :huh: Gosh I'm more confuse now. :undecided

imi_sky
23rd Jun 2006, 03:23 PM
shrimps need iodine to molt, alot of people add iodine straight to there tank. theres a theory out there that says it helps them molt but...i dont find the difference personally.

as for iodine salt, what is it composed of NaCl + I?

gr81
23rd Jun 2006, 04:06 PM
NaCl +KI approx. 25mg/kg. Guide of "NitratReduct" says: use salt to regenerate. Do not use salt with iodine.
I don't know why, maybe iodin reacts somehow and it looses absorb effect. Pity is, that no "not iodin" salt can be bought here, even pure salt (NaCL for chemical analysis contains Iodine at 0,008%, which is 80mg/kg (i hope)... much more than kitchen salt).

imi_sky
24th Jun 2006, 06:59 AM
I would suggest not using salt to regenerate NO3, as there really is no point in doing so, and no one has confirmed that it is good for shrimps.

Also don't forget salts will make the water quality more towards brackish and shrimps don't particularly like brackish other then amano larvaes and etc.