PDA

View Full Version : Can you put outdoor rocks in a freshwater tank if boiled?

rubic
14th Jun 2006, 03:12 PM
Can I take big stones/rocks from outside and put them in a new tank if I boil the rocks/sontes first??? If possible, please give me some tips on this.

cheetf
14th Jun 2006, 03:37 PM
Don't see why not as long as you clean them properly.
I wouldn't recommend any expensive fish or plants inside for sometime, let the rocks or stones soak for a while even if you have boiled them.
Boiling might kill live creatures and such in the rock but don't think it will get rid of any weed killer or any other chemicals in/on the rock.
Best start with some cheap fishes to 'test the conditions' after soaking.
Good luck!

gr81
14th Jun 2006, 03:37 PM
You can, but beware of composition. Flint should be fine, but shale, basalt,granite,marble and others can contain heavy metals or copper.

Frank
14th Jun 2006, 11:41 PM
You can put hydrochloric acid on the stone.
When nothing happens and the acid runs down like water you can use it.
Thatīs a procedure for fish tanks, donīt know if itīs safe for shrimps too.

bochr
15th Jun 2006, 03:31 AM
I have never had any problems using granite or slate.
Flint should be avoided if you have softwater fish/shrimps. It can contain pockets of lime.

ILIKESHRIMPS
13th Jul 2006, 07:28 PM
It's safer to soak it in water even after boiling. Be careful though. Sometime the high heat in boiling may have cause cracks in the rocks and you won't know what is inside.

spinex
14th Jul 2006, 11:47 AM
You can put hydrochloric acid on the stone.
When nothing happens and the acid runs down like water you can use it.
Thatīs a procedure for fish tanks, donīt know if itīs safe for shrimps too.

Yes this is what i do for my shrimp tank also. It will test whether the rock will dissolve when in contact with acidic water/solution.

After i run down with the acid. I put soak the rock in hot water and use a scrub to make sure it's clean and soak them again in salt water.

audreyhudges
12th Aug 2012, 06:49 PM
I have been using outside rock and what I did was I rinse them in the tub to get the mud off, then soak them with bleach and water, and then soak them again with just water. Never had an issue, so I think it is okay. Remember that do not use any chemical for cleaning the stone.

Maarten488
2nd Oct 2012, 04:41 AM
I have brought home some stones I found on my vacation at a beach at Rhodos, Greece. When I was home I left them in a bucket with water voor 2 days, changed the water and left it in for an other 2 days. Did that till no dirt came of them any more. You could see some dirt and sand in the water so that definitely is necessary to do when you want to put in some self-found rocks. Then I boilt some water and put it in the bucket with the stones, left that to cool down, washed the stones one last time and put them in my aquarium. I have CRS's and some small fish and have never experienced any problems with the stones. Every thing is healthy. And a big plus for me was that my Cardinal Tetra's really like to hang above it (don't know why, guess they do that in nature :p ) and they even sleep(or half sleep what ever they do :p ) like that! So it shouldn't be any problem as long as you are carefull.