PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp & Plants: Best filter option?

DJKronik57
6th Jun 2006, 10:41 AM
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with cherry shrimp in it and I have an Aqua Clear 50 HOB filter now. To prevent baby shrimp from being sucked up the intake, I used a filter sponge to cover the intake end, however this has rapidly clogged up and now my filter runs at a trickle.

What is the best filter option for a planted (something that does not disperse CO2) and shrimp (something that does not suck up babies) tank? What do other people use if you have a planted tank with shrimp? Is there some way I can make a better "pre-filter" for my Aqua Clear? Thanks for your help!!

-Andrew

JBN
6th Jun 2006, 11:13 AM
Hmmm...how about trying a pantyhose sleeve wrapped around the intake? It's small enough for a good flow rate but not small enough for baby shrimps to get sucked in.

DJKronik57
6th Jun 2006, 11:22 AM
Tried that, it clogged up in a matter of minutes. :undecided

retardo
6th Jun 2006, 01:58 PM
Scrap the HOB filter and go with an air-driven sponge filter.

cheetf
6th Jun 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm afraid that these critters will somehow find their way into the filter. I just cleaned my canister and found a whole bunch of them inside - even though I put a sponge at the inlet! However they seem healthy so I'm not really bothered. I just return them back to the tank.

Sweet Angel
6th Jun 2006, 04:16 PM
Tried that, it clogged up in a matter of minutes. :undecided

I used to have this clogging problems before, but now not anymore.
I'm using cloth / textile which people usually use to wrap woofers (sound system).
They have small pore so the babies won't get sucked, and filter won't get clogged :)

soniachan
6th Jun 2006, 08:38 PM
Try using a sponge (the holes can be fairly large so it doesn't clog up so easily) and then put a panty hose around the sponge. I've been using this without problems and have not had to clean/change the sponge for over a month now. The flow rate is still good!. I do use a big-ish piece of sponge -so that there is more surface area for the water intake before it clogs up.