PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to increase pH?

chunzhu
3rd Jun 2006, 06:50 PM
Hi, it seems like most of the tread i found is on how to lower the pH but not increase it. Can anyone teach me how to increase pH?? I haven't checked out the pH of my tap water but it seems like water tends to slide towards the the region of pH 5. How can i increase it to push it back to pH 6-7 and stabilise it??

Jenova
3rd Jun 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi, it seems like most of the tread i found is on how to lower the pH but not increase it. Can anyone teach me how to increase pH?? I haven't checked out the pH of my tap water but it seems like water tends to slide towards the the region of pH 5. How can i increase it to push it back to pH 6-7 and stabilise it??

You can throw a bag of coral chips or introduce air into your tank. You won't see immediate effect, but it will definitely buffer your low pH.

IMHO

chunzhu
4th Jun 2006, 04:11 PM
I'm running air pump but don't see much effect. How does air works to help improve the pH value???

Where can i get hold of coral chips and how does it look like?? I just went to some fish farms today but they don't seem to know how to increase pH except introducing me to those quick and easy chemicals. I heard before putting coral chips would help but would it be able to improve the pH or just increase the kh to create the buffer to prevent pH from dropping?? And how does it works??? How much should i put for every gallon of water?? And how would i know when to change it or wat difference would i see when the coral chips no longer has any effects on the water????

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I'm very new to conditioning of water ~_~

retardo
4th Jun 2006, 06:03 PM
Why do you want to change the pH of your water? What is the pH coming out of the tap?

chunzhu
4th Jun 2006, 08:16 PM
I didn't do a check on my water pH yet. During the process of cycling the tank, i think it has make the water more acidic. Currently it is pH 5.5. I hope to increase the pH value to 6++. Anyway is it true that photosynthesis can increase pH???

gillbert1
4th Jun 2006, 09:24 PM
I use crushed coral to raise and sustain proper ph. Just go to your lfs. It is used for gravel in saltwater tanks. Buy the smallest bag they sell, add directly into the tank or if you don't like the way it looks with your setup you can also add it in your filter. Only add about 3 peices at at time, check pH, repeat till you get the desired pH. I have never had to replace the crushed coral so far and it has been in my tank now for about 6 years. :)

chunzhu
4th Jun 2006, 09:28 PM
Cool, thanks man.

EbI
5th Jun 2006, 10:22 AM

Hi. May i know what is the rate of the CO2 and what fish you are keeping?

Please give more information next time so people know what is going on and they can reply to your problem. :)

chunzhu
5th Jun 2006, 10:27 AM
Opps sorry i didnt know so many factors play a part.

I do not have any fishes in my tank. Right now my tank has a handful of mosses and an air pump bubbling it so i do not see why the pH value would climb so high. Though i did put some dry up mosses to let it decompose for my mosses to absorb its minerals.

I do not use co2 too, that is why i am puzzled since CO2 raises pH value and i did not add in any, so this factor should not be the problem.

myrontay
5th Jun 2006, 11:08 AM
I seriously doubt that the pH from Singapore's taps is 5. Suggest that the water pH be checked before taking any action.

chunzhu
5th Jun 2006, 11:12 AM
Hmm i am not very sure why would it be 5.5 but it is pH value after i have the water cycling for quite some time. But i have tried test on the ph value of the water tap.

Jenova
5th Jun 2006, 12:26 PM
I'm running air pump but don't see much effect. How does air works to help improve the pH value???

Where can i get hold of coral chips and how does it look like?? I just went to some fish farms today but they don't seem to know how to increase pH except introducing me to those quick and easy chemicals. I heard before putting coral chips would help but would it be able to improve the pH or just increase the kh to create the buffer to prevent pH from dropping?? And how does it works??? How much should i put for every gallon of water?? And how would i know when to change it or wat difference would i see when the coral chips no longer has any effects on the water????

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I'm very new to conditioning of water ~_~

For me, I used about two hand full of coral chips for my 3ft tank. As for air pump, if my pH drops too much (6.6), I just turn on for 1 or 2 hours to reach 6.8-7.0.

Previously I had bought two pH pens (S$60 each) and both the measurements were incorrect. Now I bought a expensive pH monitoring probe (S$200) and leave it on 24 hrs to get accurate readings. You might want to check with your peers reading your pH pen to make sure it is giving the correct reading.

Regards

chunzhu
5th Jun 2006, 12:34 PM
Wah, air pump increases the alkalinity of the water. Looks like my air pump has been buffering the water, if i do not have air pump, maybe it will drop even more to pH value of 4.

I am using test kits for checking my values so i am using it sparingly. Is there any formula for the adding of how many pound of coral chips into 1 gallon of water to increase the pH??

Jenova
5th Jun 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure myself. I just estimate only. Not sure if anyone is familiar. Personally, I think there isn't any guidelines. Just add until you think the pH is right. But sometimes as the CC aged, you might have a sudden pH rise. Please monitor as you go along.

The reasons why my pH rise when I introduced air pump might be because I'm using CO2 for plants. CO2 lowers the pH.

retardo
6th Jun 2006, 02:32 AM
I do not use co2 too, that is why i am puzzled since CO2 raises pH value and i did not add in any, so this factor should not be the problem.

Actually, CO2 tends to lower the pH. It does not raise it.

chunzhu
6th Jun 2006, 08:14 AM
Is the decrease of CO2 in the water that increases pH? Anyway what do you guys use to check pH? Do you guys use the ph meter or the ph solution? I am using sera pH solution i find it pretty expensive. Any other recommending solution that is much cheaper? Snd i am still looking for a cheap ammonia test kit. I realise it is so expensive, so wat are you guys using as your test kits?

Jenova
6th Jun 2006, 11:10 AM
I'm using kind of expensive stuffs, so I better don't recommend. :x

Frank
6th Jun 2006, 01:08 PM
Iīm using a long time CO2 test from the brand Dennerle. That lasts about 6 weeks and longer but itīs not really cheap.
From the same brand you can buy an automatic pH controller wich is permanent testing and reguling the pH.
Not necessary IMO but definitly expensive. (over 800 S$)

chunzhu
7th Jun 2006, 09:50 AM
Wah, you guys really invest a lot into the tank.

Frank
7th Jun 2006, 02:01 PM
No, No, thatīs too expensive for me.
I only have normal co2 equipment.
Better invest in nice shrimps :joking:
Just want to show you what you can get on the market for example.

chunzhu
7th Jun 2006, 03:42 PM
Haha i see. Anyway thanks guys for all the advice and comments =)

Jenova
7th Jun 2006, 10:07 PM
Ke ke ke... lol S$800 plus is very expensive! My view of expensive is S$200 plus only.

EbI
18th Jun 2006, 10:40 AM
is yours a baretank? :huh:

chunzhu
18th Jun 2006, 10:42 AM
Mine you mean? No, i have lots of java moss in it but it just did not turn out well.