PDA

View Full Version : Sakura Cherry Shrimps With White Small Parasites on Head

johnfishman01
30th Jun 2013, 08:53 PM
Hello,

Can someone help please, have just purchased some Sakura Cherry Shrimp have quarantined Shrimp in separate tank.
Have notice some white marks look like mites or worms, they appear to be standing on the shrimps head in the vertical position.
Have anyone any idea what these are.? Regards John

monjak2444
30th Jun 2013, 09:54 PM
hi john i never heard about mites or worms on shrimp can u take a picture it would help alot.
are the shrimp cherry or sakura.

johnfishman01
30th Jun 2013, 10:33 PM
Hello,

Can someone help please, have just purchased some Sakura Cherry Shrimp have quarantined Shrimp in separate tank.
Have notice some white marks look like mites or worms, they appear to be standing on the shrimps head in the vertical position.
Have anyone any idea what these are.? Regards John

Sorry these are Sakura High Grade, Yes I will try and get a picture, this is some sort of parasites as I can see them wiggling and have witnessed then crawling over the shrimps head but so small have to use a Magnifying Glass. 20 X. Ill have to put on Super Macro for this to come out so you can clearly see..John

CalicoKitties
30th Jun 2013, 11:14 PM
Hi there john. :) Does it look anything like the stuff in the pictures in this blog post?: http://spacedodo-and-shrimps.blogspot.com/2012/01/les-scutariellas.html

(I know that blogpost was in french, sorry haha. But there was a thing at the top of my screen that let me translate it into english.)

If your little parasites look like that, then what you have there is a weird little thing called "scutariella japonica".. I had these on my cherry shrimp. It took me quite a bit of online reading when I had them in my tank just to find the name of them. They seemed to be harmless to the shrimp, actually. But anyways, if this is what you have, then let me first tell you to remove any moltings that you see! They come off with the molt, and if you take it out in time, you're also taking out a bunch of the little wormies. :D

These things should drop off of your shrimp when you give them a salt bath, so take out any shrimp you see with these on them and give them a salt bath. They'll go away after awhile of doing this. I'm sure you could find some other way to get rid of them, but that's how I did it. Well... Actually, it's not exactly how I did it. Here's what happened, sorry this is so long: I couldn't capture all of my shrimp with the worm things on them, and I ended up putting salt in the whole tank for a little bit and then changing it out with fresh water to get rid of them, thus practically giving the whole tank a salt bath. I don't remember how many times I did it. It's a really small tank, just 2.5g, so it was pretty easy to do. It worked eventually, but it's probably safer (and much easier!) to just go with a salt bath..

Anyways, sorry for such a long response! Hope I helped!

monjak2444
1st Jul 2013, 01:42 AM
whoa they look crazy does worms.

johnfishman01
1st Jul 2013, 02:13 AM
Hi there john. :) Does it look anything like the stuff in the pictures in this blog post?: http://spacedodo-and-shrimps.blogspot.com/2012/01/les-scutariellas.html

(I know that blogpost was in french, sorry haha. But there was a thing at the top of my screen that let me translate it into english.)

If your little parasites look like that, then what you have there is a weird little thing called "scutariella japonica".. I had these on my cherry shrimp. It took me quite a bit of online reading when I had them in my tank just to find the name of them. They seemed to be harmless to the shrimp, actually. But anyways, if this is what you have, then let me first tell you to remove any moltings that you see! They come off with the molt, and if you take it out in time, you're also taking out a bunch of the little wormies. :D

These things should drop off of your shrimp when you give them a salt bath, so take out any shrimp you see with these on them and give them a salt bath. They'll go away after awhile of doing this. I'm sure you could find some other way to get rid of them, but that's how I did it. Well... Actually, it's not exactly how I did it. Here's what happened, sorry this is so long: I couldn't capture all of my shrimp with the worm things on them, and I ended up putting salt in the whole tank for a little bit and then changing it out with fresh water to get rid of them, thus practically giving the whole tank a salt bath. I don't remember how many times I did it. It's a really small tank, just 2.5g, so it was pretty easy to do. It worked eventually, but it's probably safer (and much easier!) to just go with a salt bath..

Anyways, sorry for such a long response! Hope I helped!

Hi Yes that them exactly...seem to be wiggling on the shrimps head, are they feeding off the shrimp or just hitching a ride..? John

CalicoKitties
1st Jul 2013, 04:00 AM
Hi Yes that them exactly...seem to be wiggling on the shrimps head, are they feeding off the shrimp or just hitching a ride..? John

I'm not sure, actually.