PDA

View Full Version : i caught a bug! please help identify

Missi3ellie
30th May 2006, 01:09 AM
Hello everyone,

i was cleaning up some algea in my tank and i caught this huge black thing resting on my java moss. I have no idea what it is but i've seen my shrimp jerked off when it swim near this bug. Will it be harmful because if it does, i'm turning on my bug elimination mode >(

Please help me. Thanks :)

I've taken some pictures but due to technical problem i couldn't get any closer shots.(>.<) This is my very best with lousy carema:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Missi3ellie/IMGP1360.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Missi3ellie/IMGP1365.jpg

Robert
30th May 2006, 01:25 AM
Hi,
this is the larvae of a dragon fly. It will try to catch fries, small shrimps etc. because it is a predator. I would remove it from your tank. It could cause a lot of harm to your shrimps.

regards
Robert

Missi3ellie
30th May 2006, 01:38 AM
Thank you Robert for helping me.

Just another question, beside getting rid of them with a net, are there any other ways to prevent and remove these creatures? My tank is in my room and i can't imagine a dragon fly could travel so far to my tank >.<

retardo
31st May 2006, 12:58 AM
Did you add any new plants into your tank recently? More than likely, the dragonfly nymph hitch hiked in on a plant without you knowing it. Whatever you do though, get it out ASAP, if you haven't already done so. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Netting is probably your best bet to get it out. Hopefully, you won't have to destroy your entire tank just trying to catch it.

Missi3ellie
1st Jun 2006, 02:21 AM
Thanks alot! I will try my very best to get all of them. Somehow they are not hard to net just hard to see because they will hide in the gravels but then again thanks alot. I appreciate your advice.

m.ellie

Brian
1st Jun 2006, 07:45 AM
Missi3ellie this looks like one of those very gorgeous slender lady type dragon flies. They come in colours like siamese fighting fish, blues and reds e.t.c I would pop it into a jar of water and let it do it's thing you may be very happy to see it emerge as an adult. A little piece of mince meat once and awhile should be good and a clump of weed and one long piece of dried grass sticking out of the top of the jar so it can climb out when its ready. We have these in our garden and they are spectacular.The one in your picture looks almost ready to emerge, it's shape is almost completely that of a dragon fly already. I also don't think this species given it's size is going to do much damage to your hard shelled shrimp, though fish fry will definitely help it grow.
Your pictures are still better than what I am still trying to take of my shrimps.

Veneer
1st Jun 2006, 06:45 PM
Missi3ellie this looks like one of those very gorgeous slender lady type dragon flies.

To be specific, it is a damselfly larva.

dom
2nd Jun 2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks alot! I will try my very best to get all of them. Somehow they are not hard to net just hard to see because they will hide in the gravels but then again thanks alot. I appreciate your advice.

m.ellie
Get ready the tweezer. I normally use the tweezer to get it out. Fast and easy. Put them under the hot run for a while and it died within a minute.

Missi3ellie
3rd Jun 2006, 12:16 AM
Wow :D Thanks Brian. You make it seems that my tank has some kind of hidden treasure. Oh well may be the next time i manage to catch one i will take your advice and witness the process. The poor bug in the picture was eaten by a bunch of ants (i left it in my garden and it turned food).

However i will get a stainless steel tweezer like Dom said and get them out.
Thanks alot!

m.ellie lol

lightbolt75
3rd Jun 2006, 07:30 AM
This is indeed a damselfly nymph. They feed on whatever they can catch and that includes your shrimps. Whoever told you that shrimps are safe from damselfly nymphs, regardless of how hard their shell are, simply do not know what they are talking about. And they most certainly do not feed on mince meat. They feed on live prey as their eyes are attuned to detech movements. Dead meat lying on the bottom are simply ignored. Damselfly nymphs can take up to 2years to molt into adults and the one you have shown is most certainly very far from it. I would suggest that you look in your tank very throughly to fish them out.

ILIKESHRIMPS
13th Jul 2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe you can use some cover for your tank. Who knows if the mum had told others to come to visit your tank. :joking: Will be troblesome to get them out again. :p