PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry shrimp die while molting

herishi
1st Jun 2013, 03:15 AM
Hi Guys,

This is my first attempt at shrimp keeping I am struggling, I had 5 shrimp sucked into the filter :-( - filter now modified with a pair of tights :-) the remaining ten started off fine then one or two at a time they got a crack in the shell behind their head and hid in the plants, I thought this was molting behaviour but they all seemed to die in this state!

I have added a calcium block since then to try to help.

I have a 64L tank with :-

8 Guppies
3 Plattys
5 Cardinal Tetras
6 Ember Tetras
0 red cherry shrimp

Ammonia did go to 0.75 but treated with seachem prime
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
PH 7.8
GH 15
KH 6

Any ideas before I buy my next batch of Shrimp?

Thanks

Steve

CalicoKitties
2nd Jun 2013, 12:57 AM
Hi there! :) Sorry to hear about your shrimp troubles.

It was probably that they didn't have enough calcium, if you didn't have the calcium in there before.

Did you notice the fish pestering your shrimp? If so, the fish may have stressed out the shrimp since they're more vulnerable during molting time.

It's also possible that you got an unhealthy batch of shrimp..

Good luck - Sorry I wasn't much help haha :)

herishi
2nd Jun 2013, 03:21 AM
Yeah I went to a few other shops while away and noticed the difference, I think the first 2 batches I got were ill. I went back to the same shop ( the only one in my area that sells shrimp) and the difference in the shrimp was amazing! I got 10 more and fingers crossed I will have more luck this time.

Also I noticed one of the shrimp are fanning their rear legs (as if to circulate water over eggs) but I cannot see any eggs, is it possible this is thefirst stage of pregnancy?

Thanks

Steve

CalicoKitties
2nd Jun 2013, 04:03 AM
Glad to hear you got some healthier shrimp this time! :D

I always notice my cherries doing that after molting, so perhaps she had just molted :) For my berried shrimp, the eggs always seem to pop up right away and I haven't ever noticed any difference in their behaviour before the shrimp get berried. But hey, if you see her with eggs soon, congrats!

She also could have dropped her eggs; Shrimp can do that sometimes if they get too stressed (i.e. from being moved to a different tank or being harassed by fish) or if the water parameters aren't right for them.

herishi
3rd Jun 2013, 04:50 AM
thanks CalicoKitties

Much better shrimp this time, I think all the shrimp have molted now :-) and no deaths :D fingers crossed for at least one berried shrimp, after buy 15 that died then having to buy another 10 I cant really go out and get anymore, and my tank is looking a little bare.

hyoushoku
3rd Jun 2013, 08:46 AM
Looking at your water parameter, it is due to too much mineral and water is not acidic enough to soften the old shell. PH and mineral level has to be balanced.

herishi
3rd Jun 2013, 04:12 PM
well I am certain one of the shrimp is berried at least saw the eggs with eyes last night :-) Thought I saw a couple of shrimplets too but cant find them this morning, they are in a breeding tank with 7 one day old guppy fry. but I have lots of moss and plants to hide in so they could be in there somewhere, the Adult shrimp is still fanning and though I havent got a good look this morning I think the rest of the eggs are still attached.

CalicoKitties
3rd Jun 2013, 10:47 PM
That's great!

Yeah, the shrimplets can be really hard to find. They're super tiny, and for the first couple of days after hatching they usually hide until they get a bit stronger.

herishi
3rd Jun 2013, 11:03 PM
I'm starting to think I might have mistaken a tiny guppy fry for a shrimp, it was late last night and I might have seen what I wanted to see, no sign of them today at all and no more from mum so I think it may have been wishful thinking. :-(