PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for CRS

centuryegg75
22nd May 2006, 06:34 PM
Have 5 crs in a moderately planted 3 ft tank, heavily decorated with drift wood providing lots of crooks and crannies. Would like to check if it is advisable to have tankmates in the form of fishes like mountain minnows and small 2 inch rasboras?

Or are fish a NO NO?

Jenova
22nd May 2006, 07:45 PM
Have 5 crs in a moderately planted 3 ft tank, heavily decorated with drift wood providing lots of crooks and crannies. Would like to check if it is advisable to have tankmates in the form of fishes like mountain minnows and small 2 inch rasboras?

Or are fish a NO NO?

Hi there,

My advice is not. I got baby Cherry Shrimps vanishing when I introduce rasboras. :huh:

They might look small and harmless, but when the hunger strikes, anything is tasty.

IMHO

centuryegg75
22nd May 2006, 08:10 PM
sigh I was at Biotope and the little fishes there are so nice! Was imagining a school of 30 to 40 pieces swimming around the tank.

Jenova
22nd May 2006, 08:57 PM
sigh I was at Biotope and the little fishes there are so nice! Was imagining a school of 30 to 40 pieces swimming around the tank.

30 to 40 pieces? Your shrimps will be scare to death.

Regards

retardo
23rd May 2006, 01:16 AM
personally, i'd make it a fish-only or a shrimp-only tank, unless you're planning on keeping amanos. CRS, Tigers, or other types of dwarf shrimp should not be kept with fish. The young hatch usually around 2-3mm, which is still an ideal meal size for any fish, rasbora or not. If your tank is heavily planted, there may be some chance that offspring can survive, but with a school of 30-40, I doubt that you'll have survivors.

centuryegg75
23rd May 2006, 01:19 AM
Noted! Thanks for the advice...:)

littar
9th Jul 2006, 12:12 AM
Guys, what about otocindus?
I believe it is a type of algae eater. Would oto pose any threat to the shrimps?

Shrimper06
9th Jul 2006, 01:21 AM
Otos are safe to keep with shrimp and even shrimplets. This is due to the special shape of their mouths. I have one in my shrimp tank and all is well.

Nickel
9th Jul 2006, 11:25 AM
I keep a shrimp-only 3ft tank of CRS and cherries. No moss (I find it very messy look after a while and they grow wildly in my tank >( ) but just mini pellia on substrate as carpet and some on a spiny DW, and some HC and downoi to create some variety.

Hence shrimps roams freely as kings/queens in the tank, and hence my enjoyment :D , as they never know of predators in their life.

I have another 3ft tank of altums angels and cardinals in a planted tank :cool: .