PDA

View Full Version : RO water and Equilibrium

Gabs
21st May 2006, 04:57 PM
I'm doing partial water changes with RO water and add Seachem Equilibrium to restore important minerals. What is bothering me is that this product contains 0.11% of soluble Iron derived from ferric sulphate. Is this harmful for my shrips? If yes, what is the safest way to increase gh?

Thanking you

spinex
22nd May 2006, 12:36 PM
No problem with it. I'm dosing Equilibrium as well whenever i do a minor water change.

Gabs
22nd May 2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks spinex. I'll be adding Seachem's Alkaline buffer as well to increase the KH since right now it is very low, just 1KH. I'll try to have a stable 5KH.

I can finally see the baby Crs developing inside the eggs. Can such low KH be harmful for the new born shrimps?

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/2/4/7/crseggs.JPG

retardo
23rd May 2006, 01:25 AM
Newborns adjust quite a bit better to new water than their parents. If they've been incubated in water with a low KH, they should be able to adjust and grow up just fine, especially if the parents are having no problems surviving/thriving. I don't think we give enough credit to the hardiness of the little buggers as we should.

Also, I personally try to make it a rule to mess with water parameters as little as possible. The more you play with it, the less stable it is, and the more adjustments you have to keep making. It's a vicious cycle that is best avoided.

Gabs
23rd May 2006, 05:34 AM
Thanks for your advice retardo.

Parents seem to be doing perfectly well in water with low KH. No CRS losses and 3 pregnant females.

For the time being i'll stop messing with the water parameters which now read PH 6, KH 1, GH 3 and NO2 0.

spinex
23rd May 2006, 10:51 AM
Yah try to keep the parameters stable as advised.

If you don't have a CO2 enriched tank low KH won't be too much of an issue.

morphriz
7th Jul 2006, 05:15 PM
The nitrification bacteria use carbonates(eat up KH). So a too low KH can be dangerous since it might lead to a filter crash. I think KH of 3 is the minimum safe value. I'm not advocating against your opinions on adding chemicals. Do however consider adding a small amount of crushed seashells or lime to your tank to raise the KH abit. It's a cheap insurance against a potential disaster.
happy shrimping
//Mattias