PDA

View Full Version : How to move my shrimp?

CalicoKitties
18th May 2013, 03:17 PM
Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if I'm writing this in the right section, but here goes anyway.

So, I may be moving soon, and I've got 7 adult red cherry shrimp (a few of them are berried) along with quite a few baby shrimplets in a small tank (I spotted about 20 shrimplets! Woohoo!). The tank is only about 2.5 gallons, by the way.. But anyway, I was wondering what exactly I should do with my shrimp when I move.

What I plan on doing is using a bucket w/ a lid and filling it with the tank water, and poking some holes in the lid so they can have some air but the water won't splash out or anything. And I know that they like having something to hold onto, so I'll be putting the najas grass & java moss that's in the tank into the bucket as well. I'll also add my snails (I have some ramshorn and pond snails in a different tank) to it.

My main concerns are: Temperature, feeding, and oxygen.. Will the water get too cold for them? Their tank has a heater in it (It keeps it at 75F) and I dunno how hot or cold it would get just being in a bucket. And oxygen; Will the water be splashed around enough in the bucket to keep enough oxygen in the water?? Last one, should I add some food in there or would that stress them or something?

I'm not moving quite yet so there's no rush, really, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance. :)

QC Discus
18th May 2013, 07:06 PM
I would just drain the tank to about 1 - 1.5 inches
the oxygen will still get transferd so you don't need worry about that.
As for food. We ship shrimp and they don't feed for 4-5 days , so that's not a problem.
As for temp ?
Depends on where your at. Upstate Minnesota ? may be an issue. Illinois ? No problem again
we ship shrimp for 4-5 days with no heat.
Your shrimp-lets will be your least concern as they ship better then adults.
Go ahead and move they will be fine.
I just would not do a complete tear down , just remove any thing that might fall or shift and hurt the shrimp.

good luck

CalicoKitties
19th May 2013, 11:26 AM
Well, we're moving from TX to PA and I have no clue how long it'll take before I can set up my tank in the new house..

Glad to hear that food/oxygen wouldn't really be a problem for awhile :)

I'm not so sure about moving the tank itself though because the substrate in it is sand; Wouldn't sand get stirred up really easily & get bad stuff in the water?

Thanks for the answer! :)