PDA

View Full Version : Breeding fire red or blue rilli shrimp

sub-80
7th May 2013, 02:56 PM
Am thinking of building a second shrimp breeding tank. My first isn't going as well as I hoped. Wanted to have a red cherry shrimp breeding tank that has a nice aquascape but yesterday noticed 10 of my 13 shrimps were not hiding in the java moss but most likely dead since I can't find them and the tank is filled with algae. I am trying to repair it. But want start another shrimp breeding tank.

Question 1
Thinking either one type of species: fire red shrimp, blue rilli or red rilli shrimp.
Or a mixture of two or three what do you think?

Question 2
Am thinking of a 10gallon tank with dark substrate mixed with 1.5 tablespoons of crushed corals. With the java moss covering the whole substrate and a small sponge filter. Won't need to feed them only once a week for change of appetite. What do you think?

sub-80
8th May 2013, 12:50 AM
Please don't post spam here.

hyoushoku
11th May 2013, 07:43 PM
Question 1:
If you have a fully moss tank, pure fire red will be very pretty as the red stands out. If it is a normal shrimo breeding tank, you can go for a mix.

Question 2:
I will not use crushed coral in soft water tank. It is hard to control how fast it dissolved in the acidic water. Furthermore, as people said, carbonate will reduce breeding rate. For mineral supplement, I use tiny bit of food grade pure Calcium Ascorbate powder, together with other organic trace mineral powders. (My RO water is replenished with my own blend of mineral powders thus, I have plenty of these power to use)
Don't cover the entire substrate with moss. I suggest leave 20 to 30%. Moss grows more micro-flora and bare substrate grows more micro-fauna. Feeding on bare substrate will prevent gaunt covering the moss.