PDA

View Full Version : White Darting Things in My Shrimp Tank

babypiggy
18th May 2006, 03:56 AM
I've recently discovered that there are these small white darting things in my tank... I was wondering if anyone know what they are and are they harmfull to my shrimps?

retardo
18th May 2006, 04:11 AM
They are harmless.

babypiggy
18th May 2006, 05:53 AM
What is it?

Shrimper06
18th May 2006, 09:40 AM
They more likely are cyclops and are harmless as stated above. It is said that if cyclops are in the tank then water conditions are actually good for the shrimp. But don't forget to still keep good water quality.

babypiggy
18th May 2006, 10:33 PM
Hmmm interesting.... Because all my crs are dead.. I had about 6 of them too...

:huh: :embarasse

I thought cyclops only stick to the walls and stuff?
Not darting around...

Shrimper06
19th May 2006, 01:11 AM
sounds like you have major problems and they aren't cyclops. Is the water parameters right for the crs? Tell us more about the darting things, ie. size/shape/behavior.

silane
19th May 2006, 11:19 AM
I've recently discovered that there are these small white darting things in my tank... I was wondering if anyone know what they are and are they harmfull to my shrimps?

If you find they appear in large amount on most part of the glass wall, it is likely the water is too still.

My thought is, if the population able to multiple fast in a shrimp tank, that may indicate there is a plentiful of food for them and that in term indicate the quality of the water.

babypiggy
19th May 2006, 01:56 PM
No, I think the water perameters are Ok.
Been testing once a week.
Nitrate,nitrite,ammonia,phosphates are ZERO
temp is is 23C
ph is 7.4 or sumthing like that
I also have Live plants and natural substrate.

Well the rest of the shrimps are ok.
I have red nose,wild malayan,cherry,bumble bee,amino(or however you spell it) in the tank. I have about 12 shrimps.

I'm feeding the shrimps every other day with crab/lobster pellets and algae waffers(just like 1.2 a waffer)

Water change is done about 30% every two days.

It's hard to describe the white dots darting around.
They sometimes stick to surfaces, but I also see them darting around. They are not a perfect circle and looks kind of oval shape. They are too tiny even if I look with a magnifying glass.

I dont' think I have a water circulation problem. The tank is 2.5 gallons and I have 2 filters in there. One is a sponge filter and the other is a small filter that you stick on inside the tank. I guess you guys call it internal filter.

Frank
19th May 2006, 03:12 PM
2 filters and waterchange 30% every 2nd day is too much IMO.
For such a small tank 1 filter is enough.
Im changing water 1 time a week about 20-30%
Too clean water can cause problems.

toddnbecka
15th Jun 2006, 03:39 PM
CRS require soft, acidic water to thrive. They will not breed in alkaline water, and the adults don't live very long. They are also VERY sensitive to dissolved organic compounds, produced by decaying food, etc.