PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Red dying and a Supreme Red changing to a blueish color

kenrc51
25th Mar 2013, 01:51 PM
I've been having the same problem for about a month ago from my first post. From my first post my PFR that are housed in 20g long with CBS/CRS were dying slowly. One at a time, all signs are normal. They all eat and are active. The only shrimps that were dying was the PFR not the CBS/CRS. I stopped worrying because they stopped dying.

Until recently, I ordered some PFR from Nick's group buy and they were doing good for a few week. Yesterday I noticed one that was acting weird and that one die after a few hours and today I came home to a PFR that was lying upside down looks dead but when I picked it up the little legs moved a little. Only the PFR are dying and NOT the CBS/CRS

All these shrimps eat Shikikura, Boreno wild spinich, and grow, also along with some Hikiri shrimp cusine. I feed every 2-3 days.

Here are the water condition

Tank is Co2 injected
100% RO water, I change about 20% every 2 weeks occasionally once a week.
pH 6.0
GH 6.72
Kh 0 Not sure if it is zero because on the tester (tetra KH) I turned yellow color after one drop. It says that each drop is 1/2 KH. So my KH is either 1/2 or 0
ammonia 0
No2 less than 0.3 I do not have a No3 test.

Here is a video of the shrimp that ended up dying and the PFR that is turning blueish color.
http://youtu.be/zTXl8Qkt25Y

nosebleed
9th Apr 2013, 08:01 AM
It look like the ph is too low. I have mine in 7.8 to 8. Some people have it in the 7's and the where okay.

Navanod
9th Apr 2013, 11:49 AM
I personally do not think pH is the issue as Neocaridina can adapt to a slightly acidic pH.

I'm more concerned that you are still getting NO2 readings...which should not be the case in a matured tank.
Are you seeing these deaths after a waterchange?

PAULO SS CONCEIÇÃO
9th Apr 2013, 07:23 PM
hello.
the bigger the grade, more fragile they get, RCS it's easy PFR it's very fragile and having those NO2 readings and most of all CO2 injection, a admire how some are living at all including the CRS, the bluish color it's when they are in much stress the sometimes take that color, or take out the CO2 ou make a lot of aeration at the top to dissipate faster the CO2.

hyoushoku
9th Apr 2013, 08:53 PM
Your PFR look bloated.

You mentioned that you use RO water. Did you remineralized it before adding into the tank?

kenrc51
15th May 2013, 08:23 AM
Your PFR look bloated.

You mentioned that you use RO water. Did you remineralized it before adding into the tank?

Yeah, I remineralized the water after each change. I remineralize before I fill the tank, that why I do not treat the whole tank. My GH is 4-5.

Well, I found out the cause of my shrimps dying. The owner kept them in tap and only treat with Prime for chlorine. He says that Neo's does best with tap instead of RO.

hyoushoku
15th May 2013, 11:04 AM
Actually, what the owner told you is not true.

The truth is that Neo does better with slightly higher GH compared to Caridina. My neo's population is booming like crazy in RO water.

Asphalt art
26th May 2013, 12:33 PM
From what I have experienced your TDS is too low for RCS variants. I had issues until I brought my TDS up to above 180. Yours cannot be much more than 60-70 with no Kh and only 6-ish Gh. You do need a some Kh, it is not like Ammo or Nitrites.

Pégaso
28th Jun 2013, 01:03 PM
Neocaridinas like Cherry, Yellow and Blue Pearl show their best colours in pH between 7,2 - 7,5 and KH around 5.