PDA

View Full Version : Neocaridina blue - crossbreeding - question/advice

maxslither
20th Mar 2013, 03:22 AM
I am fairly new to this but I have done a fair amount of research, so hopefully I don't sound like too much of an idiot.
I know that Neocaridinas are prone to breed with one another (cross breed), and lots has been said about the offspring being ugly, and/or brown/natural colour. But what about if the species in question are colour-similar.

To put this in context; I am interested in blue pearl shrimp, i think they're stunning. However when looking for them, I seem to find shrimp that look the same, with different species names. For example the "blue pearl shrimp" has been listed as "Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis", but there is also the blue rili "Neocaridina heteropoda" which looks extremely similar and the blue cherry "blueberry" (blue spots) is also "heteropoda", not to mention the Blue jelly (again "heteropoda"). All of these are very similar shrimp (maybe with exception of the blue cherry). Sometimes I even think they get mixed up with each other.

What do you think would happen if I mixed these together? would the offspring be a monstrosity, would it even work?
The blue pearls I look at have a few red spots (not too fond of that), the "blue rili" look like they've been kept with all sorts, and in one of the pictures one had a red head and tail (i don't quite trust that). and anything more trustworthy looking, is extortionately priced (like the blue jelly). I was hoping a mixture might even out the gene pool, but it could be wishful thinking, I thought I'd consult someone else to see.
Advice, theories, all welcome.

ro smith
20th Mar 2013, 10:59 AM
blue rili is N. Heterapoda, Blue pearl is N Zhangjiajienensis, if you hybridize them you will create an unstable wild strain, meaning it will be hard to keep a colour/ pattern to breed true. a mixture will destroy the gene pool. you will lose all of the selective breeding done if you mix two different strains of the same species. so my advice is to keep individual varieties of Neocaridina seperate from eachother, you could set up a breeding experiment tank, and try crossing, it is possible to get interesting things, but if you go cross species don't ever give them to anybody! EVER! Hybrids taint and damage pureline strains. and if you cross different varieties of the same species you can distribute them, but don't call them "wild" call them something like "mixed" or "rainbow" Neocaridina...

maxslither
20th Mar 2013, 12:20 PM
Thank you for that. I may well do that in the far-distant future then in a different tank, if curiosity gets the better of me (as an experiment).
For now, i think I might just bite the bullet and purchase some "blue jelly" shrimp, neocaridina (selectively bred in Taiwan from blue rili's). Once I'm 100% sure that my tank is fully cycled of course (just got some nitrites to be rid of).
Thank you again for the reply, much appreciated.

Nemue
10th Aug 2013, 11:43 AM
I have heard the Blue velvets are a more stable strain and tend to breed true. They have a slightly more intense coloration than the blue pearls.