PDA

View Full Version : tigers and Sulawesi shrimp?

ro smith
8th Mar 2013, 10:41 AM
so I'm running out of tank space and out of necessity may need to put my tigers in my Sulawesi setup. is this a bad idea? will the tigers breed at a ph of 8? I have them at 7.4 right now and not much is happening although they are only about 4 month old...
anything else on the topic would be appreciated!

Nubster
26th Mar 2013, 08:28 AM
Not sure they'd even live at pH 8.

ro smith
26th Mar 2013, 12:48 PM
they are kinda living at 7.6 except a bacterial infection just wiped them out, came home after a weekend away, to find 7 of 10 tigers dead, two died within the next 2 days, it was obviously bacterial... my last one is doing fine, I'm getting some buffering substrate though, I'm gunna use him to make tiger-bees!

Nubster
27th Mar 2013, 04:22 AM
There you go. That's a good idea. Hope the last one hangs on for you. I love those things but for me they have been hard to keep. I've tried pH 6.5 and pH 7.6 and no luck with either. Temps might have been my issue as I had the tanks up in the low 70's. If I try again, I'm going to try to maintain as close to 70 as I can which might be hard with the heat on in the house since it's still cold outside. I'll have to rig up a fan to blow across the top of the water to keep the tamp down I guess. I think the lower pH helps against bacterial infections too.

ro smith
27th Mar 2013, 11:18 AM
I've heard a oh of 7.0 is perfect I have no idea though, the temp is a big thing, my last one is very healthy and is shedding fine, but I'm getting some bee shrimp soil, and some wine reds, because they seem to be the cheapest Taiwan bee out there, I hope he will make the female pregnant, sometime I guess it doesn't happen... I put melafix in my tanks, I didn't the water change before I left, and something maybe a snail died or something and triggered the bacteria... but you can use it at 1/2 or 1/4 dosage, I recommend 1/4 which is 1.25 ml per 10Gal or 1.25ml per 38L

yangqian
30th Mar 2013, 02:12 AM
I have my tank with 17 tangerine tigers and 20 caridina denerlli.

I maintained a constant PH 7, GH 7 and 25 degree celsius. I tried to play around with the intersection of acceptable water parameters for both species, and of course, my plants.

well, i do not have enough posts to attach any pictures to prove my point.

welshweeks
30th Mar 2013, 03:40 AM
How many posts are required before you can PM and post up pictures?

ro smith
30th Mar 2013, 04:57 AM
20 posts! just 3 more

welshweeks
30th Mar 2013, 05:13 AM
Almost there!!

welshweeks
30th Mar 2013, 06:08 AM
Well I've hit 20 posts but can't see the option to PM???