PDA

View Full Version : Algae on the walls....

JLui83
5th May 2006, 10:22 PM
I have a 10 gal red cherry shrimp only tank. I have a problem with algae on the walls now..What can I do about this other than scrubbing it off? What fish/snail can I keep in there? I want to breed the red cherry's so.. I need something that won't harm my plants or the shirmplets.. What do you use?

babypiggy
5th May 2006, 10:25 PM
Why would you want to get rid of the algea?
It's food for the shrimps..
I do not think you can introduce any fish in the tank if you want to breed them.It's best that there are no fish in the tank so that the shrimps will reproduce.

JLui83
5th May 2006, 10:29 PM
do the shrimp eat the algae on the walls too?.

babypiggy
5th May 2006, 10:35 PM
do the shrimp eat the algae on the walls too?.
Yes. Algea is food for the shrimps. When you have shrimplets they will for sure be on the walls. The reason you have algea problem in your tank is because your water nutrients is imbalanced.

JLui83
6th May 2006, 12:02 AM
I think its mainly b/c I leave the lights on for way to long..... I turn them on before i head off to work.. around 6:30am.. .then dont turn them off until I get home for the day.. maybe 10 pm........

babypiggy
6th May 2006, 12:13 AM
It may be a good idea to get a timer.
:)

JLui83
6th May 2006, 01:27 AM
I guess in my mind I wanted my plants to grow faster.. hehe. so more light = faster growth.. I guess I was wrong. :-P

I found a liquid fertilizer but it says its IRON enriched.. I dont know if this is safe for shrimp....

ILIKESHRIMPS
13th Jul 2006, 01:01 PM
I make the same mistake when i started. Hoping for faster growth, my lights are on for long hours too. But realise that i have to spend time clearing up because i got an algae bloom. Control your timing to around maybe 9-10 hours. :cool: Advisable to get a timer.