PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Yamato and Cherry

Cosmic
3rd Apr 2005, 11:22 AM
I have some cherry shrimps in a 4ft community tank (cardinals, SAE, Otos, rummy) and have thought of adding Yamato to control some algae. Not sure if this is a formula for disaster as my cherry are already breeding and I've read about the "appetite" of Yamato. Any experiences of having the s species in the same tank? :bs_help:

jojoecute
3rd Apr 2005, 01:26 PM
Should not be a problem, shrimplets will find thier food in the tank..
As i don't really see what my shrimplets eat but it grow by itself.

I have some cherry shrimps in a 4ft community tank (cardinals, SAE, Otos, rummy) and have thought of adding Yamato to control some algae. Not sure if this is a formula for disaster as my cherry are already breeding and I've read about the "appetite" of Yamato. Any experiences of having the s species in the same tank? :bs_help:

Pconnieae
3rd Apr 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I have a 3ft tank with 8 Yamatoes and a lot of Cherries and their babies (more than 100). There is no problem of cohabitation. But I am not so sure that Yamatoes will eat more algae than Cherries :) .

Walter
3rd Apr 2005, 05:54 PM
yup i think it isnt a problem too.. they will find food themselves :)

Pconnieae
3rd Apr 2005, 11:44 PM
I agree with you. Finding food will not be a problem in a 4ft tank especially if it is well planted :).

Ljung
4th Apr 2005, 09:33 AM
last weekend saw my yamato holding and eating a bee shrimp head!! :eek:
any idea whether the bee alread dead before being eaten or being hunted? :confused: :confused:

Pconnieae
4th Apr 2005, 09:40 AM
In my opinion the bee shrimp was already dead. I have never seen my yamatoes attacking my cherries.

simcb
4th Apr 2005, 09:42 AM
last weekend saw my yamato holding and eating a bee shrimp head!! :eek:
any idea whether the bee alread dead before being eaten or being hunted? :confused: :confused:

Its probably dead.....my yamato doesnt really attack shrimp although its pretty aggressive during feeding. Just dont starve them for too long....yamato will die of hunger....and you will see them eating each other. yucks.

Walter
4th Apr 2005, 01:05 PM
Yes i agree that the shrimp is probably dead already.. that's why i think it is good to have some yamatoes in the tank.. they help clear dead shrimps which may be out of our view, thus reduce ammonia build up from dead shrimps.. :)

Cosmic
20th Apr 2005, 09:01 PM
I've bought 5 mid sized Yamatos for my community tank (tertas, platys etc) but they seem rather slow at gobbling up algae. I know I need to be patient :D but for a 4 ft tank, how many Yamatos do you think its the right amount ???

BTW, I have about 20 cherries and malayan as well in the same tank.

Walter
20th Apr 2005, 10:11 PM
I've bought 5 mid sized Yamatos for my community tank (tertas, platys etc) but they seem rather slow at gobbling up algae. I know I need to be patient :D but for a 4 ft tank, how many Yamatos do you think its the right amount ???

BTW, I have about 20 cherries and malayan as well in the same tank.

i think they have not stabled in your tank... once yamatoes are stabled, they eat eat eat :shocked: :cool:

hmmm a 4feet tank can house alot of shrimps, depending on your filtration and amount of hiding place :)

Cosmic
21st Apr 2005, 12:14 AM
i think they have not stabled in your tank... once yamatoes are stabled, they eat eat eat :shocked: :cool:

hmmm a 4feet tank can house alot of shrimps, depending on your filtration and amount of hiding place :)

I started with plants and fishes (only about 32 small ones in 4 ft tank) but have found myself more interested in shrimps. Just love to see the shripms scramping around and just find that more relaxing that fishes swimming about.

Anyway..... 5 Yamatos have been in for about a week now. Hope they stabalize soon or I may just add another 5 pces in as my tank is still relatively light in fauna.

Thanks for the advice !