PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp not holding eggs/My water parameters

maromi
18th Jan 2013, 06:37 AM
hello if there is a better place for this please forgive, and move it. :)

I have Cherry Shrimp and Green babaulti shrimp. I am having trouble getting any females to hold eggs. I had green females with eggs but today saw some green eggs on the ground. I regularly find Cherry Shrimp eggs and no females are berried ever despite them being very large and I have multiple males. I had some problems with cherries dying off which seems to have stopped now, but still lots of egg dropping.

My tank:
5 gallons
10 Cherries and 10 babaultis (roughly)
Water change of about 10% every three or four days.
Temp: 78
Been testing the water daily and these parameters have been steady:
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 7.8
GH: 6
KH: 6

I use Borneowild foods but do not feed often as I have algae in the tank and it is heavily planted with java fern, and TONS of dwarf chain sword. HOB filter with sponge on intake. Sponge cleaned out in pitcher of tank water every two-three weeks. Tank is three months old.

I do not understand nearly everything about water parameters and if anyone sees and problem there I'd love some advice. I have researched and read that young mothers will drop eggs but this is now on multiple "rounds" if you will with the cherries, and once now with the babaultis. So far I am pondering if the water temp is too high? Some things I read mention a bit lower for breeding results, and I am also thinking I may need to just go with a ten gallon to see if that helps stabilize things. Like I mentioned those parameters do not seem to change (well over a month now I've been testing, started testing GH and KH about 2-3 weeks ago every other day), and I test the water often.

Ducks
18th Jan 2013, 10:01 AM
pH is high. Might work, but would be better to get it closer to 7. I'd also lower the temp to 75 or so.

maromi
19th Jan 2013, 06:33 AM
O.k. thanks for your input. I lowered the temp and it's at 76 now, as much of my continued reading yesterday agreed with your suggestion.

hyoushoku
21st Jan 2013, 12:07 AM
How long has your tank been setup?

cantsay39
21st Jan 2013, 08:22 AM
Maybe you should upgrade your tank,10 gallon is standard, its best kept at 20 gallon that way water parameters are stable.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jimbok3
22nd Jan 2013, 10:21 AM
Maybe you should upgrade your tank,10 gallon is standard, its best kept at 20 gallon that way water parameters are stable.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Yes a larger tank is more stable but his levels are fine, I personally have small tanks and no problems have come up. (I have been at this for a while and learned from my mistakes) Something is preventing the eggs from attaching, after a few days the eggs become attached to the female and will stay their until they hatch or until she molts. The frequent water changes may be stressing them out, don't do to many water changes, let the tank sit for a week or two and watch the females. I haven't done water changes on my newest shrimp tank since I started it on 12/28, and have had a lot of babies and stable levels. My females are beginning to berry again, if they are stressed they won't keep their eggs or mate.

DubSmacks
22nd Jan 2013, 11:31 AM
I have had my PFR shrimp berried and having babies at PH 8.8+ so its not ur PH (bad testing equipment led to that). It may just be that they are young. I noticed you have your first gen. only so it is normal for young females to drop their eggs especially the first time they are berried. I would just give it time. As long as your shrimp do not show signs of distress themselves such as lethargy or if your shrimp act like they are drunk (infection or high ammonia/nitrate/nitrite/temperature) then they should be fine