PDA

View Full Version : RCS disfigured after getting sucked by water filter.... will he recover?

mtflight
9th Jan 2013, 10:46 AM
Hello this is my 2nd post. One of my RCS got sucked up into the filter when I was trying to remove two shrimp from the sponge. I lifted the sponge not understanding that doing so created a dangerous situation for the shrimp--direct suction through the pump. At least I think that's what happened. Another possibility is that the shrimp was finding a hideout for hatching its eggs and it went too far. I'm not really sure how it happened because I noticed it hours later.

Some of its legs are bent the wrong way, and its nose seems off and its antenna are gone. It seems to be thriving alright so I hope it will slowly molt its way back to normal. I feel terrible and have since disabled that filter and gone with a sponge filter instead.

The blessing out of this, was finding dozens and dozens of little white dots everywhere. I am assuming they are red cherry shrimp.

Jimbok3
12th Jan 2013, 06:17 AM
If the little guy is able to move around and eat he should be able to recover over time. Those little white dots look like one of the baby shrimp I found in my tank last night. :)

mtflight
12th Jan 2013, 06:33 AM
If the little guy is able to move around and eat he should be able to recover over time. Those little white dots look like one of the baby shrimp I found in my tank last night. :)

I noticed this morning that the little shrimp molted and while it's still not 100% its "nose" has straightened out and its antennae are growing back :) It had lost a little bit of color.

As far as the white dots, I believe they are copepods. :undecided I noticed there are two types, males and females. The females look like they have rocket boosters, but they are actually egg sacks.

This is kind of weird, but I've read they are harmless. I wish I had fish in that tank to eat the copepods.