PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Shrimps

babypiggy
26th Apr 2006, 08:50 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have shrimps in my 72 gallon fish tank. It is VERY heavily planted.
How would I go about catching shrimps that I don't even see in the tank?

retardo
26th Apr 2006, 09:55 AM
Build a cage-like trap using plastic mesh that looks similar to a crabbing trap (four walls with a small entrance). Allow one of the walls to be fully operational (open/close), so that you will be able to retrieve the shrimp once they all go in. Bait the trap and allow the shrimp to go into the cage for food. When you think you've caught a sufficient number of them, simply pull out the entire trap and put it into another container with water from the tank you caught the shrimp from. Open the cage door and allow all the shrimp to escape into the water. They can probably find a way out, but chances of all of them getting out at the same time is unlikely. Either way, it's minimal stress on the shrimp.

arctus
26th Apr 2006, 03:41 PM
Hi babypiggy and everyone.

To catch my shrimp, I used the bottle trap, an old tric

look:

http://www.image-dream.com/membre/up/anonym/cf37f1fe3cb35118d1e53e2b0388592b.jpg

You make some food, in the bottom of your bottle, and you put all in your tank.

And you wait, the shrimps go on, but she can't go out ;) .

babypiggy
26th Apr 2006, 10:15 PM
Hmmm Seems simple.
The holes on the body of the bottle... what would u use to make them so the shrimp won't go out of those holes?

arctus
26th Apr 2006, 10:26 PM
A little screwdriver.
http://www.image-dream.com/membre/up/anonym/3c607c1ad447c7a35f0cb2ccce52eadc.jpg

:)

babypiggy
26th Apr 2006, 11:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Okay. I got cha.

How u attached the top to the rest of the bottle?

Oh yeah I forgot what would be a really good bait?

retardo
26th Apr 2006, 11:26 PM
The bottle design should work too. :cool: My only concern is that when the shrimp jerk, they could possibly get stuck in the crack where the inverted bottle top meets the rest of the bottle. At the speed of the jerk, they could get wedged in there pretty good, I would imagine. :embarasse

arctus
27th Apr 2006, 12:51 AM
It's not necessary to attached the top of the bottom to the rest.

I used food for corydoras, like this
http://www.image-dream.com/membre/up/anonym/ba3aa54dd637037d153bc8d9ba5c29b8.jpg
(sorry, I don't now the name in english :( ).

I think there no problems with this trap if you watch closely , I used this for a long time, and I never have problems ;)

babypiggy
27th Apr 2006, 12:00 PM
Just wondering where you placed the trap?

luenny
27th Apr 2006, 02:30 PM
Just wondering, why do you still need to put holes in your bottle? There is already a big hole in front where the shrimps enter, isn't that enough? I mean, water should be able to enter from there right? And if you fix the top of the bottle when it is completely submerged in the water, the you probably won't need to worry about air bubbles being trap there. Just my 2 cents.

babypiggy
28th Apr 2006, 02:54 AM
Just wondering, why do you still need to put holes in your bottle? There is already a big hole in front where the shrimps enter, isn't that enough? I mean, water should be able to enter from there right? And if you fix the top of the bottle when it is completely submerged in the water, the you probably won't need to worry about air bubbles being trap there. Just my 2 cents.
I think it is to increase water circulation

arctus
28th Apr 2006, 04:15 AM

Exactly, the hole were here to increase the water circulation and to attract the schrimps in the bottle.

When you put the bottle in your tank, a little part of food go out the bottle though the holes and attract the schrimps ;)

retardo
28th Apr 2006, 04:24 AM

This is definitely a good purpose. You don't want the bait in the trap to foul up the water, especially since it's in a confined space. This is why my preference is the cage, rather than a bottle. :cool:

babypiggy
2nd May 2006, 03:55 AM
Well I tried the trap. But couldn't trap any shrimps. I left the trap in there for a few days changing the food a lot of times. *sighs*

Any other recommendation on hwo i can catch my shrimps in a heavily planted tank? hehe

Jake
2nd May 2006, 11:29 AM
I use the same trap. If you don't have any small holes to add circulation, too long and the shrimp will die in the trap, too long being 3+ hours or so.

Try different food. What really worked well for me is omega one veggie rounds or HBH moist spirulina pellets (frozen food replacement).

babypiggy
3rd May 2006, 01:41 AM
I think I'll just leave them alone in the big tank.

:cry:

droid
10th Apr 2008, 06:42 PM
If you really want them out, prune your plants and clear an area at one end. Drive the shrimp using your fingertips to thoroughly flush the shrimp towards the opening. Net as many as you can. Do this once or twice a day, and each time you should catch less shrimp.

Note: After a major trimming of plants, CO2 enrichment may need adjusted to maintain a desired pH.

Pens 4, Sens 0
droid

marrow
24th Apr 2008, 04:30 AM
I have used a bottle trap today to catch shrimp for the first time. I used to use them to catch crayfish in a stream when I was a Kid. I used a vitamin water bottle, cut the top off about 1 and 3/4 inch from the top. Inverted it and stuck it to the other half. I have not fed my shrimp for a few days and one algae pellet in the bottle is drawing them in quickly. I have emptied it twice already. I am sure there will be a few hold outs in my heavily planted tank but a few killifish followed by a toxic level of co2 should clean them all out. This is required as somehow a cherry got in with my blue pearls. Anyway big up the bottle trap.