PDA

View Full Version : beginner needs help on ghost shrimps!!

chunzhu
15th Apr 2006, 10:28 PM
Any one have any idea why is my ghost shrimps turning to opaque white??? Is it due to some diseases or is it getting cooked?? My water temperature is 27-28 degree.

diki
17th Apr 2006, 05:00 PM
I think ghost shrimps can withstand the temp of 27-28. It is the water condition if I'm not wrong. How long has the tank being recycled? Are there plamts inside? Did u add any new plants? Did you add any chemicals into the water? You got keep fishes? What fishes do u keep with the shrimps?

All the above questions are to narrow down the possibilities. Maybe you should give us what is your setup and how long the tank is operational. Any inputs would help to identify why this is so.

BTW, opaque shrimps means they are likely dying. Don't think it is disease. Not getting cooked but shrimps generally prefer cool water.

luenny
17th Apr 2006, 06:38 PM
How long have you had the shrimps? The need some time to settle down if you've just recently put them in.

chunzhu
17th Apr 2006, 07:34 PM
I have my shrimps for 3 weeks already. The water has been cycled for 2 weeks with java moss before the shrimps are introduced. I don'z have anything else added to it. Jusz a tank with java moss and shrimps and an air stone connected to an air pump. I don't have a test kit but once in a while I topped up "old" water. That's about it.

sandiegoryu
9th May 2006, 06:51 AM
Hi i'm really noob when it comes to shrimps, but I've had ghost shrimps before. And when they turned white, I've read somewhere that it is because they failed to molt, and will die soon... All my ghost shrimp died this way. Did not add calcium or iodine to their diet :-(.

chunzhu
10th May 2006, 03:09 AM
Mine died one by one. It is like some poison which they accumulate and die when their immune system is totally down. I suspect it might be chloramine or some other causes but definitely not ammonia because if it is the cause of ammonia, they will most likely die within days and they will not turn white before they die. They will turn white only after days of decaying inside the water after death. It is a slow process that causes it to turn white but in my case the shrimps turn white slowly or a portion of it became white and it slowly spread to other areas of the shrimp. Anyway I'm running out of ghost shrimps to do much more speculation and i am trying my best to save one last batch of eggs that is about to hatch. Anyway are you still rearing any shrimps and what kind?