PDA

View Full Version : Breeding colors

shrimpfreak
17th Oct 2012, 08:05 AM
Hi All,

I've been trying to find an answer but haven't seen much. My question is what would happen if you bred the different color morphs of neocaridina heteropoda together? For example
neocaridina heteropoda var "red" x neocaridina heteropoda var "orange" etc... Would new color strain eventually be created?

etcamire04
17th Oct 2012, 10:50 AM
It should depend of the dominance and co-dominance of the gene color. If the red color as an higher dominance than orange, mostly all the shrimp will get red. Co-dominance is would be if the two color could be express at the same way could make an other color. But I don't think the second option is possible. You will simply lose one color or even have less good coloration of each one since the coloration is a selection made by humans.

shrimpfreak
17th Oct 2012, 02:51 PM
@etcamire04
Thanks for the info. I am looking at having a tank of mixed colors (red/orange/yellow , etc) and I was curious how this would be several generations down the road.

Yiannis
24th Oct 2012, 09:25 PM
What if the colors are very near..? For examble Orange and Yellows crossbreeding? There will be gray ugly shrimplets too, or variation of color tones between Orange and Yellow?? I'm very interested since I have some Orange females with no males ( died during the trip) and I'm thinking about using my yellow males...

Drakarian
25th Oct 2012, 11:31 AM
Again, as etcamire04 said, it all boils down to the particular "genetic set" you got in your shrimp, i.e. which breeding line you got it from. Think about it something like pedigrees of dogs.

Anyway, I've been specifically crossbreeding what I do have, so these are from my observations. Take what I have found with a pinch of salt, because your particular shrimp might be from vastly different lines from what I got. But assuming you have the same lines as me:

Blue Rili (with red markings) can be bred with orange neocaridina to get yellow neocaridina, can also be bred with yellow neocaridina to get a dirty green-yellow. Breeding with the so-called golden-back yellow has not been attempted.

Orange neocaridina breeding with cherry/sakura/ fire red will give you mostly orange, some darker and some lighter. In some cases, I have gotten a dirty brown offspring, similar to what you would get from breeding yellow and red.

Consensus so far has been yellow and red will give you "wild" colouration. Have yet to see a strain that does not do so.

Preferably, keep Blue and orange, that way you get a range of 3 to 4 colours.

Yiannis
25th Oct 2012, 06:11 PM
Many thanks for your detailed and very informative reply!
I will use Sakura males instead of the Yellows that I was going to. What I want is to get more Orange and make a colony exlusively from them.
Regards

Drakarian
27th Oct 2012, 01:29 AM
Hey Yiannis, if you're interested in an exclusively orange line, I'd advice maybe orange and yellows instead of sakura and orange. Because for me, sakura lines can be vastly different, and some of them might be one of those that will result in a wild type coloration cross with your oranges. Of course, if you want to be safe, just test out and monitor carefully first with a couple of orange and reds. Anyhow, since sakuras have had a wider genetic base to begin with, it's always the wiser choice, as you have decided ^^, to cross with them, getting hardier shrimp.

Yiannis
27th Oct 2012, 02:22 AM
Well, dear Drakarian, I do not have the tank space for experimending..I wish I had.. neither do I like to cull and throw away tha ugly(gray-brown) ones.. I believe the Heteropodas are very hardy anyway, so I will go for the Orange/Yellow combination. This was my idea too in the beginning, since these two colors seem to be the closest .
Thanks again!