PDA

View Full Version : Co2 going NUTS with Sunlight?!

Supatank
10th Oct 2012, 08:23 AM
I've been noticing my diy co2 gives off a crazy amount of gas release when its stationed next to a window or in direct sunlight. Is anyone else experiencing this? I thought that it has to be in a dark environment, or does that only apply when making liquor? In the dark its only able to produced maybe 1 bubble every 7-10 seconds.

Servc
10th Oct 2012, 11:26 AM
Pretty much all chemical reactions speed up with an increase in temp. The sunlight coming in is heating up the mixture causing it to move more on the molecular level. The increase in movement is an increase in collision between the sugar and yeast causing them producing more CO2. Just think about a hot coke vs a cold coke. The hot one will lose its carbonation faster.

Supatank
10th Oct 2012, 12:41 PM
Pretty much all chemical reactions speed up with an increase in temp. The sunlight coming in is heating up the mixture causing it to move more on the molecular level. The increase in movement is an increase in collision between the sugar and yeast causing them producing more CO2. Just think about a hot coke vs a cold coke. The hot one will lose its carbonation faster.

That was what i thought at first too, so i put the co2 bottle in a cup with warm water to see what happen. It did produce a little faster bubble (1 bub every 5-6 sec), but nothing like when the sun hit it directl; i was getting like 4-5bps. Maybe something else is happening & not co2 production? any idea?

RONY11
10th Oct 2012, 03:00 PM
Even I've seen this during winter inorder to give the DIY yeast CO2 a jump start I would add a bowl luke warm water under the CO2 bottle and it would start reacting producing bubbles like crazy in no time.

I've noted when I keep the co2 bottle on the window sill with direct sunlight the reaction is accelerated.
So I've come to the conclusion Warm temp. results into quick reaction of the DIY yeast CO2.

Servc
10th Oct 2012, 09:56 PM
The heat of the light is constant where as the cup of warm water will lose its heat to the bottle, at speeds depending on its volume. It takes time and energy to heat up your diy yeast co2 bottle, so by the time your cup heats it up enough to notice anything it could already have lost most of its heat.

Supatank
11th Oct 2012, 11:58 AM
that make sense, but i also read that it could be the bi-product of alcohol vapor instead of co2?

Servc
11th Oct 2012, 07:45 PM
My friend makes bottom level moonshine and I know he keeps his mash in a closet. But to actually get alcohol vapor out of it to make the liquor he has to heat it up to something like 208 degrees. And he only yields 1 gallons of alcohol out of 5 gallons of mash if he only runs it threw once. Don't know how big your bottle is but if it can fit into a cup I'm guess 20 or 16.9 ounce and the alcohol that will make it into the gas stage at room/window temp isn't going to be anywhere near 20% probably more like a fraction of 1%. Also once it hits your tank water it is going to go back into liquid state so you won't see it come out as bubbles. If you are worried about the alcohol affecting your fish it will be diluted to a negligible amount.

Supatank
20th Oct 2012, 02:11 PM
My friend makes bottom level moonshine and I know he keeps his mash in a closet. But to actually get alcohol vapor out of it to make the liquor he has to heat it up to something like 208 degrees. And he only yields 1 gallons of alcohol out of 5 gallons of mash if he only runs it threw once. Don't know how big your bottle is but if it can fit into a cup I'm guess 20 or 16.9 ounce and the alcohol that will make it into the gas stage at room/window temp isn't going to be anywhere near 20% probably more like a fraction of 1%. Also once it hits your tank water it is going to go back into liquid state so you won't see it come out as bubbles. If you are worried about the alcohol affecting your fish it will be diluted to a negligible amount.

That good to know, thks.